Afternoon Analemma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splatoid

Reaction score
Image Credit & Copyright: Ian Griffin (Otago Museum)
Explanation: An analemma is that figure-8 curve you get when you mark the position of the Sun at the same time each day for one year. To make this one, a 4x5 pinhole camera was set up looking north in southern New Zealand skies. The shutter was briefly opened each clear day in the afternoon at 4pm local time exposing the same photosensitized glass plate for the year spanning September 23, 2022 to September 19, 2023. On two days, the winter and summer solstices, the shutter was opened again 15 minutes after the main exposure and remained open until sunset to create the sun trails at the bottom and top of the curve. The equinox dates correspond to positions in the middle of the curve, not the crossover point. Of course, the curve itself is inverted compared to an analemma traced from the northern hemisphere. And while fall begins today at the Autumnal Equinox for the northern hemisphere, it's the Spring Equinox in the south.
Very interesting stuff. From Astronomy Picture of the Day Archive 2015

Attachments

• 4pm-analemma-nz_1024.jpg
    4pm-analemma-nz_1024.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 0
that is far out

we want to buy a telescope to look at space

one that has a usb to an I-pad

one that takes photos

user friendly with apps for amateurs

we have looked at some in the $750 - $1000 range

but now wea are seeing some good deals under $500

any suggestions?

I haven't looked into anything yet but this site that I was interduce to on the discord site I'm a member of has a different post almost every day. And has really piqued my interest again. I was really into this as a young boy. My mom used to buy me book sets to come in the mail. I used to love them. You had to put the stickers in the books and read about stuff. I had several months of Space, Dinosaurs, Spiders, Minerals and rock types. I have bought these kind of books for the neighbor kids and they love them.

Latest posts

Back