from closet to legit room help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

707NewGenGrower

Reaction score
so im upgrading growing space from 2' by 8' by 7' closet to a 10' by 10' by 10' room.
can i run 2 4'' vortex fans for this size of room for intake and exhaust? or do i need 6''?

IMO, even 2 6" fans will not be enough. How many and what wattage lights are you planning on using? I use a 6" Vortex for a space that is under 20 sq ft., plus a couple of bathroom type exhaust fans.

Why not partition the room off into a veg area and then a flower area? 100 sqr feet is gonna need a lot of light and ventilation....jmo

i was using 1 600 and one 400 hps in closet with with one 4'' with the temps steady at 78 and 40 humid
i was thinking bout doing 1 1000 watt and one 600 watt hps
trying to minimize the amount of things i will have to buy for new room but i want to do it right so ill buy em if i need to
i have some pretty strong house fans too
the one of the hoods i have is air cooled with 4'' duct that i was planning on hooking up to exhaust and hooking that up to 1000 ballast to suck all that heat out

LOL, no where near enough light, my friend! I am running 2800w right now in my 5'x9' room and feel I could add more if only the circuit could handle it!

10 x 10 x10 =1000 sq.ft.
you want at least 3000 lumens per sq ft. for veg and 5k for flower.
1000 x 3000 = 3000000 lumens
1000 x 5000 = 5000000 lumens

thats allot of lumens u need bro!

i know there could always be more but as i said im trying to minimize the amount of equip i have to buy
i already have both 1000 and 600 and only growing 8 by 8 feet of green im leaving foot all around so i can move around easy
whole room is 10 by 10 not growing space
and im not going more light because im asking if i can run 2 4'' fans or atleast 1 4'' and 6'' to keep temps around 77

One 1000W and 1 600w is only good for about 45 sq ft--less than 1/2 of what you are planning. And this is a minimum. I am currently running a 1000W and a 600w in a space that is 19.5 sq ft. Whether you are using an 8 x8 space or the entire 10 x 10 space is immaterial--the light will disburse throughout the entire space. You will have less than 2500 lumens per sq ft. This is going to result in poor yields and probably light airy buds.

I also think that you should divide your space into multiple rooms--a vegging and a flowering space or a mother/clone, vegging, and flowering space.

What it is going to take to keep your space cool will depend in a large part on the ambient temps of the incoming air and whether your lights are air cooled.

EsC420PoT said:
10 x 10 x10 =1000 sq.ft.
you want at least 3000 lumens per sq ft. for veg and 5k for flower.
1000 x 3000 = 3000000 lumens
1000 x 5000 = 5000000 lumens

thats allot of lumens u need bro!

What?

10x10x10 is 1000 cubic feet.

He needs at least 500k lumen for his 100 sq. ft of growing area. Four 1kw HPS for flowering would be nice. . .

I use a single 1kw HPS and it covers (6x4) 24 sq ft well enough.

Don't skimp on this, light will be one of the most important elements in your grow! Either section off or buy more light, your yield will be your reward!!

ok i dont want to skimp, what kind of lights should i put in there? im working with a garage and room build inside of garage, im using rest of garage as mother/clones. i have one 4'' vortex fan, one 1000 watt hps, one 600 hps
what else do i need? how many plants? im going with 5 gal soilless soil

707NewGenGrower said:
ok i dont want to skimp, what kind of lights should i put in there? im working with a garage and room build inside of garage, im using rest of garage as mother/clones. i have one 4'' vortex fan, one 1000 watt hps, one 600 hps
what else do i need? how many plants? im going with 5 gal soilless soil

For 100 sq ft and 1000 cu ft you will need at least the following:

2 more 1kw HPS lights.
2 or 3 12" vortex fans.
All of he ducting/fittings/adapters for the air.
2 16" oscillating fans would be nice.
I would also install a 100a sub-panel with new breakers, wires, outlets, timers. You are gonna be pushing the limits of a typical residential electrical engineering.
Air conditioning??? Carbon filters???

All that and all you have is an empty grow room. If I was gonna commit to that initial outlay it would have to be a business decision. . .lol

Yes, this is about right! Think of the expense first, then decide what is the best approach...sectioning off or going large!!!

I am working in a 5'x9' room, with 1000w more, you could be very happy with the lighting of such a room, I grow 8 huge gals in 10gal pots in this room!

what if i use a circular light mover? anyone have any experience with these? buddy told me today i could power 8 by 8 space with 2 1000 watt lights on 2 arm circular mover?

I don't think there is any substitute for adequate light. While a light mover spreads the light, 1/2 of your space is inadequately lit 1/2 of the time. My buddy uses a light mover and IMO his bud density suffers because of it. I recommend either getting enough light to provide 5000 lumens per sq ft or making your space smaller. You are not going to get more bud from a larger poorly illuminated space.

THG is on a roll, good post!!! :)

Light is key as is soil (if you go this route), ventilation, nutes.....gotta fork out the dough to make the buds grow! Just keep in mind this stuff sells for upwards of $500 an ounce....the money you save by growing your own good bud is a great reward, as is the great taste and high!!!

THG always hits my threads with the best info thanks =]
and thank you to everyone else for their input
roddy.. if i lived in michigan and could sell 500+ i would die..
where i live EVERYONE and their momma grows, amazing indoor goes for 160 oz, 2500 lbs.. even the clubs round here wont take anything more than 27 and they pay after they sell it.. plus pg+e knows what we are all doing so electric rates are up 30%.. 2 years ago i was taking my same stuff to bay area for 32 hands down..
so i think the final decision is 8 by 8 green covered by 4 600's with 8'' exhaust and 6'' intake
i was thinking 9 plants per light, 36 total. what you guys think?

Latest posts

Back