dirtyOLsouth's Mazar Bagseed grow...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Here's a pic of a leaf very stressed by the UVB lighting... They get a very weathered alligator skin look to them...

Also a shot of my 1K Dual Arc in action...

MazarDay32_6.jpg

UVBstress1.jpg

DualArc.jpg

Hi DOS-
You giving all the ladies the uvb light? Have you ever done a side by side comparison to see the difference in trich development?
Either way, you've got me convinced to give it a try. Thanks.

BBFan said:
Hi DOS-
You giving all the ladies the uvb light? Have you ever done a side by side comparison to see the difference in trich development?
Either way, you've got me convinced to give it a try. Thanks.

Yup... about 90 minutes per day now... I may even back off til later in flower as a couple plants tops are really looking a bit more on the finished side than I'd like to see this early at day 32. :rolleyes:

When I first started messing with UVB in '06 I was able to compare grows of the same strain's clones with and without and there was NO contest. Hands down, the run with the UVB's bud was I'm guessing 20%+ more dank depending on strain. I think UVB really aids in ripening... More trichs all around and more amber trichs sooner... Yield with UVB was comparable to previous grows without UVB... Some strains tend to slow down on the very top a bit and the buds do more fattening by growing out just a couple inches and below the bud's grow tips. That's what's going on now with my Mazar bagseed gals...

Just PLEASE be careful messing with UVB... RESPECT that they can hurt you... Repeated and prolonged exposure is very bad for your skin and can cause skin cancer just like the sun but more concentrated... And never look directly at the bulbs and keep some UV blocking sunglassed around for safety.

Try to mount or place your UVB source in such a way that you can't be exposed easily. I would have to remove my plants and get inside my closet to be directly exposed... I also suggest if you can to set it up so that you can unplug or turn off the bulb from outside the grow room so you can kill it before you enter. I have my daylight period from 7pm til 7am in my closet and I put the UVB on a timer to go on from 2am-330am so usually I'm crashed during it's cycle.

Good Luck!:cool:

Excellent info DOS- Thank you.
I'm looking at a 24" tube uvb used for reptiles. My next grow is only going to be 2 or 3 plants (trying something different) and I thought I'd position the uvb bulbs (2 bulb fixture) between my 2 hid units on a seperate timer as you advise.
Here's the bulbs I'm looking at:
hxxp://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/214702/product.web

Do you think these would be sufficient? Or is 2 bulbs too much?

Really appreciate all your help on this DOS. Thanks again.

BBFan said:
Excellent info DOS- Thank you.
I'm looking at a 24" tube uvb used for reptiles. My next grow is only going to be 2 or 3 plants (trying something different) and I thought I'd position the uvb bulbs (2 bulb fixture) between my 2 hid units on a seperate timer as you advise.
Here's the bulbs I'm looking at:
hxxp://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/214702/product.web

Do you think these would be sufficient? Or is 2 bulbs too much?

Really appreciate all your help on this DOS. Thanks again.

Hey BBFan...

Is that as in "Big Bud fan?" AN Big Bud or big buds in general? :p

Your placement sounds great. With things being tight in my closet I've had to mount it facing at an angel from just under my 1K's hood. I rotate my plants a 1/4 turn daily so they eventually get the similar amount of exposure. And it's really difficult to guess how strong a given UVB lamp is... I'm not sure how wattage/lumens, etc. relates to that part of the spectrum. The reptile bulbs are rated 5.0... 10.0.... etc.??? :confused: I'd really suggest doing some serious Googling over the weekend to see if you can see what's working for other growers. That way you won't be poking in the dark... or UVB spectrum of the light... like me! :rolleyes:

I'm using a Philips UVB T12 that is made for medical phototherapy... You might be able to find a supplier that will sell it to you but you might have to be creative with coming up with an industrial use as they're supposed to only be used by a doctor's prescription or for "industrial use"... whatever that might be... It's a 4' Philips FS40T12 UVB tube. There are several medical supply companies that carry them. I wish I remembered for sure what Philips bulb I was using when I first tried this almost four years ago but this one might be a bit stronger if it isn't the same one. I'm such a space cadet... too much weed perhaps. This is more than likely the same one as it is doing to dank deed... If the AN mj forum was still alive I'd have plenty of resources to check out from my old posts! Oh well... Things are very similar to last time I just have some tweaking to do. Don't we all?

