dwc a couple problems.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkrocktoker

Reaction score
well,i started this plant from seed (bagseed) in a ph adjusted rockwool cube and as soon a roots apeared from the bottom i placed it in my dwc system.everything was going great until two days ago.now its limp looking not falling over but sad looking almost like its overwatered but how can that be i have 2 60gallon air pumps running into 1 bucket.ph is 5.6 and im using botanicare nutes 10ml/gallon,and a 70 watt hps light.air temp is
73-84 f

i dont know im stumped lets here your ideas.
thanx

oh,and ive got a little black **** on my roots now.can i add a little h202 to the rez?

what are the rezz temps? sounds like you have enough air but the black stuff on the roots says otherwise. is the rezz sealed so light cant get in it? have you been cleaning it weekly? do you have bubble strips or wands attached to the air tubing?

we really need some pics of your setup and more info...

seriously... flush the rezz out as best you can, gently wipe all the black off the roots (taking effected lower roots with it) and set into a well oxygenated, clean rezz with a light dose of nutes and a rezz temp around 70-75 and not any higher or lower.

she should come around but remember the rezz has to be well oxygenated and light tight and clean. it has to be cleaned frequently or root rot will form and other diseases. you got the ph in the zone if your testing with a calibrated ph meter, and you got the air temps and the right spectrum. i hope your ventilation is ok...

i dont know what the rez temp is but as soon there sun comes up ill check it.I change the water in rez every sunday.im also thinking about ducting an ac line into the closet.as far as light leaking into the rez,maybe a little through the hydroton.ive got 2 of those whisper60 aquarium air pumps both have 6'' airstones.i'd post some pics but the usb port on my pc is all f'd up.

tonight when i get home im going to clean and change the rez and make a batch of fresh nutes whith with 3% h202 but how much per gallon.

how long do your temps stay in the 80's? If your rez gets too warm then it doesn't matter how much air you are pumping into the buckets, the actual water can not hold much dissolved O2.

If you are growing using DWC, you need to totally control the temps. You never want your rez temps above 80F, with DWC because of 2 very distinct reasons.

1) Dissolved Oxygen - As the temps rise the DO drastically drops, you need to keep your rez temps at around 70F. Failing to do this will will sufficate your roots. It will first look as though your plants are being overwatered and then they will quickly die.

2) Root rot and other pathegens, thrive above 80F. This is when the spores will germinate in your rez and the bad bugs will very quickly take over and rot your roots. Which it sounds like you are in the beginning stages of.

What do your roots smell like? They should smell like alphalfa sprouts, if they smell of any thing other then this, then rot is starting to set in.

You must Lower your temps, so that they never get above 80, it is alright for other growing methods but not for DWC.

Also you must get some food grade h2o2 at 3% as this will do 2 things, it will oxygenate the roots but it will also kill all bactaria

lyfr said:
h202 sounds like a good place too start. i add 5ml of the strong stuff from the hydro store to my 20 gal res every other day. reg walmrt stuff should be mixed at 1 tsp per gal. are the little black spots crawling? i would also flush and do a complete res change.
food grade(35%) is what i use at 1tsp(5ml) in 20 gal res every other day. walmart grade(3%) at 1tsp per gal.

i just wanna say im new to this forum and i gatta say it.
YOU GUYS ROCK!!!. ive got more responses and useful info in 1 day as compared to other growing forums. and once again thanx.
when i get home tonight ill let you fellas know about those rez temps and im gonna get my grow area air coditioned see if i can get ambient room temps to consistanly be 73ish degrees.

thanx
punk rock and roll

Macho Man said:
Foodgrade Peroxide is 35 % ------ 3% is the regular bottle found in a pharmacy.. Definitely Not the same thing!!! LOL

I think that you should go back and check your hydro store. Food grade is about the purity of the hydrogen peroxide not about the percentage. Food grade h202 comes in many different percentages, including 3%, 17% and 35%.

Either way the biggest issue is the temps, without controlling them the H2o2 is just a bandaid, that never actually deals with the problem.

I hardly ever use h2o2 unless I run into problems because it KILLS all bactaria and micro organizims, including beneficals. That is the reason that I choose 3% foodgrade from my hydro store.

Another thing to consider is the addition of beneficals to fight off the pathegens, I use voodoo juice and then feed them with carbo-load. This is something that you would want to do after the use of H2O2.

i did not realize food grade came in different %, thanks massproducer. i think i learn somethin everytime i bounce around here.

well i changed the rez and ran ac into the room.my res temps were about 76 and room temp was 85. now i gotem down to 74 and 80 with lights on.
it has shown improvment over night, the older leaves are still droopy but the new growth appears to be heathy. im still keeping the lamp about 7'' away from the top.

thanx

Latest posts

Back