fire hazard?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i had a 400hps and 3 tube floros and 4- 23 cfls all on a timer plug. + 2 fans. Never once had to flip the breaker. Firehazard. doubt it

I seriously doubt that will present a problem. It will depend on the length and quality of the extension cord in this case, but I think even a cheap $1.99 6' cord would be fine.

The potential for fire, (other than arcing, which is a different topic) is caused by running too much current (amps) through a device- whether it be a wall receptacle, power strip or extension cord. Current causes heat, heat makes fires.

So, how to determine if you are running too much current? Simple math.

Amps = Watts/Volts

Most devices will tell you their maximum current rating.

In your case, you have a 125w fluoro which is ~ 1amp.
88w of cfl which is ~2/3 amp.
and your fan, lets say it's 600w, that would be 5 amps.

You are at around 7 amps, and that's not going to melt anything with 120vac pushing it. You need to figure out how many watts or amps that fan is using to be sure, but I think you get the idea.

Good luck! Have fun!

I just realized that I'm assuming you are in North America...if you are in Europe, cut those amp figures in half.

most powerstrips now days have safety feature anyways that will prevent this

no i doubt that would be a fire hazzard i have 2 250 watt hps's and one 150 watt hps and a fan hooked up to a strip and its been fine for years :)

Latest posts

Back