400MH vs. 600Con. for veg?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primitive

Reaction score
I'm stumped here guys; in a stictly veg area, would I be better off with the increased blue spectrum from 400w MH's, or the increased overall lumens from 600w conversion bulbs?

This is for two fixtures over a 3x6 flood tray.

primitive said:
I'm stumped here guys; in a stictly veg area, would I be better off with the increased blue spectrum from 400w MH's, or the increased overall lumens from 600w conversion bulbs?

This is for two fixtures over a 3x6 flood tray.

IMO now this is only what i have come to see..

but i think it would be a beter purchase for the 600w con. but use nothing but HPS .. less heat.. for one and im noticing alot of "MH" users are switching to HPS for all..
im doing a HPS from start to fin..
LH

Hi Primitive-

I guess I'm confused by your question.....

What do you mean by 600w conversion bulb? You have a 400w mh and a 600w mh ballast?

I would go with two 600hps lamps if I was you. Hps lights put off much more heat than an mh so ventilation would be a must. Hps works great for veg and even better for flower.

BBFan said:
Hi Primitive-

I guess I'm confused by your question.....

What do you mean by 600w conversion bulb? You have a 400w mh and a 600w mh ballast?

Well, I have a bunch of ballasts, including a 400/600 switchable, but my current gear doesn't matter for my question, which is: what will vegging plants be happier with, the greater blue spectrum from a 400w true MH, or more lumens from a 600w conversion bulb meant for HPS ballasts. Heat is not an issue.

You see, the 400w true MH actually still has much more in the blue spectrum than the 600w "blue" HPS conversion bulbs. But, a 400w puts out much less lumens overall. And for some reason they don't make true MH bulbs in 600w. And thus I'm left asking this question.:D

maineharvest said:
I would go with two 600hps lamps if I was you. Hps lights put off much more heat than an mh so ventilation would be a must. Hps works great for veg and even better for flower.

Wow.

I'd never heard of someone using HPS in veg(when given the choice), now I've heard that twice in this thread. I'd have to seriously check into that of course, but hell, I suppose that's a third option. Anyone else use HPS in veg?

i do as well. i got mine under a 400w hps and they stay nice and bushy.

but if you got two fixtures you could use both. either use a light mover or swap the girls every 12hrs

hps looks way nicer when you watch them too

primitive said:
Well, I have a bunch of ballasts, including a 400/600 switchable, but my current gear doesn't matter for my question, which is: what will vegging plants be happier with, the greater blue spectrum from a 400w true MH, or more lumens from a 600w conversion bulb meant for HPS ballasts. Heat is not an issue.

You see, the 400w true MH actually still has much more in the blue spectrum than the 600w "blue" HPS conversion bulbs. But, a 400w puts out much less lumens overall. And for some reason they don't make true MH bulbs in 600w. And thus I'm left asking this question.:D

Well, I had the same question, so I did a test. There's just no contest in lumen output to enhanced spectrum IMHO. If you're running 2 fixtures that can run 600 watt units- I'd go with 1 of each, getting a total lumens of about 8000 per square foot in all the right spectrums.

Here's the test I did:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48494

BBFan said:
Well, I had the same question, so I did a test. There's just no contest in lumen output to enhanced spectrum IMHO. If you're running 2 fixtures that can run 600 watt units- I'd go with 1 of each, getting a total lumens of about 8000 per square foot in all the right spectrums.

Here's the test I did:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48494

Thank you thank you thank you, your test was just what I was looking for.

And, that's what I've got already. 2 600w conversions in my veg room, I just got this idea in my head when i upgraded the light for my moms and got a 400/600 switchable ballast with a 400MH, and actually saw the difference in the spectrum charts. But now I may just throw a 600 over the moms too!

Hey Primitive-
Your welcome.

I just took a look at your journal- nice set up.

You got something new going on? With that lighting capability, I'm guessing you get pretty good results. Happy Growing! :cool:

BBFan said:
Hey Primitive-
Your welcome.

I just took a look at your journal- nice set up.

You got something new going on? With that lighting capability, I'm guessing you get pretty good results. Happy Growing! :cool:

Thanks, that was an intermediate spot to learn about using a screen while my new place was being prepped. My flower room is 4 4x4's like that now, with a single 3x6 veg area(which, for this county, is actually legal!). Currently doing Blue Cheese, GDP(which is not taking to scrog growing), Grape punch, and just got some Blue Dream to fill the 4th table in a few weeks, then back to Afgoo again when I harvest the Blue Cheese!

I'm planning on throwing up a journal soon, I'm just a bit embarrassed by the clutter right now, after getting the thing up and running and moving in and everything, I find I have no energy now to bracket cords to the walls and all that crap.

I read a few more of your threads BTW, looking forward to your UVB analysis, that's up there on my list of new gadgets to try too:D

Can't wait to see the pics Primitive.

I can only dream about a set up like you describe. Ol' BBFan would never again see the outside of the prison walls if he got caught with a set up like that. :eek: Even though I got the space, the risk is too big. I sure do envy you.

Happy Growing Man! :cool:

Funny thing is, I could comfortably fit 2 more 4x4's in the flower room; but since I can have this setup legally, I considered, could two more trays be worth risking everything? Of course not...but, if I had this place in a county with a ridiculous six plant limit, I'd have it packed to the gills, with plants in DWC pots at the edges.

So I'm a great example of compliance through logical legislation it seems.

When the authorities are reasonable, many people will choose to follow the law. When the law is a joke, many, or most, will laugh at it accordingly.

God I'm stoned.;)

Latest posts

Back