do u no my name?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanehduhbuz

Reaction score
:rolleyes: anybody no what this houseplant is called. i've nursed it back to health, but it looks like its starting to get sic.:eek:

P1000454.JPG

P1000456.JPG

:yeahthat: looks like a pineapple sitting in a pot of dirt:D lol

It is a Sago Palm. Nice exotic from asia I think? I know it gets big if in the right area and given the right nurturing.....we are talking about 10 feet tall. There are male and female plants and they grow very slowly. It is a very nice/interesting plant to have if you can keep it alive. It looks like it is doing very well so far.:cool:

thanks clever - yes, it is , but all the green pines needles will start to turn whitish, + a "rash" settles all over it. is this a cycle the plant goes thru. do u no which good nutes would do best.

kanehduhbuz said:
thanks clever - yes, it is , but all the green pines needles will start to turn whitish, + a "rash" settles all over it. is this a cycle the plant goes thru. do u no which good nutes would do best.

My Mom had one of these a while back she had it for years. I know it got root bound on here though and ended up dying, As to nutes?, that I am unsure of but I found this info on it.

Cycas revoluta, one of the most primitive living seed plants, are very unusual and popular ornamentals. A rugged trunk, topped with whorled feathery leaves has lead to the common name "Sago Palm", however it is actually related to conifer and Ginko trees - all cone bearing plants which trace their origins back to the ancient flora of the early Mesozoic era. Often called "living fossils", Cycads have changed very little in the last 200 million years.

While various species of Cycads can be found throughout the world, the subtropical C. revoluta is native to the Far East and has been used as a choice container and landscape plant for centuries. The growth habit of Cycas revoluta displays an upright trunk with a diameter from 1" to 12" depending on age, topped with stiff feather-like leaves growing in a circular pattern. Rather than continuously adding foliage, Sagos produce a periodic "flush" of new leaves, called a "break". Eventually, offsets begin to grow at the base of the specimen, and occasionally in the crown. The addition of offsets provides a source of new plants and many possibilities for developing an unique specimen.

Regardless of age or size, Cycas revoluta is one of the easiest plants to grow, indoors or out, by beginner or expert. This subtropical adapts to a wide range of temperatures from 15 to 110 degrees F (-11 to 42 degrees C), accepts full sun or bright interior light, thrives with attention, and tolerates neglect. In addition, Cycads are extremely long-lived. A 220 year old specimen of Encephalartos, a relative of Cycas revoluta, is on display at the Royal Botanic Garden, Kew England; the restoration of the famous Palm House required it to be temporarily transplanted to a holding area for more than a year; the move was successful and is an example of the durability of these ancient "living fossils".

TEMPERATURE RANGE is from 15 to 110 degrees F (-11 to 42 C). Temperatures in the high teens may frost-damage leaves which may turn yellow or brown. Remove these to reduce stress on the plant and encourage new leaves in the spring. If temperatures fall below 15, the sago may die, however, as long as the trunk and leaf crown is hard wood, it should recover. If the trunk turns soft, your sago may be damaged beyond recovery. Our field of sago palms survived 11 degrees, a century low in South Texas, however large live oak trees planted throughout the "sago patch" provided some protection. We removed all the damaged leaves and the sagos grew new ones the following spring. HUMIDITY range is from dry to wet.
LIGHT: Sagos grow in full sun, but adapt to outdoor shade or an indoor area which receives bright light or a few hours of morning or afternoon sun.
RATE OF GROWTH is extremely slow. The fastest rate observed in South Texas commercial production (which has excellent growing conditions of hot summers and mild winters) under 30% shade is three new sets of leaves and an increase of 1" (3 cm) of height and trunk diameter per year. When grown as potted indoor specimens, Cycads may add only one set of new leaves every year or two and remain somewhat the same size (one reason they are excellent for bonsai).
LONGEVITY: Cycas revoluta are extremely long lived and old specimens can grow in curious ways. The multi-trunk and multiple branched specimen shown below was planted at the Huntington Gardens in San Marino, California over 80 years ago and is 15' (5 m) tall with a clump diameter of 12' (4 m).