If you really dig around the forums and also Google things like "uvb marijuana" "uvb flowering marijuana" etc... You'll find links to various mj forums and the discussions and it should give you a good starting point for your experiments. My only thought is to give them limited amounts until they build up some tolerance to the UVB spectrum... Maybe start 1/2 hour per day for a week and then increase 15-20 minutes every few days until you arrive at your desired amount. I think I read of some guys giving them as much as 5 hours with some of the reptile bulbs and just maybe they might be weaker than my T12 and better for mj as you may be able to give them a more useful dose or a more controlled amount. Stronger may not necessarily mean better... I had two of these bulbs in a fixture when I first got it and I gave one tube an 1/8 turn to keep it from making electrical contact after I scorched the sh*t out of a few fan leaves. I think I'm going to wait until I see what one bulb does and if they build up some tolerance to the UVB rays...

Any-hoo. Have fun and be SAFE! :eek:

Peace!:cool:

Thanks for asking, Zipflip and it's funny you should ask... I took some pic's last nite but didn't get a chance to upload them til this a.m... Now that I'm looking at them I should have taken an overall shot but I guess that I couldn't stop zooming in on trich's... The leaves are starting to get pretty tired looking and they're starting to fall off more and more per usual going into week 7.

Well as you can see the girls are coming right along. The first several pic's show a shade of purple has emerged on the most gooey girl. This is the same plant that is at least a week ahead of the other phenos. The other phenos are flowering strong and look like they have at least another week. Two of the other four in particular have larger colas than the speedy purple tinted one...

I'll probably harvest the purple one in about a week when things are a bit more swelled up and hopefully about 50%+ amber. The top of the buds are about 10% amber at this point so I'll start to flush it now... I'll let the others go til they are nice and amber. It kinda sucks having four different styles of plant at this time because it's so much easier if you have plants cloned from the same mother when it comes to harvest time so they all finish together. I think I'll call the purple pheno Purple Mazarple... It looks amazing and I can't wait to smoke it but I will... and god do I have lame weed right now. Actually several types of lame weed I've been digging up from my stash spots... Nasty... But I'm trying to make the haul til harvest... Better days are ahead, indeed.

If you notice something that looks like a strand of hair in a couple pic's it's... Um.... hair. When I first saw the hair in the pic I ran back to the closet to make sure I didn't have some type of web... :eek:

Thanks to all for stopping by...

MazarDay41_1.jpg

MazarDay41_2.jpg

MazarDay41_3.jpg

MazarDay41_4.jpg

MazarDay41_5.jpg

MazarDay41_6.jpg

MazarDay41_7.jpg

MazarDay41_8.jpg

MazarDay41_9.jpg

MazarDay41_10.jpg

MazarDay41_11.jpg

dirtyolsouth said:
Here are two more pic's from Day 26... Glisten my little pretties! :rolleyes: F.Y.I... They are around 28 - 30" tall from the soil surface and I only have 6" that I can lower them so I might have to do some bending if they keep going up much more... We'll see...

I'll post another update next week...

Happy Growing! :cool:

Mazar Bagseed Grow Journal... Day 26, more pic's

DAYAM, Dirty!
You rock, man. Freakin gorgeous.
Sparkle ON, Ladies!

Lassie

"they're Grrrrrrrrrrrrreattt!!!!" (frosted flakes slogan/frosted buds) lol

well,... i thoguht it was funny at the moment lol
cant wait to see a canopy/overall shot of the group..

Hello to all...

Things are finally winding down with girls now that they're on day 49. For the past 9 days I've been increasing their dark period 10 minutes more each night. I'm hoping that this will help the plant trigger to finish and amber up. I'll follow this week of flush with 3 days in the dark without water as well. I've had great results with a dark period at the end of my grows in the past but I've never toyed with the 12/12 photoperiod before so we'll see...

