America's First "Cannabis Cafe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

nvthis

PORTLAND, Oregon (Reuters) – The United States' first marijuana cafe opened on Friday, posing an early test of the Obama administration's move to relax policing of medical use of the drug.
The Cannabis Cafe in Portland, Oregon, is the first to give certified medical marijuana users a place to get hold of the drug and smoke it -- as long as they are out of public view -- despite a federal ban.
"This club represents personal freedom, finally, for our members," said Madeline Martinez, Oregon's executive director of NORML, a group pushing for marijuana legalization.
"Our plans go beyond serving food and marijuana," said Martinez. "We hope to have classes, seminars, even a Cannabis Community College, based here to help people learn about growing and other uses for cannabis."
The cafe -- in a two-story building which formerly housed a speak-easy and adult erotic club Rumpspankers -- is technically a private club, but is open to any Oregon residents who are NORML members and hold an official medical marijuana card.
Members pay $25 per month to use the 100-person capacity cafe. They don't buy marijuana, but get it free over the counter from "budtenders". Open 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., it serves food but has no liquor license.
There are about 21,000 patients registered to use marijuana for medical purposes in Oregon. Doctors have prescribed marijuana for a host of illnesses, including Alzheimer's, diabetes, multiple sclerosis and Tourette's syndrome.
On opening day, reporters invited to the cafe could smell, but were not allowed to see, people smoking marijuana.
"I still run a coffee shop and events venue, just like I did before we converted it to the Cannabis Cafe, but now it will be cannabis-themed," said Eric Solomon, the owner of the cafe, who is looking forward to holding marijuana-themed weddings, film festivals and dances in the second-floor ballroom.
NO PROSECUTION
The creation of the cafe comes almost a month after the Obama administration told federal attorneys not to prosecute patients who use marijuana for medical reasons or dispensaries in states which have legalized them.
About a dozen states, including Oregon, followed California's 1996 move to adopt medical marijuana laws, allowing the drug to be cultivated and sold for medical use. A similar number have pending legislation or ballot measures planned.
Pot cafes, known as "coffee shops", are popular in the Dutch city of Amsterdam, where possession of small amounts of marijuana is legal. Portland's Cannabis Cafe is the first of its kind to open in the United States, according to NORML.
Growing, possessing, distributing and smoking marijuana are still illegal under U.S. federal law, which makes no distinction between medical and recreational use.
Federal and local law enforcement agencies did not return phone calls from Reuters on Friday seeking comment on the Portland cafe's operations.
"To have a place that is this open about its activities, where people can come together and smoke -- I say that's pretty amazing." said Tim Pate, a longtime NORML member, at the cafe.
Some locals are hoping it might even be good for business.
"I know some neighbors are pretty negative about this place opening up," said David Bell, who works at a boutique that shares space with the cafe. "But I'm withholding judgment. There's no precedent for it. We don't know what to expect. But it would great if it brought some customers into our store."

hxxp://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_oregon_potcafe

People only pay for food and the monthly fee. I can't think of a better way to operate a business, and become quite wealthy in the meantime.

rumpspankers.lol...lol...:p ...

i'd love to work in a fine establishment such as this...

Come on Oregon!!! Now lets start a whole lot more of these "pot cafes" in more cities and small towns. I'm talkin'to our Dispensary owner on Monday. He already has the cafe, just needs to open up to free smoking area.
I'll tell you all folks, MJ freedoms are really movin' fast, and if you even think that you could do some little thing to help, please take the time to do it, whatever "it" is your helping. If no one is doing nothing...Step up and take the inishative to get your town started up. People will come out of the wood-work to help. That's what we need. Get it on!!! Peace out

wow that monthly fee was cheap...I am in shock...do people get unlimited smoke or small ammounts or what? hmmmmm

I want to open one...I can cook grow weed and be charming...

Pretty sweet deal they got going on, but the title of this thread is not correct, as there are already non-medical pot clubs with smoking lounges and food service in CA, apparently Oregon NORML doesnt talk with CA NORML

Hi,

I've heard that in Breckenridge, CO there are places that allow people to hang out and get baked... Now THAT's progress, my friends... check this out from about a week ago!

DENVER — The Colorado ski town of Breckenridge has voted overwhelmingly to legalize marijuana.Early returns Tuesday night showed the proposal winning with 72 percent of the vote. The measure would allow adults over 21 to have up to 1 ounce of marijuana. The measure is largely symbolic because pot possession remains a state crime for people without medical clearance. But supporters said they wanted to send a message to local law enforcement to stop busting small-time pot smokers.

The vote comes as communities nationwide are struggling with how to enforce pot laws at a time when medical marijuana has surged in popularity.

At first glance it could be any other coffee shop in America. Chocolate croissants are stacked behind the counter and patrons lounge on sofas. There are, however, a few crucial differences.

