Anyone Remember The '70s??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Roddy

Sitting here this AM, joint in mouth and smoke in eyes, I am rocking out to some old Airplane and remembering back to the days of innocence (or was that incense) and happiness (I was but a child back then, lol). Things come back to me like Skylab and tie-dye, bell bottoms and afros! :eek: I remember the joys of living before cell phones, before cable or sat tv, before microwaves and VCR's (you do remember those, right?)! I remember laughing when they said people would pay to watch TV, to drink water....not so funny now?

I remember **** (Richard, maybe lol) Clark, Soul Train, Gilligan and the skipper (oh my, and Ginger too), I remember Max and 99, Benny Hill, Lucy, Carol, Tim and Harvey. Little House was a regular back then....

What do you remember?

I remember as a first grader walking from school to the hospital to meet my father where he was a P.A.When i passed a telephone pole i looked down and there was an o.z of pot sitting there on the ground in a baggie.I picked it up and stuffed it into my little coat pocket.When i got to the hospital waiting room and showed him he said keep it in your pocket until i get off.I expected him to call the law or something by the way everyone had been talking in school.Mom told me later that he smoked that weed.She also told me that he also smoked it for some relief before he passed away when i was 9 from pompays disease.This was the first time i was introduced to the idea of it being benificial dispite what i was told at school.

lol....a score there for sure. A great lesson learned as well, sorry it was learned at such a cost.

The 70's were great fun. Custom Vans with beds in the back, Mood rings, Farrah Fawcet, Bell bottom cuarderoy pants, music you could listen to, Evil Kenevil, Stretch Armstrong,.......Ah, memories.....
I wonder though, were the 70's just fun because someone else (parents) had to do all the worrying?

The seventies to me brings memories of concerts at Winterland in SF, old bands like the Jefferson Airplane like you mention above, Johnny Winter and BB King, Original Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeplin, so many others, rock was made to roll back then.

You could fill your car for 4 dollars and buy a pack of cigs for the same price as a gallon of gas ($.34). Now I don't smoke cigs anymore and a gallon costs close to 4 bucks a gallon. Cigs on the other hand, five? six?

The first crazy horror movies came out in the seventies too, Hills have Eyes, Exorcist, Texas Chain Saw Massacre. I remember toking up before the Exorcist (Behind the Green Door was playing in the theater next door, this was a first, a multiplex theater), almost not buying the ticket because the price went up to $3 to see the movie, they were warning people with heart conditions not to go it was so scary! Anyhow, during the flick (what they called the movies back then, lol) someone behind us was the ONLY person in the theater that was eating popcorn and started coughing like mad right when the pea soup puking started. Needless to say, us stoners started laughing, that old uncontrollable laughing that pot used to just make you do. Never forget that pea soup scene and the laughter.

Ah the seventies, what fun, so glad they are over. Who could want to wear polyester?

The 70's were my childhood seems the most things I remember was work(still think work should be a EDITED word:p) either in the hay fields or hoeing the garden, carrying corn back in the woods and digging Grandpa's secret gardens in the woods that grandma wasn't suppose to know about(I got my ice cream cone every Sunday to not tell her too:D '76 Rush's 2112 came out I was 9yrs old and had the only tractor with a 8-track player on it we knew of. 2 big old house speaker tied on both sides of the seat of the Ford commander tractor. Riding thru the fields mowing the hey and rocking hard

I remember the "Orange Sunshine," swimming naked, free love -- oh yeah, and the music :)

70's :ccc: tv dinners---turtle neck shirts with those bell bottoms---a brown leather belt with green pot leaves stamped all round it---baseball cards clothes pinned to the forks on my bike to sound like an engine flapping in the wheel spokes---honda z50 mini bike---grabbing car bumpers at stop signs for a lift to my next destination---hitch hiking or thumbing as some might call it---my neighbor elaine :hubba: ---

souuuuuuuuuuuulllll train

I remember The Six Million Dollar Man, Stretch Armstrong , color forms, lite brite, Evil Kniviel, Dukes of Hazzard, Magilla Gorilla, Captain Cave Man and being able to leave your doors unlocked.

who could forget "grizzly adams", was my favorite. sherl ladd, she still does it for me! i had the farrah poster and never new bout nipples bein seen till i was in my 30's and saw it on tv.all the fishing trips with my pop started round midnight,so he could plant all those "tomatoes" he ran over in the farmers field...was good times, care free, didn't worry bout lockin the door...shoot, imma grab the bong n reminisce for a spell...peace

mash, window pane:eek: 7 and 8 dollar concert tickets. those were the days what i can remember

^^Hahaha, really?!?! I imagined you older dude. I wasn't either BTW. Just turned 31 last weekend ;)

ston-loc said:
^^Hahaha, really?!?! I imagined you older dude. I wasn't either BTW. Just turned 31 last weekend ;)

Yep. Barely older than you.

Red Ryder BB guns, Schwinn Stingray bikes, JC Penney's catalog, disco rollerskating, drive in movies. People actually knowing each other as they meet on the street, people actually being respectful of others around them, people waving at each other (even if a stranger). Kids that behaved...or else! Hanging out at the arcade, video games (the real ones), bowling, the first Atari games, the first computer, payphones, super 8 video cameras, typewriters.

TV with only 4 channels, Saturday cartoons, Walt Disney Show, Wild Kingdom, the first Superbowl, Happy Days, The Hobbit (the original), Carl Kolchak (The Night Stalker), Fat Albert.

Hunting, fishing and camping with my dad and mom, we went to Yellowstone National Park 7 times, to Disney World a few years after it opened (one of the "rides" was canoeing through the swamps lol). Living the "simpler" life of the days before technology and all the distractions that has made today what it is. It was a day before big govt (I suppose), before frivolous lawsuits and before the need for warnings on everything you buy. I also remember the first milk carton with missing children.

Stretch armstrong and real GI Joe with the real hair and beard of and yup playing with them in the real bush cause it be jungle warfare and yual needed be in real jungle. Wool pants in summer reflections furgot but now remembered

BWD

field house unh jeff beck , david bowie , jethro tul , j giels band , joe walsh , all concerts 5 dollars our 63 ford pickup driving be hind the hay equiptment listing to pink floyd an allman brothers lunch time getting baked down at the farm pond burger king ( weres the beef) my first handgun 85 dollars a smith still have it lots of good times to remember

I graduated from High school in 1970--it was the start of my adult life.

I spent a lot of time at Yellowstone Park and Jackson, Wy--they were only a little over an hour away. Went hot-potting (skinny-dipping in the hot pools) many times at Yellowstone. My best friend and I got kicked out of the Million Dollar Bar in Jackson. I got married, I had kids, I got divorced, I moved.

An ounce was called a lid and we could get a brick of mexican (a kilo) for around $200. I was introduced to Thai-stick and wonderful strains with names like Acapulco Gold and Panama Red.

The Vietnam War ended. The voting age was lowered to 18. We had big, fast cars. The gas/oil crisis caused many of us to give up those muscle cars. The Watergate scandal resulted in Nixon resigning and for the first time in our history, we had a president we did not elect. Great music and great concerts--cheap.

I spent my late teens and most of my 20s in the 70s. It was a great time for me.

Remembering the 70's is like trying to remember a dream -- revolution was in the air. We were busy tuning in, turning on, and dropping out. Weed all the time, acid every three or four days, and any other drug in between -- it was like living at disneyland. Concerts with hundreds of thousands of stoned "Hippies." Like a dream, there is a lot of that period that just returns as flashes and bits and pieces, but it was sooo much fun. A period in history where great social change took place. I feel lucky to have experienced those years. :)

Latest posts

Back