CFL Lights v HPS / Metal halide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BUDISGUD

yes it is
Reaction score
iv been looking into buying a 4 lamp reflector unit ,and thinking of using the new 300watt cfl in each socket.
my question is ....are they as good as hps and halide? as i know cfl's come in red and blue spectrums and are supposed too be perfect for plants,plus less heat
would i get the same crop using cfl as hps/halide?
thanks

is their a BIG difference in quality and yield ?

BUDISGUD said:
is their a BIG difference in quality and yield ?
i use floro to veg and HPS to flower but the "difference" really depends on how you set it up....i know that does'nt tell you much but i guess it's one of those things you have to try for yourself...i believe you could produce a very good crop with 4 300w CFL's....i would use em' if i had em';)

You can't just compare the bulbs, you have to compare lumens to lumens. I prefer MH/HPS but that's my opinion. You want 4 300 watt cfl's vs what?

Ive seen people produce buds with 250 watts of cfl's that are better then alot of 400 watt hps grows ive seen...its all in how you use them and set them up. They are a pain in the arse...you have to adjust them every day and make sure they are 1-2" away from the plant. To really be effective with them you need them covering all the areas of the plant. To be honest I think for a smaller type grow a CMH bulb is best...now I havnt grown with one ( I will be buying a 400 watt soon) But I have seen amazing grows with them and they dont throw heat near like an hps so you can put em 4" from your plants. They are 4x better in veg then hps and equal to hps in flower. Anyways if you wanna adjust em feel free. Although I will tell you now that 4 300 watt cfls is gonna be VERY HOT...you would be better off using a couple of cooltubed 400watt hps. The bigger cfls are not the way to go with cfls. Best is using 23 or 42 watt cfls. Hope this helps

Pce

They are 4x better in veg then hps and equal to hps in flower.
I am assuming this is an "opinion" that you have, or wish to share, because I have certainly never seen or heard such outragous claims before.
4X better than hps" ... why isn't this a well known fact, and why in the world isn't EVERYONE useing them?..:confused:

400 watts of energy is going to produce a similar amount of heat from your lights. Wether they're cfl's, hps, mh, or incandesants. HPS is used by the majority of successfull growers for a very good reason. Because they are the best available... ;)

imo the best setup would be a 400w hps with reptillian uvb cfl's to increase thc production in the last few weeks of flowering.

thanks guys i think im gonna stick with my 600 watt hps / halide :)

i use 4-75 watt cfls and 3-75 watt blue grow lamps and do ok 4 plants in a 3x3x4 box. i keep them small. lol

i started using one of the 300 watt cfl but am now using 400 w hps. i dont know which is better but i didnt want to take a chance of the buds not being dense. ill use that 300 cfl for clones.

SSH

i think thats what im gonna do. we just got a new shop in town i might run up and check it out!!!

TheEnhancementSmoker said:

Sorry! No, you wont. Flo's produce smokable buds, but they are light and fluffy. Great for the veg stage, cloning and seedlings, tho.

Latest posts

Back