800 pot plants found in Gilbert home

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
Smells of gas prompted neighbors to alert officials to an Agritopia home Tuesday night where Gilbert police and fire discovered a marijuana growing operation.

Neighbors say Agritopia probably was an ideal place to hide an illegal operation. The community is heralded for sustaining its farming heritage with award-winning cottages and a neighborly feel.

“This neighborhood is full of good Christian people,” Cheri DeBree said. “Where else better to hide evil?”

DeBree said she lives across the street from the house and has never seen the people who live there.

She said authorities had to bust open the door because no one was home when they responded to the call of a gas leak. The leak was believed to be caused by the house settling, according to Gilbert police.

The house, in the 3000 block of East Agritopia Loop near Higley and Ray roads, contained about 800 marijuana plants, according to Gilbert police, who estimated a street value of about $2 million once the plants are fully grown.

No arrests have been made in the case and an investigation is ongoing. Approximately $100,000 in hardware and equipment were also seized from the house.

Chris Gargan said his oldest son smelled the gas and his wife went out Tuesday night to investigate.

Neighbors initially called Southwest Gas, but they couldn't respond quickly enough.

Gargan said there's no way to know for sure why the people picked the upscale community to house the operation. But it wouldn't surprise him if it was because it would be less conspicuous and suspected in an upscale neighborhood like Agritopia.

“When you don't see people, it's almost impossible to know what's going on inside someone else's house,” Gargan said. “Of course we're not happy about it.”

Gargan said he lives next door to the house, which is down the street from Surrey Garden Christian School.

The investigation comes a week after Agritopia residents were shocked by the news that a neighbor was arrested on suspicion of being a key player in a Valley prostitution ring.

DeBree said she believes God's hands were involved in the discovery.

“It saved us from anything further,” DeBree said. “To me, a gas leak outside of a house doesn't typically happen.”

Neighbors don't believe Agritopia's reptutation will be tarnished by the incident. Cottage Living magazine recently named Agritopia a top neighborhood for 2008.

“It's everywhere, unfortunately,” DeBree said. “It's sad it's here. You don't want to hear your kids are so close to that.”

hxxp://tinyurl.com/6safbx

To me, a gas leak outside of a house doesn't typically happen.”

Weird so the owners weren't home and this house just happened to settle and cause a gas leak. At least they told the truth about one thing. These things DON'T typically happen. Nosy neighbor 1 = Farmer 0

and thats why its always better to rent than to own.. you can always walk away from the scene wash your hands of the situation and never look back. with all the equipment and plants found you would think it would have been a lil tougher to break in. most of the indoor opps i hear of busted are from stupid neighbors callling in burglaries this is kind of different but that is why all my neighbors have a prepaid number they can reach me on if they think something might be wrong or they need a cup of sugar. be nice to the neighbors and you wont have this problem.

great advice genyc, always be nice to your neighbors, and do give them your cell #. I told my neighbor once, "i smoke a lot, so if you smell anything, please let me know, I respect you and don't want to bother you."

Thats why I dont have neighbors! my driveway alone is over 1/4 mile from the hard road. No neighbor is a good neighbor in my book

Latest posts

Back