can someone pls check my numbers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popart

Reaction score
Newbie to hydro. I have 2 rubbermaid containers, that I set up Sept 24. I ph'd and nuted the water on both. One is quite large (a little too large) -- about 40 gal -- that one started at 6.4 ph with a ppm of 1280. The 2nd one (18 gal) started at 6.0ph and 2020 ppm (this number doesn't seem right). Now keep in mind, I have a good ph meter, and a very cheap and crappy TDS meter (getting a new one tomorrow). So the ppm numbers could be completely whacked - I'm not really sure. After one week I'm looking at Large container: 6.9ph 1180 ppm, small container: 7.1ph and 1000 ppm. IS this normal? Do I add some nutes, then lower the ph after a day or so?

what medium are you using? (hydroton, rockwool, etc..)

A rise in pH is normal for some meduims, but a 1000 reduction in PPM is a lot...

(you do know that over 1200 ppm's is really pushing it with hydro, right?)..2000 is waaaay too high, so hopefully that is just your meter actin funny style..

I'm using Hydroton. But I'm thinking my meter is F****ked.

you have to rinse hydroton super well...

I rinse mine until water runs clear and then I soak them in pH'd water overnight...

I've had the pH of plants in Hydroton that wasn't rinsed well fluctuate by a whole point or more in a 24hr period....also get an accurate way to test PPM's though...it makes things much simpler!

thanks - I plan on doing that tomorrow....more $$$$$

it'll all be good in the end, right?! :)

You should keep your ph around 5.5 for veg so your plants can take in the nutes it needs. Then when you put it into flower you can slowly raise your ph to 6.0
by the end of flowering.

Latest posts

Back