I had two phenos of this grow that didn't show significant trich development until a few days ago when I could see some glistening coming onto those as well. One of the four, the purple tinged one clearly has the most trichs but there is one other pheno in the other pot that is impressive so far as well and it looks much different than the purple-ish one. The purple one has much more of a classic mazar/kush look to the buds and leaves. The other 3 phenos must have the other parent's genes dominant as they are still flowering hard while the ripening has just begun. The purple could be done right now. There's 25-30% amber trichs but new trichs are starting to overtake the ambers and it looks like I've rolled it in sugar. Since it's sharing a pot with another slower pheno for this experimental grow I couldn't flush it earlier as that would deny the other pheno the needed nutes. The other three look like they're about a week away so the flush begins in a couple days as I just gave them their last feed tonight. I may flush the 3 slower phenos for two weeks depending on how ripe/amber they're looking in week. I'm looking at next week for the purple darling... I can't wait to do several of the purple ones at once for a bloom cycle. It's such a quick plant... 6-8 weeks depending on how amber you'd like it. If you like your trichs cloudy with just a few amber it could get chopped at 6-7 weeks. That's going to be after my next bloom as I have several strains I'm dying to flower... WW, Avalanche and Poison Afghan...

Here are the latest pics in no particular order... I used less nutes (ppm) than I ever have this time around, peaking at 1000ppm for week 4 but I still have some nute burn on the leaves. It's not as hungry as many indicas as I've grown before. The leaves are yellowing and falling off some but for the most part the canopy is still quite full.

I'll post another update next week... Thanks for stopping by!;)

MazarDay49_2.jpg

MazarDay49_3.jpg

MazarDay49_4.jpg

MazarDay49_7.jpg

MazarDay49_5.jpg

MazarDay49_8.jpg

MazarDay49_9.jpg

MazarDay49_10.jpg

MazarDay49_1.jpg

MazarDay49_11.jpg

MazarDay49_12.jpg

i see ya movin forth wit the lightin thing you spoke to me about..
looks great man.
the fourth picture catches my eye when i blow it up. the tiny dark green leaf blades comin out on the top of the bud look exactly like wat the small buds on one my reveg girls looked like after 2 weeks of refeging. they looked almost fake like a dark shiny green plastic like leafs.
i might be seeing things but it looks like ya plant might be tryin to veg out a bit , maybe from the playin round wit the lightin bit? or maybe im jsut seein things too.
idk i got good buzz on this mornin. a couple friends came by last nite and we was playin pinochle and gettin stoned all nite. lol and one left me a couple buds . wat a sweetheart lol.
you ever try playin double deck pinochle stoned, and gettin more an more stoned while playin. it dont work very well lol.
too much thinkin for bein stoned for me. lol
they still lookk fat an juicy an most all, tasteeeeeeeee :) slurp.

dos,
i've done the uvb supplemental lighting. I would not say that I saw much increase in trichome production. i used a reptilian cfl uvb. the plants oozed tri's without the uvb. with the uvb, there may have been more tri's, but it was hard to see much difference. I tried smoking the one with uvb vs the non uvb to compare...but i was always too stoned to tell much difference. the conclusion i came to, was that if you have a lower grade of cannabis with few trichomes, then uvb may increase trichome production...but if you already have trichomes covering the plant, it will not increase appreciablly.:D

Hey Umbra...

How goes it? Thanks for the feedback and it's dankward from here... for the longest two weeks of the grow!

In my past grow in the same closet (600w hps/T5 for sidefill) a few years ago I did many experiments comparing buds of the same strains from grows with and without UVB. The buds without UVB had been grown during winter months when temps and conditions were as good as they get in my setup. The weed I grew with the UVB was during the summer months with less ideal conditions.

