Basic Grow Room Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auburn1985

Reaction score
OK, here's a basic grow room question that applies to a new veg-only closet I'm setting up.

In a 2.5 x 2.5 veg closet, with 4 plants, I can use a 2-foot 8-lamp T5 light and get good results.

OK, now suppose I expand that closet to 4 x 4, but leave everything else like it was in the 2.5 x 2.5 closet. The plants are still in a close-proximity square configuration with the light fixture directly above them. And suppose the walls of the closet are painted flat white. Will I get similar results?

In other words, should I choose my light (and lumen output) based upon the closet size, or upon the size of the space that the plants occupy within the closet?

Thanks.

I would go with the area of the closet because the plants may grow bigger than you think, ...better too much than not enough.:hubba:

it depends on the lum output and light spread, the tighter space may be better as light will be reflected back at the plants earlier then in the larger space, basically the energy dissappates over distance traveled, in the larger space youd have weaker light enery bouncing back at the plants, keep as much of the light contained closer rather then further, more efficient light reaching plants rather then being lost into the dead space of the room.

Auburn1985 said:
OK, here's a basic grow room question that applies to a new veg-only closet I'm setting up.

In a 2.5 x 2.5 veg closet, with 4 plants, I can use a 2-foot 8-lamp T5 light and get good results.

OK, now suppose I expand that closet to 4 x 4, but leave everything else like it was in the 2.5 x 2.5 closet. The plants are still in a close-proximity square configuration with the light fixture directly above them. And suppose the walls of the closet are painted flat white. Will I get similar results?

In other words, should I choose my light (and lumen output) based upon the closet size, or upon the size of the space that the plants occupy within the closet?

Thanks.

IMO, no you will not get similar results as the plants are not getting the same amount of lumens. Even though the light is over the plants, the light will disburse throughout the entire room, wasting a lot of light.

Latest posts

Back