Cannabis Consumers Want Hollywood To Abandon Marijuana Stereotypes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnin1

Reaction score
From Forbes.com

Cannabis Consumers Want Hollywood To Abandon Marijuana Stereotypes

th

By Mike Adams

If Hollywood plans to capitalize on the average cannabis consumer, a new survey finds that it needs to abandon the use of stoner stereotypes in its productions.

It seems that marijuana users, the same market targeted with the recently canceled Netflix series ‘Disjointed’, are no longer okay with being represented on screen as burned out, lazy and absent minded. These folks, many of which are gainfully employed and have families, want the television and motion picture industry to get up with the times, toss the Cheech and Chong script template into the trash and show the cannabis culture in a more accurate light. If not, the success of future productions could be in jeopardy.

The survey, which was released on Wednesday by New York strategic research agency Miner and Company, shows the cannabis community wants Hollywood producers and writers to help change the perception surrounding people who use marijuana. They feel that as long as the “dumb stoner” character is being portrayed in the mainstream media, it will be more challenging getting society to embrace the scene without the prejudices that have infected it for the past several decades.

“Media has played an incredibly important role in the societal acceptance of cannabis consumption, but there’s still work to do,” Robert Miner, president of Miner & Co. Studio, said in a statement. “The same recognizable trope of the harmless silly stoner that drove normalization has now become an impediment to acceptance for productive and engaged consumers of cannabis.”

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fmikeadams%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F05%2FMiner1.jpg

Consumers in both the recreational and medical marijuana sectors want to see change.

“Recreational consumers feel concern that non-consumers of cannabis will take them less seriously and question their judgment," Miner added. “And consumers of medical marijuana too often find that they need to be careful discussing their use with some peers or employers who may see them as unreliable or lazy based on ingrained stereotypes of cannabis use – even for medical needs.”

Hollywood executives might want to take notice.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikead...o-abandon-marijuana-stereotypes/#6db7391eca1e

I also get a little disgusted that cannabis users are portrayed as stupid stoners in TV and movies. And it is a legitimate concern that non-cannabis users DO take those that smoke less seriously and think of them as dead-beat couch potatoes. I am always amazed that anyone on Reddit advocating loosening of cannabis laws is called a stupid stoner by at least a few people. There is still a huge amount of misinformation out there and Hollywood hasn't helped.

Cannabis smoker do get a bad rap! I don't watch the shows they have because they are not true! I roof steep Mountain Houses at age 60 and I know weed kept me going. .......rw

I know some very intelligent hard working ppl whom Smoke WEED daily,,and i assure you,,they are not lazy or stupid.

Latest posts

Back