PRONUNCIATION: sAgo (long A) often mistakenly pronounced or spelled sego (see-go) palm.

SOIL should be well drained and rich in humus, although these durable plants seem to grow in almost anything. In the landscape or garden, be sure to plant Sagos slightly above the soil line and not in a hole or depression which retains water or is "swampy". Sagos much prefer to be on the dry than the wet side. WATER AND FERTILIZER needs are related to the amount of light available. Unlike most plants which can wilt when dry or turn yellow from lack of fertilizer, Cycads give little indication of when to water or feed. Generally, they should be treated as a cactus and watered when almost dry.
WATERING: If grown in a container, allow the soil to become almost dry, then water thoroughly slowly adding water around the top of the soil. If the plant is receiving morning or afternoon sun or temperatures are warm, Sagos may need to be watered at least weekly. Plants grown in low light or cool temperatures may need water every few weeks or so. We generally water a plant twice. The first time wets the soil, the second watering a few minutes later soaks the soil. If planted in the landscape, water when dry, but do not keep continuously wet. Established plants can easily survive drought conditions.
FERTILIZER is generally applied during spring and late summer. Sagos growing in partial sun should receive an average rate as listed on the container, those in low light should receive only 1/4 rate. Too little plant food is far better than too much. If organic or slow release fertilizer is used, do not allow any to fall into the plant crown which is protecting the formation of future leaves.
OLD LEAVES MAY TURN YELLOW from over watering or too much fertilizer.
NEW LEAVES MAY TURN YELLOW from excess fertilizer or poor soil conditions.
Note: Once leaves turn yellow or brown, they should be removed from the plant.
INSECTS are limited to scale (can form a white or gray crust) or occasional attacks of mealy bugs. Use an insecticidal soap or a product labeled for scale. In all cases, use caution and follow the directions on the container. Always water a plant before treatment or spraying during the coolest part of the day or morning. The combination of heat, direct sun, and insecticide can burn leaves. If your Sago seems to have an insect or fungus on the leaves, remove one or two and take them to your nearest Garden Center for identification and recommended treatment. :cool:

i know that i have one in my back yard,well i think i do it looks the same except about 10x the size and in the ground,wish that i could get you a pic but my digtal cam got droped on the ground..
oh wait you say it a house plant well it sure does look the same..

hey d...son, is the outside of the plant hard pointy + sharp. very solid ? the 1shown here, had a baby attached to its hip a few years bac, unfortunately it did not survive.

Sago's are cool plants. I have one that is almost 30 years old. The older they get, the cooler they get. Just like me...hehe

Each year, the plant will grow another "set" of crown leafs. You trim off the previous years growth as the new comes in. Careful trimming for consistency in shape is most important with sago's. I use a very sharp pruning shear. The base of the stalks are very fibrous and pretty tough. You can slice yourself very easily with these stalks. Be careful.

A handful of manganese sprinkled around the root zone on the surface of the ground will keep them real healthy if you give it some half strength Miracle Grow via watering about four times a year.

Mine has a leaf span of about 10 feet in diameter now and has spawned about 12 babies this past year. As soon as the side growth clones are large enough to clip, I'll have 12 more sago's.

Good luck with yours. You'll want to put it into a nice big decorative container at least 5 gallons in size. They don't like to be transplanted. It's better to give it a nice large beautiful home to live in for the rest of it's life. The container and the plant become "fixtures" in your life.

I know families here that have plants that are more than 100 years old. Those plants are priceless. Four generations of family have had photos taken next to that plant and it's beautiful planter. Pretty cool.

more xcellent info, tks stoney bud. weathers starting to cool at nites now - i will spray the plant (or not) for bugs + bring it back indoors. tks again to everyone. i have another (2) plants that i don't no what they r. i will take pics + post a new thread under "do u no my name 2".

Latest posts

Back