Anyone add anything to Ocean Forest soil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amateur Grower

Blending in...
Reaction score
Those of you that use Fox Farms Ocean Forest, do you ever add anything to it, like perlite, or guano or anything?

AG

lime, epsom salt, azomite, worm castings, bat guano, green sand, sulfate of potash, coco coir, compost and bokashi

FFOF already has worm castings and bat guano, why are you suggesting that he add more to it? Did you even take the time to read the label on the bag prior to making those recommendations... doesn't seem like it...just saying.

AG,

FFOF comes a bit hot so you wont have to add much to that soil for early vegging. At about week 3 you can introduce nitrogen...per my recommendation. Will you be using FF nute line up? Don't forget to ph your water to 6.5 - 6.8.

I add dolomite lime and plenty o' perlite...If I know I am going to be gone alot during a cycle, I'l throw in some vermiculite to help retain water...but not often, mostly I stay home for grows...

accid said:
FFOF comes a bit hot so you wont have to add much to that soil for early vegging. At about week 3 you can introduce nitrogen...per my recommendation. Will you be using FF nute line up? Don't forget to ph your water to 6.5 - 6.8.

I am going to use Earth Juice grow and Earth Juice Bloom.

AG

umbra said:
lime, epsom salt, azomite, worm castings, bat guano, green sand, sulfate of potash, coco coir, compost and bokashi

Trying to read between the lines, are you saying you wouldn't use FFOF umbra?

AG

umbra said:
:yeahthat: :goodposting:

Or, at least as many of these things you can source.:icon_smile:

Just because it has something on the label doesn't mean there is an adequate amount, only that there is enough to put it on the label.

Wet

i dont understand why people add perlite to the FFOF, the bags i bought were loaded with the stuff already. probably 10x as much as any other soil ive boughten. if ound the amount of perlite in it is perfect, to almost too much.

i agree Puffin and Umbra, wetdog.

I run it straight till I flip, then start adding nutes. I veg longer then most and the nutes in the soil are gone by week 6. I have used it forever but now I am growing my own soil.:) Green mojo to you!

Amateur Grower said:
Trying to read between the lines, are you saying you wouldn't use FFOF umbra?

AG

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Pretty much with those amendments and a couple more basic ones like blood meal, or alfalfa/soy meal, bone meal and kelp meal, all you would need is a bale of peat moss ($12) and a 4cf bag of perlite (~$18), to make a mix that is vastly superior to FFOF at a fraction of the cost.

Wet

at this point I do mix my own soil, but I never found that FFOF had enough trace elements. Not sure what your definition of hot soil is, mine is too low ph and that is what I have found with FFOF (#1 reason I add lime). Listen, I have been at this more than 35 years. I just might know something about this.

...And I am rounding up the last of my needed ingredients to make my own NV's super soil. Should have the last of what I need by Thursday (getting the worm castings and greensand then). It is still too cold outside, so I have a 30 gal compost barrel in a spare bedroom....

I appreciate everyone taking the time to chime in and I've been here long enough to know that a grower is only REALLY satisfied if he or she is able to dial in each facet of each grow to their EXACT specs! :p

I should have explained that I don't have the space nor the inclination at the moment to make my own soil mix. I understand it's probably better if you do, but my one attempt at making my own soil didn't turn out well.

What I really want to know is-if you've used FFOF in the past, and did you alter it in any way? I've used FFOF in some capacity in every grow I've done-all 6 of them! :giggle: I've done everything from make my own soil (1st grow-not good) to using part new FFOF, some used FFOF, with bat guano, worm castings and perlite added. So far, no grow of mine has turned out "perfect" -there has always been something not 100%.

I have some Mexican bat guano, worm castings, kelp and other stuff here I can add, I just wondered if anyone used FFOF straight out of the bag.

Again, I do appreciate everyone's help. My biggest frustration as a grower is there is SO much information to be had, and a LOT of it is conflicting. I always appreciate veteran growers sharing their experience and that's why I always turn to THIS board!!! :argue: also because the disagreements tend to be more civil!

I use ZERO "grow" or "veg" nutrients during the first four weeks in fresh FFOF. And in my opinion there isn't enough perlite in ALOT of commercial soils. I like mine to feel very spongy...

I'm on my first grow, and very early on, but I planted in FFOF with about 30% perlite mixed well, and dolomite lime as well.

-nasty

Amateur Grower said:
Thanks RB-so you don't use ANY nutes except what the soil contains for 6 weeks?

AG

No, I start using nutes right before I flip to 12/12. The nutes in FFOF will only last 5-6 weeks. I hope that helps.

I was told not to nute until flipping in FFOF.
Other then that, I just use it right out of the bag,
I did top some off with MG 6mnth release jus for the boost of nutes.
Everything I've put into the soil has LOVED it without additives.

You can grow a plant with straight FFOF and no additives. That is not the question. The question was, do you add anything. If you were to compare 2 clones, 1 grown in straight FFOF and 1 with enhanced FFOF, you would see a massive difference in the final product. So what you do with that knowledge is up to you.

Latest posts

Back