5 gallon buckets in the trees

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edward

Reaction score
i have a tree stand that has a fold up latter that straps to the tree and am going to go 20 ft up and cut off a branch and notch it on top to suport a 5 gal. bucket. what kind of soil and addatives would i need to use. im in south east alaska and there will be long hrs of light. im planin on going back every week to water. dear all over the place is way im gettin up off the ground. there is enough privace that i can take them down and supper crop the only way to get to my spot is by boat and then canoe to shore . i planted in the ground last year and dear thought it was an all u can eat salad bar. so i think this will work any advise would be helpfull

well it will be fun to watch ,,,,what nutes do you normally use ?and i would use a good (organic (if you can)) potting soil ,,,

goodluck:peace:

I really like this idea.We are over run with deer too.
Don't know squat about indoor growing but a tiny bit about outdoor growing. I'm a newbie.Reading and reading here. I think you would find all your questions answered, reading the grow guides on planting in buckets. Tons of tips.Watch out for squirrels in Oak trees, they are very distructive. Good luck!Maybe tie one of those famous man pee rags on your bucket. LOL

Too bad you didnt have one of those platform tree stands so then you could fit a few up there. But anyways, I would recommend the three part series of Fox Farm nutrients and I use Pro mix for soil. You should take some pics when you do this!!

Like Cowboy said I have also noticed that the deer never mess with my nice big plants. They always munch the small plants early in the season.

This year I am going to veg for atleast two months and then plant them outdoors.

And every time I go out to water I always relieve myself next to the plants. I think its a pretty good deer repellent.

I know a few people that said they have done it before but I always thought they were full of **** and crazy. Too much work for me. I would find a way to make it work on the ground before I would climb a tree. But I guess it helps having a tree stand.

Motor City Madman said:
Growing trees in trees. Now this is a new concept.

Not so new,,,but very very tireing caring water up a tree.:rolleyes:

Some stealth colored rope, a camo 5 gal. bucket and a pulley and you can get water up the tree without dying. I vote for 2 more buckets up there. Too much effort for just one. You mentioned boat, so water can't be too far. I would also put a couple in the ground away from the tree and fence them. The yield will be better than the tree and you double your chances of good bud for Halloween. I wish you all the best and props for thinking outside the box.

lol helicopter!!!!!!!!!!!!! but if your only growing 1 up their i think it ill be fine and yea i wound plant a couple on the ground case that 1 one turns out to be a male

I have built some pretty large and luxurious treestands..... This is an Idea I can build upon...... What you would need is a treestand- house... Kinda like the Swiss Family Robinson ) hehhehe..

You got to love it edward,
I have done this many times, and yes it can be done with minimum effort.
Once you have your materials, be sure to lay a good layer of lava stone, (super light weight) in the bottom of the bucket at least three inches thick to allow for good drainage.

For watering use a garden sprayer that you can pump up the pressure in and some black tubing used in and around aquariums.
You can get the tubing at any hardware store.
Utilize the pumped up pressure to force the water up the tubes and into your bucket and it won't matter if it over flows. You can also mix your ferts right into the sprayer now and again, just pump it up and squeeze the trigger and the water goes up and in.

In this way you can cut down on how many trips up and down the tree you make. You do want to water well.
Be certain to use a rope that will not stand out and break up the outline of your bucket. Also be certain to color blend as best you can. You will need to cover the top of the soil to cut back on evaporation, cause you will tend to dry out.
I can't wait to see your pics.
Good growing to ya.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna:cool:

wow i should rly try this im interested to see how it works for you if you do decide to do this half my crop was flooded out lastyear

edward said:
i have a tree stand that has a fold up latter that straps to the tree and am going to go 20 ft up and cut off a branch and notch it on top to suport a 5 gal. bucket. what kind of soil and addatives would i need to use. im in south east alaska and there will be long hrs of light. im planin on going back every week to water. dear all over the place is way im gettin up off the ground. there is enough privace that i can take them down and supper crop the only way to get to my spot is by boat and then canoe to shore . i planted in the ground last year and dear thought it was an all u can eat salad bar. so i think this will work any advise would be helpfull

Lot of work to climb a tree and then super crop ur grow as it grows, and it sounds like a travel to ur spot too..
4 Post and some 4" wire weld frencing and that keep the Dears out and grow on the ground..

trust me climbing a tree with no tree spikes or a ladder is hard unless it has alot of big branches

yup id rather plant them in the ground and just walk to em stead of climbing to em lol but if you want to do it try it just post some pics want to see how it looks like oh and don't got climbing the tree stoned could slip and fall that would be a bad day lol

Latest posts

Back