Female Ratio Increasing Tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

akirahz

I think we need a "female ratio increasing tips" thread so here goes, simply state what you know to be fact about increasing the liklyhood or at least bettering your chances of female plants.

Here are some that i know of off the bat.

1. Keep Temps low, tween 75f-80ishF
2. Keep pH correct (7.0 for soil, 5.8 for hydro, or your preference)
3. Use pH balanced water
4. Use the correct spectrum of light (4100-6500 for vegging, 2700-3000 for flowering)

and im sure theres alot more, so chime in! ;) Perhaps someone knows about other factors, like humidity level, nutrients, soil drainage and much more.

Feminized seeds!

Sorry, had to do it :$

Just because the seeds are feminized doesn't mean you get more females. From what I've read and seen, they tend to herm more than anything else. Don't like my women with balls, :holysheep: ....:spit:

Well, it means you do get more, otherwise there wouldnt be a market for fem seeds :eek: Although i know what you mean, they can be shemale's too :eek:

JeSus said:
Feminized seeds!

Sorry, had to do it :$

I'm not sure how many times this has to be said but, just because it is "feminized" does not mean the plant is going to be a female. It just means it is more inclined to be female. If feminized meant that you had a 100% shot at a female why would people waste their money on other seeds that are at less than 100%?

I would hope that by now people would learn this or at least read through some of the already established feminized threads we have floating around here.

To stay on topic. The name of the game is low stress. The less stress the better chance of a female plain and simple.

:yeahthat: Plus no fertilizers at all, no prefertilized soil at all, until the first leaves (cotyledons(?)) have started to fall off...

Peace...j.b.

temp. inversion

have light time temps lower then night.
lights on 65deg, lights off 75deg.

what the heck r all these "wive's tales" that r here so far...
people... anyone who grows... KNOWS for a fact... that if you want 100% assurance that your plants will turn out to be female, is to plant your bean ONLY on a full moon with only one leg touching the ground, and the seed has to be planted with the hand that is the same side as the foot touching the ground... man... where the heck u people come up with your crazy ideas???

:bump:

lol... for the lowdown, on what is THOUGHT to be the latest intel... ask Mutt. I've read a thread by him giving the skinny on "leaning towards" females. ask him. myself... if it's a female - female, male - male... there rn't any "transvestite" MJ plants.

hey... I've heard another method before... soak your seeds in chlorine bleach for 48 hrs before planting... give that a try... :rolleyes:

MUCH later....

This link essentially says that if you stress the plant trying to force it to be female, you have a high chance of causing it to turn hermy. Read the whole page. Good stuff.

From Wikipedia
Environmental sex determination is known to occur in a variety of species.[28] Many researchers have suggested that sex in Cannabis is determined or strongly influenced by environmental factors.[15] Ainsworth reviews that treatment with auxin and ethylene have feminizing effects, and that treatment with cytokinins and gibberellins have masculinizing effects.[10] It has been reported that sex can be reversed in Cannabis using chemical treatment.[29] A PCR-based method for the detection of female-associated DNA polymorphisms by genotyping has been developed.[30]

I used this as a Google search term- marijuana sex determined by environment or genetics and came up with some great info. Enjoy.
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/#_note-PCR

StonedCold said:
Just because the seeds are feminized doesn't mean you get more females. From what I've read and seen, they tend to herm more than anything else. Don't like my women with balls, :holysheep: ....:spit:
Hehehehehehehe, and especially sheep...

another 1 is spraying your plants with fish emulsion when they get there 3rd set of leaves thought id put that in

Puff- The Magic Dragon said:
Use clones?

yes, Puff... clones r the best route to go... that's how I do it. NEVER had a male in over 20 years by cloning.;)

Could we rename this thread to something like, myths and old wives tales.

I think that there are a lot of people that will say that feminized seeds will go hermie on you, most of these people though are just passing on already passed on information without having even tried feminized seeds.

Get this though guys, you can still get hermies in regular seeds too, in fact, i've had more hermies in regular seeds than i have in fem seeds.

Reg seeds todate i stand at around 6 hermies, fem seeds is 0.

Maybe if you go somewhere that sells em cheap and they were created under poor conditions. Get the good stuff and I think its different.

the widowmaker said:
Could we rename this thread to something like, myths and old wives tales.

I think that there are a lot of people that will say that feminized seeds will go hermie on you, most of these people though are just passing on already passed on information without having even tried feminized seeds.

Get this though guys, you can still get hermies in regular seeds too, in fact, i've had more hermies in regular seeds than i have in fem seeds.

Reg seeds todate i stand at around 6 hermies, fem seeds is 0.

Maybe if you go somewhere that sells em cheap and they were created under poor conditions. Get the good stuff and I think its different.

i agree with you buddy.. this is my first time im triying fem seeds and i think its gonna be fine, because i bought them from one of the most popular and known seeds company in Amsterdam ,its called ( Pardise seeds) http://www.paradise-seeds.com/index.php?language=en&pageid=products

i think cheap fem seeds will have problems, but if you bought them from the right plase its gonna be perfict.. my really early grow i used regular seeds and what do i get ALL MALES.. so now im trying something else to avoid that problem...

pussum said:
I'm not sure how many times this has to be said but, just because it is "feminized" does not mean the plant is going to be a female. It just means it is more inclined to be female. If feminized meant that you had a 100% shot at a female why would people waste their money on other seeds that are at less than 100%?

I would hope that by now people would learn this or at least read through some of the already established feminized threads we have floating around here.

To stay on topic. The name of the game is low stress. The less stress the better chance of a female plain and simple.

Whoah, calm down there sonny!
1. It was a JOKE, sarcasm...
2. The topic title is Female Ratio Increasing Tips, key words being 'Ratio Increasing'

And who's to say i havent read the topics floating around, i indeed have, and i still stick to the fact Fem seeds SHOULD produce more females than a pack of normal seeds.

I just figured plant a bunch, and hope for the best. keep it simple. so far ive planted four seeds, all have been female...ITS THE LUCK OF THE DRAW from what i gather. Ive been using pre fertilized soil, and i have yet to have regrets.

from all the fem seeds i've ever tried, i've only ever had females, nothing else.

Latest posts

Back