Another topping question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homemadegravity

Reaction score
So I topped like 3 or 4 days ago. I think I got it this time. My question is this how long after you top can you put the plant into flowering?

I am not 100% but I would wait till new growth just gets going and then switchem. I dont think it will make that much of a difference

Homemade - that's a good one.

Really think it's wide open. You could do it now, or wait 1 or 2 weeks. The hormones of the plant will respond to the topping, and heal itself, sending side shoots for growth, and also begin flowering phase right after your switching to 12/12.

If you are going for low stress, give it 1 or 2 weeks to "heal" before you switch lighting. IMHO........

The plant height is going to determine when you switch as it will gain 2 to 3 times ht during flower.........

PB:)

I have all the room in the world to go up, Im not to worried about height I guess. I am worried about stressin the plant more than I already have. They are about 8-10in now. So I think I will wait for a couple more days to give the plant some room to grow a lil bit more.
Pot Belly, you said "and also begin flowering phase right after your switching to 12/12". Isnt going into 12/12 flowering? I always thought when your plants are mature enough then you switch to 12/12 your flowering. So plant height is how you determine when you flower? Not that I disagree with you but do you think its a combination of things that should determine when you flower? Because usually I wait till the plant is 18-24in at or around the 30-45 day mark, but Im almost at 30days veg now and if I wait till they are 18-24in Ill be vegging another month or so. But on these new plants Ive seen alot more lateral growth then vertical growth, and I think I could flower any time now, I think. Sorry to have gotten off subject here, just curious in finding out more about when to flower.

Homemade - we are on the same page.........

I was speaking of hormones the plant has. Healing hormones and flowering hormones. They are separate.

When the plant is pruned, it sends healing hormones throughout the plant that mends the cut, and sends energy to grow new tips at nodes. You are essentially training the plant to be low and bushy. We all want that as inside growers.

When the lights are switched to 12/12, the hormones in the plant sense it is the end of the season, and it's time to flower. So from the time you switch your lights, and the actual real pistils (not pre-flower) develop - there is a 10 to 20 day delay as the plant is gearing up for flower production.

As far as when to flower............ Your plant is mature for it at 4 to 6 weeks, depending on strain. You can flower anytime you want when your plant is mature, whether you've topped or not.........

If minimal stress is your concern, then when you prune and stress your mature plant, wait until new growth below cutting is lush, dark green, and profuse. It has then recovered from the topping, and has energy ready to put towards flowering.

As a whole, the plant is relatively forgiving as far as recovery.

Awesome thank you so much for explaining that. I didnt know plant had healing hormones and flowering hormones. When will I know the healing process is finished? Id like to put these babies into flower soon, Id like to have some smokeable buds by xmas. So after topping give it like a week or 2 to heal up? Theres a good amount of growth that has started already on the topped plant, I can post a pic or 2 if youd like.

Pics are great!;)

I personally would wait to put a plant in flower until growth below the cut is heavy and green....... I would expect to see that within 10 to 14 days of topping.

The plant only has so much energy to divide between healing and flowering.

Any "damage" to the plant done in the flower stage sets flowering back, and throws off your schedule. I learned and am still learning this in my first grow journal. I still have those two in flower now, and they are finally starting to "mend".

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14989

Heres a couple pics of the topped plant. The 1st pic I took right after topping. The 2nd and 3rd pics I just today. Thanx for the link I will check it out. So I am going to wait a couple more days to see how this plant comes along.

1stdaytopped.jpg

000_1562.jpg

000_1563.jpg

Nice and healthy. Good pic. A few more days and switcheroo!

What strain?

Thanx PB. All of them are very green and very healthy looking. Im really proud of this grow. The strain is just a local strain from a buddy of mine who use to grow. Thanks for all your help I appreciate it. Will update in a couple days on the topped plant.

Latest posts

Back