gettin paranoid!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivor

spliffy
Reaction score
my grow box is at back of garage where 2 neighbours gardens are in contact with it and was blowing air out towards them and other day got lots of strong smells which i need to sort before door goes in round me.made a diy carbon filter earlier but dont think its goin to work.used a unused sewer pipe 220mm diameter with a 7" desk fan forcing air up through it with a flower pot on top filled with carbon held in by tights.cant feel any air coming through and was wondering if i needed a more powerful fan or does the air seep through it without u really seeing it.dont no as never seen 1 in operation, all help appreciated

How big is the garage? or grow area?
HTG Supply has a 6" inline fan rated at 434 cfm WITH carbon filter included, that will scrub and clean the air i think, depending how large the area is.
It cost $199.00. Here is a way to calculate the dimensions of area vs. the fan and charcoal unit needed, it helped me t decide which i'm gonna buy.

Hope this helps..........Good Luck.....

Effective treatment requires the exchange of air in the growing area in a period of 5 minutes. Compute your requirements by multiplying the width times the length times the height of your growing area to obtain the total cubic feet. Divide this number by 5 to determine the proper filter size needed.

For example, if your growing area is 8 feet long by 8 feet wide by 8 feet tall, it contains a total of 512 cubic feet. To treat this area in five minutes, you would need to use a fan with a CFM (cubic feet per minute) rating of approximately 102. The GrowBright fan that comes with this system is rated at 424 cfm so this combo is good for any small to medium sized grow room! It's always better to have a little more filtering than a little less for the most effective results.

You should feel some air comeing out and in....at leatst thats the way mine air. If you are useing an axial fan.....they suck, sorry.....They are able to flow a large amount of air in some cases, but they just dont have the static presure they need to pull air throw a carbon filter. They do work really good as intake fans.

does a diy effort not goin to work as by the reading and research ive done enough people seem to be happy with their diy.how do i find out the cfl on my 7" desk fan?

7" desk fan does not have enough,a good in-line fan is what you need.The dyi ona bucket will keep your garage smellin like ona.I believe the 7" desk fan can be used with little modification!

you need 200-400fcm like prefiously stated. I would suggest a good inline can fan.

And sometimes with the ONA it will just smell like a skunk died in a lemon grove or pine tree and not really remove the odor. I got one for this grow that smells like laundry soap. I haven't had to use it, thank god, no one would believe that I was doing that much laundry.

Laundry smell over bud smell all day every day.There really is no way to 100% scrub the smell clean.Or if there is let us in on it!Are you using crystals or gel?Are we talkin bout the same ona?It alwayz works,bomb!

I would still use it, but it does make it seem like you are trying to hide something. And you can smell a little something else (skunk). Mine stunk up the whole house though. I use liquid ONA with soil moist crystals. In the 5 gal bucket with the fan.

Hopefully I won't have to use it this year, but if I do then I'll try that. Because skunk in a pine tree doesn't scream inconspicuous.

mrkingford said:
How big is the garage? or grow area?
HTG Supply has a 6" inline fan rated at 434 cfm WITH carbon filter included, that will scrub and clean the air i think, depending how large the area is.
It cost $199.00. Here is a way to calculate the dimensions of area vs. the fan and charcoal unit needed, it helped me t decide which i'm gonna buy.

Hope this helps..........Good Luck.....

Effective treatment requires the exchange of air in the growing area in a period of 5 minutes. Compute your requirements by multiplying the width times the length times the height of your growing area to obtain the total cubic feet. Divide this number by 5 to determine the proper filter size needed.

For example, if your growing area is 8 feet long by 8 feet wide by 8 feet tall, it contains a total of 512 cubic feet. To treat this area in five minutes, you would need to use a fan with a CFM (cubic feet per minute) rating of approximately 102. The GrowBright fan that comes with this system is rated at 424 cfm so this combo is good for any small to medium sized grow room! It's always better to have a little more filtering than a little less for the most effective results.

MR KINGSFORD--what does HTG stand for?
Lass

I think some of the wisest money I've spent on this hobby is on the Eclipse 630cfm inline fan and 40 lb. carbon filter I use for my closet grow. My hydro store was out of the smaller filter when I went to buy one and they made me a good deal on the 40 lb. It seemed like it was overkill at the time but I've never had this kind of peace of mind while doing this hobby before I set up my filter and ventilation. Before things would always start to get a bit too "fruity skunky" about 5 weeks into each bloom... The best thing is people come over to visit and there's never been one mention of odor until I fire one up! ;)

