DFW police see rise in more potent, expensive brand of marijuana

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
The arrest of three people last month with about 200 pounds of high-dollar marijuana outside Dallas’ W Hotel is another sign that the more potent pot continues to grow in popularity in the region.

The three were caught smuggling hydroponic marijuana in their recreational vehicle.

"People are offering to sell us 'hydro’ on the streets every week;" said L. Sparks, team leader of a special crimes task force in Johnson County. "We’ve probably seen a 50 percent increase in the last few years. They sell it as the good stuff."

Hydroponic marijuana is grown in a nutrient-laden solution instead of soil. Technological advances have allowed cultivators to create elaborate indoor growing operations and boost the potency of tetrahydrocannabinol, the active chemical, authorities said.

Because of the increased potency, hydroponic pot sells for much more than marijuana from Mexico. A pound of hydroponic marijuana sells for between $3,000 and $5,000 depending on the quality. A pound of average marijuana from Mexico goes for $300 to $500.

Authorities say the marijuana seized outside the W could be worth about $1 million.

Growers in North Texas have turned homes in middle-class neighborhoods into hidden gardens with plants growing in every room, even the attic. Last year in Red Oak, authorities found more than 150 growing plants behind a bookcase that hid a secret door.

"Sometimes, the only way to know from the outside is that the windows are blacked out," said Herschel Tebay, commander of the Tarrant County Narcotics Division. "It is very hard to detect."

Locally grown

Information gleaned during an investigation led officers to the green-and-tan Winnebago outside the W Hotel, authorities said. Inside, officers found hidden in a tea bag the key to a secure compartment. Inside that — and elsewhere in the motor home — they found large zipper-style bags filled with marijuana.

The motor home’s occupants, a man, 30, and two women, 28 and 29, were allegedly paid $5,000 each to transport the marijuana to the region from California, said Capt. Jeff Wawro of the Denton County Sheriff’s Department.

"It was about three to five times stronger than your average street marijuana," Wawro said.

Hydroponic marijuana smuggled into North Texas often comes from California, where it is produced under the guise of being made for medical purposes, he said. But authorities said much of product found around Tarrant County appears to have been grown locally.

The reason is that, unlike Mexican street weed, hydroponic marijuana and the equipment mean high overhead costs for the grower, said Lt. Robert Rangel of the Fort Worth police narcotics division.

"Once you add in the transportation costs, it can really get expensive," Rangel said. "They’re already asking a high price for it, so it’s generally harder for them to make as much money if they’re shipping it long distances."

Difficult to catch

The Tarrant County Narcotics Division gets about five "good-sized" indoor growing operations a year, Tebay said.

The systems are elaborate: carefully designed irrigation, carbon dioxide exchange, ventilation, lighting, automatic timers. Some growers will spend $20,000 on equipment.

"Once they get everything set up, it just takes a little pruning," he said.

Most growers are highly organized, keeping detailed notes on what days to use what nutrients. They tend to be better educated than the typical grower because there is a science to the process, Rangel said.

In fact, their lifestyle, and that of their customers, makes them difficult to catch, he said. Unlike a crack house, neighbors will not likely see strung-out addicts hanging around. They are less likely to grow suspicious and call police, which is how investigators often learn about drug activity.

One of the largest hydroponic grows that Johnson County officers have found — 600 plants — was in 2007 in Burleson. Officers smelled the marijuana as they approached, but neighbors were shocked to learn what the homeowner was growing.

"It is a much more expensive customer base; they aren’t like your typical meth or heroin user," Rangel said. "The users wear nice clothes and drive fancier cars. And most growers aren’t going to sell it out of the house anyway. They don’t want customers to know where their grow spot is. That’s why it is hard to find."

hxxp://tinyurl.com/d5mfvc

Mexicans have excellent weed. They just don't handle and package it the way we do here. It is usually packed tightly while still wet. The trichs are crushed and degraded. Then you add the mold and your thc level is down to next to nothing. That is why there are a lot of great strains developed using mexican strains. Usually from bag seed.

being a mexican i know people and they are starting to sell alot of mid grade along with there usual stress seems like there starting to learn how to grow a little better but still aint **** compared to what you can get at southern cali medi clubs best weed all around

you would think that since that is one of there best resources they would take the extra time to cure and up there rep a little bit.

Amen to Kasgrow...The weed was excellent in Mexico when I was there. The problem is the packaging (of course it could be the long donkey rides from way up in the mts?) -a lot of buyers do jam it up and end up with a funky product. I'm raising a glass of mezcal to my friends in Michiocan...

lets all take a trip down to guadalajara mexico, i will get us a qp of some of the best looking chronic u have ever seen. the cost u may ask? 65 pesos!!!

how does it get any better, (besides the bust), me , two hotties, a winnebago, and, yep, Bonus- 15gs', and 200lbs...:hubba: ;) ...

sounds like the MP Bus tour...bb...:D

I am really glad to hear that we are usually more educated than most, drive nice cars, wear nice clothes, and our neighbors love us. Shipping to Dallas is not expensive from my stand point. Now if they will just realize that we are not violent criminals, we all just want to get along in this world. I am just a buissness man just like the fellow down at the bank, or anywhere else for that matter. Most of these people that transport weed are idiots in my area, and deserve to get busted. I had a kid show up with no current regestration, one headlight missing and thought he was gonna transport for me.... Idiot! Sooner or later the government will have to ligitimize our buissness, we make far to much money. And it is obvious we are'nt going anywhere. If it were not for pot who else would be buying all those nice clothes, cars, homes, and toys of all sorts. I would not be able to donate all that cash to my local volunteer fire department. Nor would the local childrens hospital get that big anonomus donation every year! 100 Nintindo DS's with games does not grow on trees, or does it?

Wiseguy_Chef said:
lets all take a trip down to guadalajara mexico, i will get us a qp of some of the best looking chronic u have ever seen. the cost u may ask? 65 pesos!!!
Ain't no way in hell I'm going to Mexico right now. With the Cartells waging war. I'm staying here in the mountains away from death

same here city.:eek: . the only way you'd get me over THAT border right now, is as a hostage.:rolleyes: :eek: . and good luck with that. i shoot back...bb...

lol just about what i was gunna say city i rather be here with the safe gangbangers with pea shooters i have heard i have family from a very high ranked cartel but now there just another pic on americas most wanted with a captured in front of it but if anything its the tj police people have to worry about

yeah for got about that little fact. lol, well its only really bad near the border more jaurze guys. over 3500 killed in 2008 thats no joke an now its starting to spill over in to the US at el paso. some crazy stuff!

Latest posts

Back