Adjusting soil pH

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alistair

Reaction score
Today I was inspecting my plants. They're all doing well. However, upon closer inspection, I noticed that one plant might be having some slight pH issues. I have no camera, so therefore, no pics. At any rate, it was time to water it with plain water anyway,so I simply gave it a mild flush with a gallon of water, pH 6.1 (Meter wasn't properly calibrated!). I normally don't measure runoff pH, because I'm not good at it. Well, since I had at least half a gallon of runoff (With meter properly calibrated this time.), I decided to strain it through a paper towel as I poured it into an empty jug. I shook it up before pouring into the jug, and afterward as well. I then, proceeded to measure the pH of this runoff. It was at 5.9. Now, I don't know if that is an acceptable way to measure runoff, or not, but I'm assuming the soil is too acidic. Remember, the pH of the plain, RO water going in was 6.1. The runoff was 0.2 lower, at 5.9.

I've read that some people adjust the pH by adding solution at 7.1, for example. They do this believing that since the actual pH of 5.9 is off the target (6.5, let's say) by 0.6, they need to adjust the solution 0.6 more than 6.5, giving 7.1.

For some reason I don't like the above idea. If indeed my soil is too acidic, I prefer to correct the problem by simply watering with the proper pH. However, until now, I have been watering with properly pH'd water. The meter is normally calibrated.

I'm not even sure that my assumption is right, because I'm no good at measuring runoff pH. But if the soil is a bit acidic, then what should be done?

Today is the only time that the meter wasn't properly calibrated. A battery came loose, and I plugged it back in, without thinking about its calibration.

Actually, I not too worried about pouring water of improper pH into the soil, because I believe that it affects the soil pH much less than nuted water. I've always imagined plain water pretty much taking on the pH of the soil, and not the other way around.

Overall, my plants are healthy. Even the one with some curled and length-wise folded leaves (remember, no camera), with possible pH issues looks pretty good. So, regardless of whatever my normal runoff is (I never measure it.), I must be doing something right.

So, how to properly raise soil pH? I normally water my FFOF soil with a solution pH 6.5-6.6.

I almost forgot. Since my meter is normally spot on, and I'm watering it with solution, pH 6.5. Then I imagine that the actual soil pH could be normally around 6.3. I thought FFOF soil was supposed to be buffered?

Alistair Young said:
Today I was inspecting my plants. They're all doing well. However, upon closer inspection, I noticed that one plant might be having some slight pH issues. I have no camera, so therefore, no pics. At any rate, it was time to water it with plain water anyway,so I simply gave it a mild flush with a gallon of water, pH 6.1 (Meter wasn't properly calibrated!). I normally don't measure runoff pH, because I'm not good at it. Well, since I had at least half a gallon of runoff (With meter properly calibrated this time.), I decided to strain it through a paper towel as I poured it into an empty jug. I shook it up before pouring into the jug, and afterward as well. I then, proceeded to measure the pH of this runoff. It was at 5.9. Now, I don't know if that is an acceptable way to measure runoff, or not, but I'm assuming the soil is too acidic. Remember, the pH of the plain, RO water going in was 6.1. The runoff was 0.2 lower, at 5.9.

I've read that some people adjust the pH by adding solution at 7.1, for example. They do this believing that since the actual pH of 5.9 is off the target (6.5, let's say) by 0.6, they need to adjust the solution 0.6 more than 6.5, giving 7.1.

For some reason I don't like the above idea. If indeed my soil is too acidic, I prefer to correct the problem by simply watering with the proper pH. However, until now, I have been watering with properly pH'd water. The meter is normally calibrated.

I'm not even sure that my assumption is right, because I'm no good at measuring runoff pH. But if the soil is a bit acidic, then what should be done?

Today is the only time that the meter wasn't properly calibrated. A battery came loose, and I plugged it back in, without thinking about its calibration.

Actually, I not too worried about pouring water of improper pH into the soil, because I believe that it affects the soil pH much less than nuted water. I've always imagined plain water pretty much taking on the pH of the soil, and not the other way around.

Overall, my plants are healthy. Even the one with some curled and length-wise folded leaves (remember, no camera), with possible pH issues looks pretty good. So, regardless of whatever my normal runoff is (I never measure it.), I must be doing something right.

