Found photo tron2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizzard1259

Reaction score
Want to set up this new toy. Not real sure what would be best way. Never used one before.

What do I use for dirt and how do I set it up in this unit?:hubba:

The phototrons really never worked very well for growing. The lights were marginal (at best) and they wanted you to use all their products--growing medium, nutes, etc. They would probably make a good cloner and would probably work for vegetative growth.

papabeach1 said:
tron? dude what setup ya got? sound new to me

It is old unit found at garage sale. Don't know how to do any thing with. Would like to get it up and going,want some greenage underatand...

i have nothing useful to add

i thought you had a photo from the new movie

Tron 2.0

yes this is an actual movie that they are making :D

i have a phototron and they suck for growing pot....use it to clone in but not to grow full term......

I would rather to use smaller bubbleponic similiar to massprod. s bubble cloner for cloning, I love it.. oxygen and water that it.. it works everytime!!..

anyone have pic of that tron?

Hey Wizard, I was given a tron a few months back. The ballast was bad so I removed it from inside and converted to a small hydroponic system. Placing the ballast on the outside helped keep the heat a bit lower. I also added a few cfl's to the top plug (going to add a 150 watt hps next try).

I just finished my first grow in it. While I have to agree with a lot of what has been said about the tron, there are some good points. If you are not needing high yields they are ok. They have a very low operating cost compared to other ways of growing, but again the yield is lower.

I am in a re-veg state right now and will pull a few clones and start over. I learned a lot the first grow and will make a few changes and try again. The tron is fun, and a great way to get started. If you need more or want to go farther into the growing hobby, you can always do something else next grow.

I had a closet set up for some time but was always fighting heat problems using a 400 watt HPS, the temps would always get over 100 while the lights were on. Fans didn't help much as the room temps were also very high. The tron actually beat the closet setup for me. I have another room I may try this year where I can vent to the outside and pull cool air from an air conditioned room. For now the tron is exactly what I needed.

Glad to hear some one had one and used it. Have heard nothing but bad things about this Tron so far. Could you tell me how to set up the inside.Medium is used for dirt and how is the water system set up? This thing had no instructions with it.Need a little nudge and hint to get started. Have some seeda and the will and place to put it.

The growing medium they want you to use along with the nutes can be found on their web site google pyroponics. They are expensive.

Truthfully, you will be better off to try a couple test grows using bagseed and your own soil / nutes or convert to hydro. Add some cfl's and experiment.

Again, the yield will not be that great if you are looking for a lot of medicine, but it is a lot of fun to watch these things grow in the Tron.

Thanks for the Tip. I was gonna try potting soil with miracle grow in it?

wizzard1259 said:
Want to set up this new toy. Not real sure what would be best way. Never used one before.

What do I use for dirt and how do I set it up in this unit?

I have an older model 'tron as well (I think it's a phototron 2). Replacement bulbs can be had at Lowes. Make sure you get the same model number. Sylvania makes them.

I use 2 150 watt cfl's in the top socket as well. AND I went ahead and bought the automatic waterer on the 'tron site. (Love it).

Start your seeds with the paper towel procedure The cheapest way is get yourself some rubbermaid Takealongs (3 pack, abouta $1). Put a moist papertowel in the bottom. lay your seeds in, put a couple of paper towels on top, seal in and stick in the dresser or closet. Check it every day or so. When the seeds sprout, prep your 'tron.

Fill that bottom tray in your tron with soil. I use worm casings and black cow potting soil (Wally World). Some people use Miracle grow, it's up to you. You might want to take a piece of pvc and cut it at an angle on the end. Bury this point end down in your soil with the open end sticking out. You'll drop a chopstick or something in it to use as a "dipstick" to check your water level as you are growing.

Okay, seeds. Get those sprouted seeds into some jiffy peats. I put the peats in a plastic cup and set them on top of the soil in the tron. You can also fill the cups with soil and start your sprouts in there as well, I just find the peats easier to handle.

When the sprouts have at least 3 distinct nodes you can transplant them into the soil in your 'tron. Plant the seedlings up to the bottom node. I currently have 5 plants in the same tron. I personally wouldn't go any higher than that. (After this grow, I'm going to try 1 plant and LST it in the 'tron).

You know those 3 sliding panels on your 'tron? heat will draw air in thru the bottom and send it out thru the top. From time to time you will want to trim leaves that grow to close to the u shaped lights in your tron, and untangle plants, etc, etc, etc.

The advantage I've found with my 'tron is light from all angles in an enclosed system that is small and easy to hide. Personal taste I guess.

Latest posts

Back