Basic questions on lights?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2small

Reaction score
What does a ballast do?

What are the advantages of a digital one?

Still learning!

2small said:
What does a ballast do?

What are the advantages of a digital one?

Still learning!

Basically the ballast ignites the light bulb and makes it work.

Digital are cooler and more efficient.

Exactly what GD said...and one more thing i might add...digi is way way lighter...so if you order online you sve on shipping...I will only buy digi from now on...

The ballast it like the heart of your lights. Not only are digital lighter/smaller they are also more efficient (can put out more light) and draw less amps. They are also more expensive, noticeably. Your budget will have to choose. A digital you can keep in your room. A magnetic you will probably want to keep outside of your room.

****-dog said:
The ballast it like the heart of your lights. Not only are digital lighter/smaller they are also more efficient (can put out more light) and draw less amps. They are also more expensive, noticeably. Your budget will have to choose. A digital you can keep in your room. A magnetic you will probably want to keep outside of your room.

Why is that? Noise? Heat?

Are the digitals alot more efficient or just a little, in yalls own experiance?

TexasMonster said:
Why is that? Noise? Heat?

Are the digitals alot more efficient or just a little, in yalls own experiance?
Heat. It's best to keep all your ballasts out of your grow area.

Digitals are WAY better than magnetics.

Here's an explanation page:

lumatek.co.uk/whyelectronicballasts.htm

thanks for the replies. that answers a lot of my questions.

2small said:
thanks for the replies. that answers a lot of my questions.
Do you still have questions that you're in doubt about? Post them, and we'll sort them out.

Latest posts

Back