So, how to properly raise soil pH? I normally water my FFOF soil with a solution pH 6.5-6.6.

I almost forgot. Since my meter is normally spot on, and I'm watering it with solution, pH 6.5. Then I imagine that the actual soil pH could be normally around 6.3. I thought FFOF soil was supposed to be buffered?

Hey, i don't overph the water to compensate for soil ph issues either. I just continue to use the correct ph after the problem is found, and the soil seems to correct itself anyway. I do know lots of people that compound the water to correct the soil immediately but they have also farther injured the plants in doing so a time or two... i don't think it's a good idea to overcompensate like that, i'd just keep to the right ph like you think it should be done.

Brandon, :watchplant: Good Lord man, it takes you 159 words for everyone else's 3.14, and you still make less sense.

Alistair Young said:

Add dolomite lime. Dolomite breaks down over time to neutralize soil PH.

Okay, this new setup won't allow me to thank more than two of you at a time for your help. So, thanks to all. I like the advice.

Aplaisia, I'll try that method above. I'll add the 2 parts neutral, distilled water per 1 part soil, and see what happens. From what I guessed, and from what you've said, I very well might not have gotten an accurate pH reading for the runoff. So, as I said, before even measuring soil pH, I guessed that a minor flush was in order because some of the leaves looked "funny", as I described above. I inadvertently gave the plant 1 gallon of RO, pH 6.1, instead of 6.6. Hopefully, being only water with no nutes, the low pH won't hurt much. It is just RO water, after all.

Skunk, yeah, I think I'll just continue to water with 6.5-6.6 solution.

Growdude, yep, that's what I do, fortunately. Thanks for reminding me of why we do it. I know that dolomite lime provides magnesium, but I keep forgetting that it acts to buffer, as well.

Maybe what I saw wasn't a pH problem after all. Most of the leaves are really healthy, some are clawed and folded length-wise and downward (kinda twisted, mostly new growth), while others others are clawed, as in too much N. At any rate, a moderate flush can't hurt. Sorry, no camera.

Well, since I use good soil, water (normally of proper pH), and dolomite lime, hopefully it will continue to do well.

Thanks.

aplaisia said:
Wow... I was trying to post and clean up my data to make a little more sense of it.

I think if you leech the soil you should be fine.

It should release a lot of the cations (salts).

This will help adjust the pH.

If you can't get your pH stable you should consider the soil.

Depending on the temperature you maintain it at will depend on the microbial community.

The microbial community will also affect the pH.

Worse comes to worse... Hit it with Lime...
lol

Anyways... Good luck for now..

I'll try to clean up my above posts later....
When the server isn't so busy.

B

Hey, What temps do you like for soil, in veg and in flower for greatest microbial count? Some of my grow is in my basement, and it's cool in the summer which is great, but can be bloody cold in the winter. I only really notice slower growth, but maybe it has more to do with the mocrobial activity than root temps...?

I smoked so much i missed the actual info...
but you smoked so much that you missed my math pun...

Hey guys whats up. I could not help taking a look to see what you came up with on adjusting PH.
I too have been battling low PH with a few of my Droopy White Widow plants. My run off was as low as 4.8 I bought some PH UP by Aurora, it's basically just Potassium Hydroxide which I read someplace was much more stable than lime for raising PH.
It's was like $8 for a quart. On the instructions it says to add 1/4 tablespoon to one gallon for ever point that you want to raise your soil. That is exactly what it does fast easy. My plants should be spot on within two waterings with this stuff. They looked so much better within 12 hours of my first dose. I like it because it did exactly what it said it would do, it raised my PH by one point in each pot that I used it in.
I will be updating the results of my PH at each watering you can check it out in my grow forum Droopy White Widow.
I will check back to see how your plants are doing, do the same.
Hope theis helps......good luck.....let us know what happens.
I should let you know that I'm new to this and I really don't know jack #### yet except for the results so far.
Anyway I'm just really stoned and need to get some rest .....na......one more bong.....Awe that's better....
Peace Mike

Growdude said:
Add dolomite lime. Dolomite breaks down over time to neutralize soil PH.
:yeahthat:

Shortest and best answer.:hubba:

DD

Latest posts

Back