chiller idea!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryguy2011

Reaction score
We know that 3 feet underground stays about the same temp all year round and is usually about 65 degrees, this is why our water coming from wherever is cold, the water running through pipe underground cools water, so what if dug down a few feet and put a coil in the ground and back up,

Deeper ya dig the warmin it gets though pilgrem just remember that and ifin yual dont go deeps enough dependin on kind winters ya get it might freeze up on ya. Gets complicated to dial such a project in but reckon could be tweeked to work. Good luck to it ifin yual goin try it hopin it works fur ya ;) so go ahead and tryguy ;)

BWD

I usually find aquarium chillers on craigslist between 200 & 300 bucks.

I am not sure but I would think that would work with a little modification. I don't think just having a coil buried would be enough. if you have a 30gal plastic tank that can be sealed tight, you could dig down about 10-12' and set it in place. Then run hoses, one to a pump inside that is strong enough to lift that far (a sump pump rather than the standard aquarium pump), and and the other as the return. With the 30gal(or 50gal) rez full of water, allowed to sit for a week to cool down, should work nicely to cool the plant rez. :)

I don't think the earth begins to warm up again until you get beyond a 1/2mile down, maybe as much as a mile. Where you want to be is about 10-12feet. And if that gets you to the water table, so much the better as the water underground will cool the rez faster. :)

Latest posts

Back