The bud that had been grown w/UVB supplementation had earlier and slightly more trich production but it also had more depth in flavor and the best part... a more couch-lock buzzzzzzzz from increased amber trichs. Imho, where it was most noticeable was more in the percentage of amber trichs and depth of ripeness on plants that flowered for either the same # or less days in comparison with the control group of clones from the same strain/genetics. Another thing that struck me about the flavor was that the first comparison tests the control group buds had been properly cured for a couple months and despite this it still did not measure up on the tongue to buds recently dried and partially cured from the UVB supplemented bloom cycle. When the UVB was properly cured another taste test a month or so later made this all the more evident.

The biggest challenge to me is that I'm still trying to get a handle on how much UVB to use and how much is sufficient. Another good point to make is I have no idea what the difference in intensity between UVB 'reptile' lamps and the Philips FS40T12 'phototherapy' lamps that I use either. I'm guessing that the 'reptile' bulbs probably don't have near the intensity of med phototherapy UVB lamps. That wouldn't surprise me since reptile/zoo UVB bulbs are widely available over the counter and the medical Philips lamps I have are restricted for general sales to the public as they require a doctor's prescription for their purchase/use due to safety reasons. If anything the Philips lamps are a bit too intense and exposure must be carefully managed by keeping a keen eye out for signs of UVB stress and the exposure has to be adjusted.

I think where UVB could make the most significant differences is when they are used to supplement lower wattage fluorescent (T12's, T5's, CFL,'s etc.) grow rooms but often these growers are new to the hobby and rarely have all the environmental factors optimized. I do believe that using UVB lighting is a very esoteric side of this hobby and should only be used by more experienced growers due to the safety issues.

Is UVB necessary for growing dank bud? Of course not. But I do feel it helps many strains benefit, particularily indica strains from mountainous regions such as Afghanistan known for having increased UV level exposure due to their elevation. I had slight yet significant trich production and it influenced ripeness quite significantly. It's a P I T A to arrive at the proper amount of exposure and lamp strength but is worth it in the long run, imho.

This is a very new area of growing and due to the justifiable limitations placed by safety reasons I don't know how much advancement will be made to include UV spectrum in grow lights here in America but in the UK there's a company doing some interesting product development including UV in the grow light spectrum... You can check them out here:

hXXp://www.nlites.co.uk/

Happy (& SAFE!) Growing!:cool:

Absolutely spectacular. Congrats on a amazing grow.

THose are some of the most beutiful plants. So sticky.... love the purple!

Hello there...

It's been a while as I had a mishap with my digital camera and a can of Squirt soda... :eek: But after drying it off, cleaning it up and many prayers it seems to be working again... :rolleyes: I took these pic's on day 60 last week just before I took the knife to the first plant that finished up. This is the one plant in the group of four that is the most "Mazar" of the grow. The bagseed that I got it out of was some Mazar so the seeds must be a cross as only one of the four look like classic Mazar and the other 3 look much different and are anywhere from 1-3 weeks longer in flowering time.

I chopped the "mazar" one last week and one of the other pheno's is getting close and another isn't far behind. The 4th phen just keeps on flowering and flowering and flowering... It does have some slight signs of slowing down and it's really just started putting on the trichs just when I was wondering if it was a dud... Never say never.

So... I'll probably cut the next pheno within a week when I get some amber trichs. So far they're about 80% cloudy... I'll post some pics of dry buds pretty soon in a couple days...

MazarDay60_1.jpg

MazarDay60_2.jpg

MazarDay60_3.jpg

MazarDay60_4.jpg

MazarDay60_5.jpg

MazarDay60_6.jpg

MazarDay60_7.jpg

MazarDay60_8.jpg

MazarDay60_9.jpg

sum fine lookin nugets ya got there DOS!!

But after drying it off, cleaning it up and many prayers it seems to be working again...
lil trick i lerned wit cell phones after ruining so many over the years to water damage lol i would take a can of that air duster for computer keyboards an blow in as many openings as i could and after that i'd take and put my phone in a bag of dry rice overnight which would absorb most if not allthe moisture before it sets indies long enough to cause any major corrosion etc.

well thats a nice lookin grow 'ole south..fine lookin bud's ya have there...cheers dude-ranch:p ps: the south is HOT right now....good grow maing;)

Greetings MP friends...

