8 or 6" hoods and duct?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shahomy

Reaction score
room is 8x8, 4 hoods, 1000w hps bulbs, and dimmable ballasts... I have 2 6" hoods now. Should I stick with 6, or go with 8?

also is my math right?
4 bulbs initially 1450000 lumens each=580000 lumens/64sqft=9000 lumens per foot...might have to dial them down to 750 or 600watt(ballasts)

Is each hood going to have its own fan? Don't think dialing down a 1000 watt blub is a good idea....... the spectrum of light will not be correct from what I've read.

Don't think dialing down a 1000 watt blub is a good idea....... the spectrum of light will not be correct from what I've read.

Really? never heard that one.

Is each hood going to have its own fan?

right now I`ve got 8" filter(big one-about 2ft long) metal wye- 8"x6"x6",2 6" fans, 2 hoods with glass, and 1 hood with no glass/venting...
would like to do away with the unenclosed hood, and buy 2 new hoods with glass(4 total)...
so I`m thinking 2 hoods/bulbs per fan

I'd go 8 inch if running 2 hoods with 1 fan

your not going to be over lite with 4 1000's in a 8 x 8 space......... but yes the blub will not put out correct spectrum and will lessen it's life by under powering it is what I think I read here not to long ago.

I have "heard" that, too, but I have never seen anything that was substantiated with fact. I personally have not noticed any problems when I set the ballast to a lower wattage. With that said, I would be, however, for using one less light if I wanted to cut back, rather than kicking down the wattage. I have found that I don't see much growth improvement when I get over 7500 lumens per sq ft.

Latest posts

Back