dwc ph problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

me myyself and I

The One Hitter Critter
Reaction score
hi all :) I have a ph problem. Im using a 5 gallon bucket and an air pump with an air stone. 600watt hps, fox farm nutes, and im about 2 weeks into veg from a clone.
I dial my ph in to about 5.6 and then it starts to climb back up and I find myself having to ad ph down every morning. I used to use a submergable pump in a bucket and never had this issue. I like this way with the air and stones but im becoming bummed out with it, and about to switch back to a pump. I have read many other ph issue's but I dont seem to find any dwc ph issue's like mine. it must have something to do with the water not being circulated constanly like when I used a pump maybe? anyone have any suggestions?

me myyself and I said:
hi all :) I have a ph problem. Im using a 5 gallon bucket and an air pump with an air stone. 600watt hps, fox farm nutes, and im about 2 weeks into veg from a clone.
I dial my ph in to about 5.6 and then it starts to climb back up and I find myself having to ad ph down every morning. I used to use a submergable pump in a bucket and never had this issue. I like this way with the air and stones but im becoming bummed out with it, and about to switch back to a pump. I have read many other ph issue's but I dont seem to find any dwc ph's likse mine. anyone have any suggestions?

How big are the plants and whats the PPM of your nutes?

the plants are about a little over a foot tall and pretty bushy. the ppm is at about 1000

it must have something to do with the water not being circulated constanly like when I used a pump maybe

I run my air stone 24/7.

When mixing nutes I mix in large rez, let aerate for 24 hours. Then ph and adjust. Then aerate for another 24 hours, seems to decrease the ph swings.

I can be a calcium buildup.. Here in my place the water is very full of calcium, and it tends to build up everywhere.. I actually use Limestone remover as my PH down, and it works like a charm.. I adjust the PH every 3-4 days

I have really high calicium here also. it builds up in our hot water tank and I have to flush it once every year. where do I get limestone remover?

Dont bother with ppms numbers, those numbers mean nothing, if your ph is drifting fast you need more nutes in your rez, you should not have to touch the ph with a properly feed plant.
Bring the nutes up until you have a slight lime green tip on the tips of your leaves then leave it alone, your plants are then feed to the max and your ph should remain stable at all times. I to use FF and I never touch my ph.

I am also dealing with this problem. My plants are 2 weeks in the DWC and have come out of a aerocloner. I am swinging from 8 to 5.6 a day its getting real old. Any ideas would be great. Ill try more Nuts.

thanks guys Ill give it a try. what I dont get it is why I dont have this problem using submergable pumps? I think it must have to do with the water being circulated.

me myyself and I said:
thanks guys Ill give it a try. what I dont get it is why I dont have this problem using submergable pumps? I think it must have to do with the water being circulated.

Your air stones should circulate the water and put more dissolved oxygen in the rez then just circulating water with a pump.

captain1 said:
I am also dealing with this problem. My plants are 2 weeks in the DWC and have come out of a aerocloner. I am swinging from 8 to 5.6 a day its getting real old. Any ideas would be great. Ill try more Nuts.

More nutes lowers PH, less will raise it if the plant is feeding.

I have never heard of adjusting the ph with nutes. I would be burning my plants up if I did that or at least nute lockout. I know that more nutes lowers the ph but the amount of nutes to lower the ph and maintain it would burn my plants up. Goood luck if you try this.

Growdude said:
More nutes lowers PH, less will raise it if the plant is feeding.

Pepper and GD are right on dude.....

I had the exact prob you are having..I eased my nutes up slowly (200 PPMs every few days) watching the plants carefully for signs of stress...

In the end I raised my nutes by about 600 total.....the plants shot up in growth and the pH stabilized

happy holidays!

i dont always use this strategy Duck, as GD explains, but, once in awhile i've had situations that called for it.(lowering ph with nutes). it's tricky, and has to be felt out a bit, but does have it's advantages sometimes...hard to explain this one...

on ph doing the big swing... i've found that some labels are stronger than others, and, some so weak, thier almost useless. stick with gh up, and down, and you can't go wrong. period...

Latest posts

Back