Do new flowers ever resemble balls?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erasmus

Reaction score
I'm in my 4th-5th week of 12/12, and I have this one plant thats always been a bit runty, but it ended up being a female so I kept it around. Now at this point in flowering it's flowers are way smaller than the rest.

Peaking into my closet I swear it looks like I see little balls spotted among the flowers, but when I pulled it out to take a closer look I wasn't as sure. So my question is, could flowers that haven't sent out their little pistil yet ever look like pollen sacs?

Sounds like it Hermied to me but :postpicsworthless:

"So my question is, could flowers that haven't sent out their little pistil yet ever look like pollen sacs?"

NO!

:yeahthat: sounds like some stress or something has caused it to hermi on you sorry about the bad MOJO but on the bright side if your not trying to pollinate or even care about hermi seeds (that have the tendency to grow female ;)) you can still let it growand get some smoke from it, BUT imo id kill it quick.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have two Firehydrant plants that are doing the same thing. It is definitely a female but everytime i look at it I have to take a closer look. It has very few pistils. They better not be hermies!!!

erasmus said:
I'm in my 4th-5th week of 12/12, and I have this one plant thats always been a bit runty, but it ended up being a female so I kept it around. Now at this point in flowering it's flowers are way smaller than the rest.

Peaking into my closet I swear it looks like I see little balls spotted among the flowers, but when I pulled it out to take a closer look I wasn't as sure. So my question is, could flowers that haven't sent out their little pistil yet ever look like pollen sacs?

If you are a newbie grower, it is possible you are mistaking the first few days of flowers for a possible female. But if those start to turn into round/oval sacs without white pistils sticking up in some parts, perhaps in empty nodes, then it is male. That sac will enlargen / engorge, and then it will open up and you will see in it little yellowish/greenish tiny "bananas" that each open up and burst individually and pop their lighter-than-air pollen into the air.

You should separate it and keep it under watch if you are not certain how to quickly ID males and females within 1-2 days of their showering flowers. You will get used to it with time and more grows and more plants planted and sexed, and be able to quickly ID both sexes very quickly.

I hope you are enjoying growing.

well pistils come out eventually but its really slow. They look like sacs and then days later a pistil will pop out. i think its just kinda slow. personally I will never grow this strain again. The ones im growing are from feminized seeds and I just dont like the whole feminized thing. They were a gift so i grew them.

it actually sounds a lot like maine's situation. This is my second grow and I can usually spot males/females right away. It's definitely a female but the buds are kinda spindly.

The fact that I don't see any of the spots I'm nervous about engorging (like, with pollen) is the main thing that's reassuring me. Also that I haven't seen any of the balls drop yet.

looks like this plant may need a while to flower.

I hate to say but that sounds like a herm to me....
Seperate or risk contamination.. seedless is a beautiful thing(exspensive too).
A picture is worth a 1000 words... but I don't need that many, if I had a pick I could sum it up real quick like.

i had dropped a budding plant so i salvage what i could got 8 clones AND all of them are like that , def.female and when they started to take root and grow they automaticly had trichomes and there all over these clones but its balls with few hairs per ball but it is covered in trichomes white cant wait but i cant tell when to harvest they just keep growing- so keep her and give her a little more water and see if she takes off my did good luck

clowd-9 said:
i had dropped a budding plant so i salvage what i could got 8 clones AND all of them are like that , def.female and when they started to take root and grow they automaticly had trichomes and there all over these clones but its balls with few hairs per ball but it is covered in trichomes white cant wait but i cant tell when to harvest they just keep growing- so keep her and give her a little more water and see if she takes off my did good luck

HUH? Dude I wanna some of what yur smoken.:rolleyes:

... I'm high.
You are... somewhere WAYYY over the rainbow. What strain are you puffing... I need a clone.

Heres a few pics of my two plants. Are they hermies? Should I kill them now?

IMG_0758.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG

IMG_0762.JPG

maineharvest said:
Heres a few pics of my two plants. Are they hermies? Should I kill them now?

Looks like your getting foxtails on the plant. And the calyxs look really swollen. The only one of those pictures that might be a herm is the first one imo. But even that might not be the pictures kinda fuzzy. Im no herm expert ive never really gotten one somehow.

If you only have 2 plants I would just let them finish either way but thats me. Good luck

i chopped them anyways. they are taking up space when i could be concentrating on my good genetics. I am not impressed with this Firehyrant strain.

I don't know if it is/was hermie, but your plant(s) are definitely full of swollen seed sacs!

If you have good strain, then be thankful for those special seeds!

But if they were produced by hermie self-pollenation, then maybe they are not so good...

Were your plants exposed to males? Or at all outdoors? If so, then pollen could have easily been carried by the wind considering that other people in your area (even miles away) could be growing male marijuana plants outdoors that have not yet been cut down or are growing wild and are flowering.

Latest posts

Back