Dot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundancer245

Reaction score
any truck drivers around that could shed some light as to how the DOT does drug screens? is it a urine test? not sure and i may be getting a cdl this spring so need to figure out what sort of test they do and any advise on getting around it, wether or not its possible... thanks for any tips folks:D

sundancer245 said:
any truck drivers around that could shed some light as to how the DOT does drug screens? is it a urine test? not sure and i may be getting a cdl this spring so need to figure out what sort of test they do and any advise on getting around it, wether or not its possible... thanks for any tips folks:D

its just a simple UA. abstaine from the evil weed! :eek:
lots of methods here used by many. read em and weep :)

sundancer245,

As a recently retired truck driver, my advice to you is very simple, decide if you want to smoke pot or drive truck and do one or the other. We already have enough bad press against pot smokers and against truck drivers without giving the media a shot oat both at the same time.

Not only that but ONE failed UA will screw up both your chances of a driving career, but will follow you into other careers too, even ones without drug testing.

While there are many many different methods of passing UAs that many people use and swear by -- none of them are 100% effective 100% of the time for 100% of the people. Post accident drug testing is mandatory for serious accidents, even where it is obvious that the driver is NOT at fault. Post accident drug testing may include blood testing as well as UAs.

Man, right or wrong, it just isn't worth it to mix drug usage of any kind, including marijuana, and commercial driver's licenses. And driving while intoxicated, driving under the influence or driving while impaired are nearly always a killer of a decent commercial driving career even if committed off-duty in a POV or even before you get the job and/or CDL.

That is just my advice based on over 40 years of commercial driving and is from observation of those around me that tried to mix use of any drugs, including ones that aren't even tested for, and commercial driving. Sooner or later they had to choose one or the other and often times the choices were made for them and had some very serious consequences. Also, this advice is coming form one of the industry's best at circumventing or twisting the regs to allow what ever I wanted to do.

Take my word for it. Commercial driving, loading/unloading, servicing or repairing is NO place for anyone with a cloudy or impaired mind for what ever reason, including smoking/vaping weed or even just being fatigued!

I know there are a lot for drivers that smoke regularly and get away with it for years but eventually it catches up with them and you never know if you will be one that gets caught sooner or one that gets caught later until it is too late. And if GOD forbid you get caught through post-accident testing after a serious or fatal accident, your whole life is screwed.

Man, please don't mix them -- it just isn't worth it!

Good smoking, but not while driving -- especially commercially.

Latest posts

Back