Thanks to everyone who has been along for the ride and now it's time to wrap up this bloom thread. All in all this has been a good effort and my jars of medication will last a while so onward and dankward. I had a successful harvest despite a few curve balls in the eleventh hour. I had to jump the gun on harvest of 2 of the 4 plants to save my remaining crop from a bud rot scare. I first noticed the rot after spotting two lil dreaded NANNERS on the biggest bud of the slowest girl. :eek: Upon close inspection of the large bud sure enuf I noticed what I'm guessing is the cause of the stress I presume: Evil Botrytis. I harvested my fastest girl a week earlier and was within a day of chopping #2. Prior to seeing the nanners I had planned on letting #3 go another few days to a week and #4 was only starting at finish so it might have had another 3 weeks left had the chain of events of the last couple days not occurred.

Since I had different phenos sharing pots for this test grow it limited my options. So I said to myself: "Self, would you rather have many sacks of cloudy trich'd green buds or very few sacks of 40-60% amber trich buds?" Hmmmm... Where are my scissors? ;) The big honkin hermie had to go and with the sight of bud rot in the garden I wanted to stop it from spreading and cut my losses right then and there. Nothing like a few hours of work when you least expect at 1am but that's part of never knowing what you gotta do for your girls... Roll with it...

The first pheno I harvested is very Mazar, 6-8 weeks depending on harvest pref. It pours on the trichs from late in week 3. If you like your indica trichs clear to cloudy with only a few ambers it's fine smoke at 6 weeks but will fill out slightly and steadily amber up over the next two weeks. The other three phenos look like whatever the male parent was with a good dose of Sativa. It reminds me of California Orange bud I grew many years ago and pheno #2 is a keeper. #2 is a bit later to start trich production but really pours it on the last few weeks and is a very decent yielder with 12 oz can sized main colas. All the 'Orange' phenos responded very well to supercropping, lollipopping and fimming which made the 4 main colas spread out and get very dense but unfortunately this contributed to the bud rot issue. 'Orange' Phenos 3 & 4 had a similar look as #2, only a bit slower. #3 was very close at around 90% cloudy with a few amber trichs. I think if #4 hadn't got bud rot and then hermie'd that it has great potential as it was very sticky when I gave it the knife early. I cut away and tossed about a half oz or so of tainted bud so I'm lucky I caught it early. #4 had very fat old school large Fosters Lager can sized buds and I'm sure the density was the culprit. NO fungus for me, thank you.

I got a yield on the low side of around 2.5 or slightly more oz from the very Mazar pheno (#1) that I harvested last week at 8 weeks. It didn't like fimming on the two colas I did it with but did like lollipopping and supercropping. And it's very potent and a great bed time buzz as it makes your eyelids feel like they have the weight of the world on them. You can barely keep them open long enough to have a snack but somehow I manage...:p After getting the 'orange' pheno golf ball buds dry the plants averaged 3.4 oz each. I had two plants per 10 gal pot but I think a well vegged "#2 pheno" plant in a 7 or 10 gal pot could do closer to a half lb in optimum conditions. I had split up all the large colas to air and inspect each and they have dried very nice in my drying box. I can't say I'm happy to see a herm but because of it I noticed the bud rot early so all is well that ends well. My final total was a little under 13 oz. That's not great per watt but it's pretty decent for a test grow and now that I know these two strains I can do much better optimizing their conditions in future grows. I'm going to call the orange one "Lucy" ;)

Any-hoo... Thanks again and I'll seeya on the forum... Here are some pic's from before and after drying.

MazarBudHarvest_1.jpg

MazarBudHarvest_2.jpg

BigO_1.jpg

BigO_3.jpg

BigO_4.jpg

BigO_5.jpg

BigO_6.jpg

BigObud_1.jpg

BigObud_2.jpg

BigO&Mazar_1.jpg

Mazar&BigObud_1.jpg

MazarBud_1.jpg

Beautiful work DOS!
Soory to hear about your last minute troubles, but looks like you're in great shape for the time being.
Congrats on the great harvest.

Latest posts

Back