ALCOHOL NEARLY AS HARMFUL AS HEROIN--Must read!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

123lsd

I took this out of THE VANCOUVER SUN, SATURDAY, MARCH 24, 2007 A11

Alcohol nearly as harmful as heroin, scientists say

A new table ranking drugs according to harm done shows tobacco as
more dangerous than cannabis, LSD or ecstasy

LONDON- Alcohol is nearly as harmful as heroin and tobacco is more dangerous than cannabis, LSD or ecstasy, according to a new classification table of drugs published in The Lancet medical journal Friday.
The table, drawn up by a group of leading British scientists, ranked heroin, cocaine, barbituates and street methadone as the most harmful drugs, closely followed by alcohol in fifth place.
Tobacco was assessed to be the ninth most dangerous drug behind ketamine - commonly used as a horse tranquilizer - benzodiazepines, which are prescription tranquilizers, and amphetamines.
Cannabis was said to be the 11th most harmful. LSD was ranked 14th and ecstasy rated 18th, in third last place.
The classifications were based on individual drugs' so-called "harm scores" - the physical damage to the user; how likely the drug was to induce dependency; and the effect on families, communities and societ.
Each of the three categories was split into nine categories of risk and independent experts including psychiatrists, druggists and forensic scientists ranked each category on a scale from 0 ('no risk") to 3 ("extreme risk").
Heroin scored 2.7 on the harm scale with alcohol just under 2. Tobacco scored 1.7 and ecstasy scored just over 1.1.
One of the scientists, Professor Colin Blakemore, chief executive of the government-funded public health body the Medical Research Council, said findings differed maredly from the existing drugs classification in Britain.
"Alcohol and tobacco are way up there in the league table, with alcohol being not very far behind demonized terrors of the street like heroin," he said.
His colleague, Professor David Nutt, from the UNiversity of Bristol, western England, said isolated cases of unpleasant unpredictable responses to drugs were allowed to dictate policy.
"A more scientific view is that these risks have to be assessed against their effect on the whole population," he added.
Possessing Class A drugs like heroin, cocaine and crack, ecstasy and LSD currently carries a maximum seven-year prison sentence; cannabis is a Class C drug, while alcohol and tobacco are unclassified.
Blakemore said he hoped policy makers would "take note" that their table differed substantially from the official classification, which a separate British study published on March 8 also criticized as inadequate.
The RSA Commission on Illegal Drugs, Communities and Pulbic Policy said Britain;s drug laws should be replaced by a system recongnizing the harm to health of substances like alchool and tobacco rather than crime prevention.

me and doc green been talkin about this for a while now, were pretty suprised things like alcohol are completely legal when it does at least 300 times more harm than cannabis in many ways. thanks for the read 123.. very intersting :)

Ok, so if I read that right, it said that LSD was less harmful then MJ???

Isn't LSD just a bunch of chemicals?

I did plenty of acid when I was a teen or in my early 20s but there's no way I'd ever touch that again. I would feel like crud for days after a trip...

But yes, I definately agree that alcohol and tobacco is worse then MJ. :)

lsd is rat poison. in a smaller dose.

1 in 3 ppl in there lifetime will be in a accident with a drunk driver and 1 in 8 will die in drunk accident. but yet it is legal

In our country all the bars close at the very same time, all the clubs kick out at 2am as well. While all these drunks are being shaperooned into taxis, they are gathering as well and thats when fights start. Number 1 reason not to go out on a saturday night; being started on by some drunk becuase he thinks you were eye balling him. Pfft. drunks

I know this is very un-PC, but I honestly think that drunk-driving statistics are extremely overblown in the name of $. Any time there is a hint of alcohol where an accident occurs, alcohol is assumed to be the cause. In no way am I advocating drunken driving, but I think there has been a long propaganda campaign to eradicate common sense (sounds familiar) to the point where soon, driving after 1 beer will be considered 'drunk' driving.
I think it exploits the victims and families of those who have been effected by horrible drunk driving incidents, to use the horror of that to justify going after the problem in an exaggerated way. DWI rakes in a lot of cash.
Anyway, the way the study mentioned is weighted is in terms of relative societal 'problems', so it is perhaps a better way of looking at things. How a life of alcoholism really is as deadly or more so than heroin. But LSD...well I don't think they want us talking about such things on this forum. It is beyond the scope here, and indeed it seems, beyond the scope of some who would call such a sacrament 'poison'.

Interesting article but as I always say, "too much of anything is bad for you". The funny thing is that there are so many other more harmful "drugs" readily available to small children that can be legally purchased anywhere.

But I belive they counted in how you really did the drug. Cause when you really look at it... how many people do you see that do lsd or xtc (the less harmful drugs acording to them), keep on doing it at an older age. For example, you would do alot of e or acid at a younger age (14-25). However, you would most definatly stop doing them after that age gap due to various conclusions you have made. But drinking, and smokin cigs, and smokin weeed... thats gonna stick with you, and with that many dumb people out there. Its going to cause you more problems than joe dane ecstasy man tippin out on your front lawn.

Latest posts

Back