LassChance said:
MR KINGSFORD--what does HTG stand for?
Lass

I'll jump in here... "High Tech Garden" Supply

hXXp://www.htgsupply.com/

just to clarify a few things using 7" desk fan will i need an extractor fan ie.bathroom/kitchen fan and carbon im using is from pet shop is this ok? and how much of this carbon would i need in bucket for filter if it is ok? room is bout 65 sq feet with 7" desk fan taking in air from outside! please help bout 1.5 week from end of growin then dryin and smell of that will be worse.goin to dry in dirrerent room but same set up:watchplant:

dirtyolsouth said:
I think some of the wisest money I've spent on this hobby is on the Eclipse 630cfm inline fan and 40 lb. carbon filter I use for my closet grow. My hydro store was out of the smaller filter when I went to buy one and they made me a good deal on the 40 lb. It seemed like it was overkill at the time but I've never had this kind of peace of mind while doing this hobby before I set up my filter and ventilation. Before things would always start to get a bit too "fruity skunky" about 5 weeks into each bloom... The best thing is people come over to visit and there's never been one mention of odor until I fire one up! ;)

just a note to update on the topic... Now that I'm mid week 5 and dankness is packing on I went up into my attic for the first time since flowering for an odor check. The only thing I got out of it was a sore knee (I bonked it going up there:fid:) and I can confirm that it sure was hot up there with outside temps in the upper 80's and high humidity... Odor? None!:yay: Carbon filters are THE BOMB!

Happy Growing!:cool:

ivor said:
just to clarify a few things using 7" desk fan will i need an extractor fan ie.bathroom/kitchen fan and carbon im using is from pet shop is this ok? and how much of this carbon would i need in bucket for filter if it is ok? room is bout 65 sq feet with 7" desk fan taking in air from outside! please help bout 1.5 week from end of growin then dryin and smell of that will be worse.goin to dry in dirrerent room but same set up:watchplant:

Exactly... but you need something more robust when it comes to inline duct fans than what they typically sell at Home Depot. Here's a pic of a good example... It's an Eclipse 630cfm fan and it's great as I use it in my closet grow to pull air through the filter and then my lights. If you are only going to put it on a filter you can probably get a lower rated and slightly less expensive fan in the 200-400cfm range.

Here's a link to info on the Eclipse:

You probably know the drill with the web address... Replace the XX with tt...

hXXp://www.hydrofarm.com/pb_detail.php?itemid=2093

I really don't understand what you're saying about filters and the pet shop and carbon in a bucket? :confused: It's making my head hurt... Check out these filters... I'd probably go with a Can Filter 33 or comparable sized filter from another maker. If you want this issue to go away I'd suggest going with what seems to be TOO much filter rather than the minimum one rated for your space. Manufacturer's recommendations usually seem pretty whacked...

Filter link:

hXXp://www.homeharvest.com/airpurificationcharcoalfilter.htm

Good Luck!:cool:

dirtyolsouth said:
Exactly... but you need something more robust when it comes to inline duct fans than what they typically sell at Home Depot. Here's a pic of a good example... It's an Eclipse 630cfm fan and it's great as I use it in my closet grow to pull air through the filter and then my lights. If you are only going to put it on a filter you can probably get a lower rated and slightly less expensive fan in the 200-400cfm range.

Here's a link to info on the Eclipse:

You probably know the drill with the web address... Replace the XX with tt...

hXXp://www.hydrofarm.com/pb_detail.php?itemid=2093

I really don't understand what you're saying about filters and the pet shop and carbon in a bucket? :confused: It's making my head hurt... Check out these filters... I'd probably go with a Can Filter 33 or comparable sized filter from another maker. If you want this issue to go away I'd suggest going with what seems to be TOO much filter rather than the minimum one rated for your space. Manufacturer's recommendations usually seem pretty whacked...

Filter link:

hXXp://www.homeharvest.com/airpurificationcharcoalfilter.htm

Good Luck!:cool:

thanks bro took ur advice and bought a inline fan and carbon filter hav it hooked up and runnin bout 2 hours seems to be workin great cant smell anything yet will no better l8r wen lights hav been on a while. cheers maybe get a bit of sleep now:D :watchplant:

ivor said:
thanks bro took ur advice and bought a inline fan and carbon filter hav it hooked up and runnin bout 2 hours seems to be workin great cant smell anything yet will no better l8r wen lights hav been on a while. cheers maybe get a bit of sleep now:D :watchplant:
VERY cool ivor... I know you'll feel very good about your investment. Odor is the achilles heel of the grower and it's amazing how well carbon filters work as long as you have one that is adequate for your space. Your girls aren't going to smell any more during a day cycle than they do now in their night cycle. If you don't smell anything now you've already cycled all the stinky air and lowered the concentrations of the odors in the air. As long as you keep your fan pulling air through the carbon the odors never get a chance to build up. As long as your air isn't given the chance to stagnate and build up odors you'll be in good shape. Are you cycling the air within your growroom or do you exhaust it elsewhere?

I remember how paranoid that I used to feel when things would get to week 5-6 of flowering. I'd come home from work and despite all the attempts at covering it up I'd still be hit with that unmistakable twang of weed when I stepped in the door. Now I don't even smell a thing in my bedroom unless I open the closet door and then it's only a hint of odor. Until recently I had to stick my face in the buds to smell anything. If I shut off the fan pulling air through the carbon filter within a minute the odor starts to build up. Give us an update when you get a chance...

Happy Growing!:cool:

Latest posts

Back