generators??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3rdbase

trying to do a little off the grid.....was wondering does anybody know of a good quite generator with say 3000 watts...or more ....and has anyone used a generator with good success ...i figured it would cost about 100$ a month in gas........i know iknow why not just pay an electric bill cuz i dont want to be on the grid........ya know ive also looked into solar very complicated and not cheap....will invest in the future..;)

wow its gonna look more like a grow op with a generator running for 12 hrs each day.

can we get someone to put a common sense button on this board

3rdbase said:
trying to do a little off the grid.....was wondering does anybody know of a good quite generator with say 3000 watts...or more ....and has anyone used a generator with good success ...i figured it would cost about 100$ a month in gas........i know iknow why not just pay an electric bill cuz i dont want to be on the grid........ya know ive also looked into solar very complicated and not cheap....will invest in the future..;)

No one uses a generator with good success--they are noisy, draw attention to your place, and are VERY expensive to operate. You would need a generator with a peak output of about 5000W to run 3000W adequately. There is no way that you can run a generator of this size for $100 a month--I would also anticipate about $500 a month in gasoline costs. I don't know where you live, but a generator running when there is electrical power available will create a lot of suspicion.

There is really no valid reason to want to be "off the grid" if you are only running 3000W. Simply put, the power company does not care how much power you use (within reason of course) as long as you pay your bill on time and do not steal power.

:yeahthat: If the thanks button made problems. A common sense button would fry the server.

:confused2: does common sense even exist any more?

If anyone does want to run a generator, do NOT use Hondas or other high-speed gennys that cause LOTS of noise and drink petrol.
Use a slow speed Lister type single-cylinder diesel engine coupled to a generator unit. Listers with a decent silencer can't be heard very far away, they produce a slow 'thump . . . thump' sound.

thanks ... ive done research on many of them and the new inverter gens...are as quite as a conversation or vacume,,,hemp ur right it would take 5000 to run 3000...if you figure a 1.5 gallon tank will run 12 hours @ half load will give you 2500 watts off the grid at say 3.00$ a gallon would be like 135 dollars in gas a month....i dont know were you get the 500$ a month

the reason ..... why im asking is because i live with other people.... we all use power witch is hard on the pge tiered system....thats why im trying to find an alternative way of powering my lights..i wish solar was cheaper it would be better for the environment .

PGE "pacific gas & electric" charges for power on a tiered system. for example, if you dont use much power, you will be charged at $0.07 per kwh. If you use lots, you get charged $0.15 per kwh and so on. when you are in the highest rate tier it gets expensive very fast.

but still i dont think it would be much cheaper to run a generator than suck it up and pay the man. and solar is still super expensive (the panels on my house produce 5 kw/hr at peak production in the summertime, most of the time is nowhere near 5kw). initial cost, about $40,000. so solar power could supplement a grow but it wont cover all of it.

If this is for a commercial enterprise I think the Feds gives grants for windmills or at least they did.

funny....at least someone understands the pge system.....dr pyro cant get it through his thick skull blasting me on other threads........saying its impossible to cost ..x amount of dollars i wonder about him and his common sense he speaks on matters he has no reference to.......dude please stop getting on every thread i ask a ? about discrediting the poster......ur starting to sound very childish sir...and irritating..

you are funny think about this with alittle common sense do you think 1.5 gal gas is really gonna last 12 hrs come on now you really cant be serious are you?

also your saying your being charged 33 cents a kwh ?????

3rdbase said:
thanks ... ive done research on many of them and the new inverter gens...are as quite as a conversation or vacume,,,hemp ur right it would take 5000 to run 3000...if you figure a 1.5 gallon tank will run 12 hours @ half load will give you 2500 watts off the grid at say 3.00$ a gallon would be like 135 dollars in gas a month....i dont know were you get the 500$ a month

Sorry, but there is no way that 1.5 gal is going to run a 5000W generator for 12 hours. Even the inverter type generators use approx 1/2 gal of gasoline per hour of run time at half load. A buck fifty an hour times 12 hours a day times 30 days a month is $540. And this is only 1/2 load for half the day. And they are really quite expensive to purchase.

A gal and a half will not last 12 hours
and yes, on the tiered system it starts at 11.5 and goes to 44 in my neck of the woods. Here's a little excerpt from mine...

Charges
09/05/2009 - 09/30/2009
Electric Charges $221.83
Baseline Quantity 215.80000 Kwh
Baseline Usage 215.80000 Kwh @ $0.11531
101-130% of Baseline 64.74000 Kwh @ $0.13109
131-200% of Baseline 151.06000 Kwh @ $0.25974
201-300% of Baseline 215.80000 Kwh @ $0.37866
Over 300% of Baseline 153.08485 Kwh @ $0.44098

Latest posts

Back