Colorado marijuana sales bring high demand, long lines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7greeneyes

MedicalNLovingIt!
Reaction score
url: hMPp://www.cbsnews.com/news/colorado-marijuana-sales-bring-high-demand-long-lines/

Marijuana skeptics, of course, watched in alarm. They warned that the celebratory vibe in Colorado masked dangerous consequences. Wider marijuana availability, they say, would lead to greater illegal use by youth, and possibly more traffic accidents and addiction problems.

"It's not just a benign recreational drug that we don't have to worry about," said Dr. Paula Riggs, head of the Division of Substance Dependence at the University of Colorado-Denver medical campus.
The only problems reported Wednesday, though, were long lines and high prices. Some shops raised prices or reduced purchasing limits as the day went on. One pot shop closed early because of tight supply. Some shoppers complained they were paying three times more than they were used to.

Joe Rey, a grower at 3D Cannabis Center, waters marijuana plants at the company facility in Denver December 31, 2013. Proprietors of the first marijuana retailers licensed to sell pot for recreational use in Colorado, including 3D, were busy rolling joints and stocking shelves with their leafy merchandise on Tuesday, ahead of a New Year's Day grand opening that marks a new chapter in America's drug culture.

Colorado has no statewide pricing structure, and by midafternoon, one dispensary was charging $70 for one-eighth of an ounce of high-quality pot. Medical marijuana patients just a day earlier paid as little as $25 for the same amount.
Medical pot users worried they'd be priced out of the market. Colorado's recreational pot inventory came entirely from the drug's supply for medical uses.

"We hope that the focus on recreational doesn't take the focus away from patients who really need this medicine," said Laura Kriho of the patient advocacy group Cannabis Therapy Institute.

Colorado has hundreds of pending applications for recreational pot retailers, growers and processors. So it's too soon to say how prices would change more people enter the business, increasing supply and competition.

Shoppers waiting in line Wednesday didn't seem fazed by the wait, the prices, or the state and local taxes that totaled more than 25 percent.

"This is quality stuff in a real store. Not the Mexican brick weed we're used to back in Ohio," said Brandon Harris, who drove from Blanchester, Ohio.

Telluride selling 1/16th of an ounce only for $25.00 plus tax=over$31.00!!! That's right 1/16th And yes we grow good weed here but.....Come on man!

Yep I heard they were getting $50.00 for a 1/4 zip. I dont pay that here in the Big D for Dank Weed. But thats the price ya have to pay when the Local Government gets involved. Its called getting taxed to pay for rights ya should have in the first place. Thats what NCH is always trying to tell PPL, Legal means price hikes. SO i guess the question is,,can sick PPL afford for WEED to be Legal????

Yeah like everything else the government touches, It will get totally screwed up, more expensive, and hurt those who really need it, all while the fat heads in office pad their pockets.

Its so funny how the anti-marijuana people talk about how MJ isn't a harmless "drug" but ya don't hear them saying anything about how terrible tobacco and alcohol are.

gonna drive prices way up and quality way down IMHO

Thats the way it is,,,you have to pay,,and i mean pay thru the nose for your Freedom to live your life the way ya want. Whats freaken new???????????
Course the truth is if they are residents, they could grow their own weed,,instead of standing in a stupid line paying ridiculous prices. If more PPL in Colorado took advantage of their rights to grow now,,the prices wouldnt get so out of hand,,because thier wouldnt be lines like we seen on TV.

on that note if peeps around me took advantage of their growing opportunity i would be running less lamps...thats for sure...

Yall live in the wrong place or just plain stupid. Growing mmj isn't really that hard. If you had to pay those high prices either become a farmer, or put down that blunt, get in your car and drive to the better deals. Ever heard of weedmaps, leafley or any of the other mmj deal sites? Oz/s of FIRE sell for 54.00 tax included where I live. Sure I drive 29 miles for the deal (45 min) , yet it's surely worth the drive. If you have a farmer friend that lives far away, just tell them to mail it. USPS is a total joke. I mail parcels all the time nationwide.

This thread is over 4-1/2 years old. Prices have changed a lot since then.

.....this thread is four plus years old...lol
As for prices I wish I could laugh. I feel bad for those who don't know how to grow, and even more so for the true farmer. I do allot of business within commercial growing. After water prices and staggering down bulk prices the farmers are dropping every day. As for a dispensary client, both medical and rec prices are really dropping yet so is the quality. Most shops produce only hydro, pushing clones to sea of greens and are dumping crops every month, The quality just isn't there. On top of that most shops sell frozen shake weed. Whether it be nug, or shake, most stores freeze and shake all the tri chromes off. The sick headed tenders then turn around and sell the kief as a extra product. Pretty sleezy.
I have been in the industry for about 20 years....and yes...very thankful I know how to grow.

Everyone wants to come grow in Colorado. Why....stay home and grow where you live. With small plant counts and raiding DEA it isn;t worth it to come to colorado now. If you don't know about elevation variables surely don't come to colorado. lol,,I am at 7500 feet.

Latest posts

Back