A shelf is lined with large glass jars, containing what appear to be plant samples. The customers do not have coffee pots in front of them, but “vapourisers” with digital readouts indicating when the plant samples have been heated to precisely 375F, at which point a thin mist rises from them into large transparent plastic bags. The patrons “sip” on the bags using the kind of valves that you might see on a diver’s oxygen tank.

Above their heads hangs a sign that explains everything: “Cannabis Café”. Opened only a few days ago, this establishment, in Portland, Oregon, is America’s first and only legal marijuana coffee shop.

How long it survives is entirely up to the Obama Administration, which, for the time being, has instructed its Attorney-General, Eric Holder, to leave the policing of marijuana to individual states.

“Prohibition didn’t work the first time around,” said Madeline Martinez, 58, a former prison warden, who runs the café. “It just created a culture of gangsters and murderers. And now it’s happening again. I say we take marijuana away from the Mexican mob.”

She added that she would like to see the state of Oregon itself become the primary supplier. “They could grow it in state prisons,” she said, without cracking a smile. “The best growers are already in there.”

For the time being, however, visiting the Cannabis Café is not quite as easy as going to Starbucks.

First, you must be enrolled in Oregon’s Medical Marijuana Programme — available only to residents of the state. Joining requires a $100 (£60) fee and a doctor’s certificate confirming that you suffer from cancer, glaucoma, Aids, Alzheimer’s, or any condition that results in severe pain, appetite loss, spasms, seizures, or nausea.

Only after being issued with a patient ID card are you allowed to join the Oregon chapter of the National Organisation for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML), which costs $240 a year. Patrons must show their patient ID and NORML membership cards before being let through the doors of the Cannabis Café.

As for the price of a hit — it’s free. Unlike the so-called dispensaries in California that have been accused of profiteering, the marijuana served at the Cannabis Café is donated by state-approved growers, who painstakingly document which strains are most effective at treating specific symptoms.

Inevitably, some neighbours are concerned. Although Ms Martinez claims that over-medicated patrons are not allowed to drive home, there do not appear to be any strictlyenforced rules, and urine-based drug tests — unlike Breathalyser tests — are notoriously unreliable.

As for whether the Cannabis Café’s patrons are genuinely in need of medical help, Greg Woods, a 35-year-old patron who has suffered chronic pain since a 2003 car accident, appears to provide the answer.

“I’m able to cut down on the number of narcotics I take because of this,” he said. While a Vicodin pill knocks him out, “smoking a bowl” keeps him functioning.

And what about the coffee? Is it any good? He looked blank. Then he smiled. “Haven’t tried it,” he said.

Source: hxxp://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6924152.ece

They give away the reefer and sell the coffee and munchies? You got to sell something to pay the rent.....

Good artical Ozzy.

Yeah and the Munchies are cookies and brownies...The kind we like:D who will wanna leave??

Thanks ozzy..:48:

The one down Oragon use to be a club called.." Rump spankers " :rofl:

Not that makes any diffrance

ozzydiodude said:
She added that she would like to see the state of Oregon itself become the primary supplier. “They could grow it in state prisons,” she said, without cracking a smile. “The best growers are already in there.”
:confused:

If they were such good growers they would not have been caught! Stealth is part of the grow! Good article Oz!

legalize_freedom said:
:confused:

If they were such good growers they would not have been caught! Stealth is part of the grow! Good article Oz!

I don't agree with that... All being in prison means is that any number of things could have led to the grower getting popped and senslessly persecuted for cultivating this amazing plant... Just because you get caught doean't make you a bad grower or have any reflections on your skills the plant... My boyhood best friend did a stint in a Fed prison when there was a completely unrelated fire at his home which led to the discovery of his grow room by the fire dept and the po po... Stuff happens...
icon9.gif

He said he was amazed at all the good ol boy pot growers he met in prison who were popped and charged by the Feds for cultivation of indoor grows, very large outdoor grows and even some who were caught with dozens of small clones or seedlings and they were from all over the U.S. Normal dudes like all of us. Hopefully legalization or at the very least decriminalization will stop the madness once and for all...

Rock ON, Oregon!:cool:

yeah you got a point there Dirty, I just didn't agree with the statement that all the best were in prison, but I'm sure she meant that in a sarcastic way anyway. Yes Hopefully our fearless leaders will eventually get there heads out of each others hind quarters, and admit that they have been wrong about their war on drugs....It is a miserable failure, and a total waste of OUR tax dollars! BTW I did a 2 yr tour for the state of Ohio, from a snitch, so I know how that ball rolls! I learned a valuble lesson in who to trust, NOBODY. I was young and dumb.

Yes! Oregon and California I imagine with be the first ones to propose any sort of 'legalization' laws. Oregon's MMJ laws seem extremely different then California's and I've noticed some county's in NorCal are actually adapting to Oregon's laws.

One question I have, is why can't a MMJ card holder in OREGON, purchase meds through a CALI dispensary? State laws don't recognize other state laws, or something?

Latest posts

Back