Calgary Police seize four houses in $4.6M pot bust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
A Calgary couple has been arrested after police raided four houses in the city's south end and found $4.6 million worth of marijuana.

On Tuesday, police officers and tactical units searched houses in McKenzie Lake, Somerset, Shawnessy and Lake Chaparral, collecting 3,680 plants.

Sgt. Steve Kelly said police believe three of the houses were being used to grow the drug.

The couple alleged to have run the operation are Xiao Qun Yu, 32, and his partner Xing Hui Lin, 32. They face 22 charges including possession of marijuana, production of marijuana and theft of electricity and water.

"It's certainly linked to organized crime of some description," said Kelly.

"Marijuana is a street drug that generates a lot of money and makes money for people that could be used for any type of crime," he said.

The month-long investigation started when police were tipped off by a neighbour.

The suspects were at their Somerset home when police came on Tuesday. They opened the door and were arrested, said Kelly.

Neither one was known to police beforehand, he said.

Records show Yu was the registered owner of three of the homes and Lin was the registered owner of the McKenzie Lake house. The four houses combined were assessed at more than $1.6 million.

The Somerset property was bought in 2006, the McKenzie home in 2007, the Shawnessy house last April and the Chaparral house in November.

Neighbours said they saw people coming and going from the homes every now and then, shovelling snow or making the houses look lived in. Some even had Christmas lights still adorning the front.

Chaparral neighbour Gail Poffenroth said it seemed odd that the house's blinds were never opened.

"There was nobody living there; you could tell this was not a lived-in place," Poffenroth said.

"If it was, it was very weird," she said.

An alleged grow op in her neighbourhood, she said, was a sign of the times.

In McKenzie Lake, resident Cynthia Hall said she did not suspect something unusual.

"We saw them around and they seemed fine; this was a total shock," Hall said. "I'm glad they're gone."

Police are in the process of seizing the houses and a car that belonged to the couple.

In December, police made the largest residential marijuana bust in the city's history, seizing $3.25 million worth of pot plants. Unlike this week's bust, the crop of 2,600 plants seized in December were found in a single house, in West Springs.

hxxp://tinyurl.com/dh6vop

FruityBud said:
The month-long investigation started when police were tipped off by a neighbour.

nosy a$$ people...this makes me so angry.seriously if some nosy a$$ good for nothing housewife with nothing better to do then watch me shovel my driveway or watch lifetime all day calls the cops on me,i would probably bash her head into the concrete and end her POINTLESS existance on this planet.because people like that woman do not deserve to exist.some guy is making a good life for himself and this woman has to go and ruin it because lifetime was to busy playing reruns to keep her feeble mind occupied.its so sad.ignorant people are a disease.better yet ignorance is a disease,its now becoming an epidimic.told ya this makes me angry:)

these donut eating good for nothings would never get ANYTHING done if it wasnt for somebody opening there FAT OBESE MOUTH.

snitches get stiches lol. Not that I condone violence. There should be severe penalities for making false accusations, I'm talking jail time. If you want to play with someones life you should be willing to accept the same fate you tried to sell them into if you turn out to be wrong about them. That would make people think. Its sad and true that police forces don't really stop crime so much as clean up after it. How many times have you read a news paper article that starts with "Police arrived on the scene moments after....." or some such variation.

I'm starting to get all worked up and I'm working on this new zen thing so I'm just going to stop myself.

The reason they got busted wasn't because of the neighbors or the police.

It was nothing but their own greed that got them busted.

Three houses, millions of dollars, thousands of plants.

They might as well as hung a sign on each of the houses that said

"Please, bust me, I'm growing marijuana for sale in massive quantities"

They were dumb as a piece of wood and as greedy as any heroin dealer.

Just because they happen to be growing the plant we all enjoy doesn't make them saints. They were in it for money. There is no difference between them and anyone who moves any other types of drugs for profit. You get in their way and they'll bury you in a swamp.

Dealers are nothing but greedy pricks who would kill their own Mother for another dollar.

Grow your own. Only your own. Get out of the loop of giving money to thugs, thieves and lowlifes.

Thats the thing. People know they can make a lil money off it. Always saying "Ill just grow my own and maybe sell to a few close friends". Then people really want it cuz its good smoke. And they see the money they can make and its all down hill after that.

xxdjbud420xx said:
Thats the thing. People know they can make a lil money off it. Always saying "Ill just grow my own and maybe sell to a few close friends". Then people really want it cuz its good smoke. And they see the money they can make and its all down hill after that.
It starts with someone wanting to make money without working for it.

They think that it's just fine and dandy to grow a few pounds, chop it into units, then sell it for the same or slightly lower price than the OTHER thieves are selling it for. After all, they aren't doing anything that the OTHER rip-off artists aren't already doing! Why shouldn't they make all that money like the OTHER a-holes who jack the price of MJ to make a living off of so they don't have to have a real job.

Like I said, there is no difference between a person who sells pot for jacked up, rip-off prices and a person who sells heroin for the same reason.

Both are nothing but low-life, rip-off, lazy azz jerks trying to live off the proceeds of stealing from people and trying to justify it as "selling a desired commodity".

Grow your own. Only your own.

Help put these jerks out of business.

If you have extra pot and want to sell it, then figure out what it cost you to grow and sell it for that to your friends. They'll love it, you'll break even and everyone is happy.

Of course, now I'll hear; "But *I* took all the risks and time and effort to grow it. Why can't I make a profit?"

My answer is at the first part of this post. Read it again.

POTUS said:
It starts with someone wanting to make money without working for it.

They think that it's just fine and dandy to grow a few pounds, chop it into units, then sell it for the same or slightly lower price than the OTHER thieves are selling it for.

I agree to some extent with what your saying. But on the other hand, whats the difference between a apple tree farmer, and a marijuana farmer. They are supplying a product that consumers want. That doesn't make them a low life, or "someone trying to make money, for doing nothing" Its not nothing if your making a good plant that people are purchasing now is it? And just beacuse this plant happens to be illegal, now they are being treated like criminals, due to society saying this is a drug and it is killing millions of people.
Marijuana is not a drug, it is a plant that has been mis interprited, which has created the "gateway drug" image, and the "thug life," "hustlers" ambitions to hustle the streets and rob people of their money, because (There is no where else to get it) So, for you to call them greedy, yes they shouldn't have been trying to feed the entire state! But, common. they were farming just like any farmer and trying to sell their product. If growing marijuana and selling it wasn't an illegal activity, you wouldn't have to sell your product to thugs and organized crime mobs!
Instead you could sell it to marijuana dispensories, or medical places, suited for distributing the product at a safe and a fare rate.

Latest posts

Back