Good Alcohol Recovery Still ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

ROSTERMAN

Im in the market and looking for a 3-5 gallon recovery still setup .
I see Vevor stills on Amazon for good prices and was wondering if I should get the 2 or 3 piece setup
I believe one has a thump keg and one does not.
Also you now me always looking for Good bargains any blk Fri sales?
1637943927915.png

If I was wanting a still just for alcohol (non drinking) or if drinking, ever clear type output stainless is likely what you want. That said, I would go for one of the straight up and down rocket looking versions, with a really tall neck. You will get high proof out put on the first run.

I don't know about that Amazon rig. Google moonshine still and all sorts of places pop up. There are a couple of craft distilling forums with folks willing to help.

Is it graywolf here with the posts on distilling, recently he was experimenting with getting high proof on first run. ( Whiskey stills of copper may require a few runs to get to ever clear proof, I have only built from copper.) As his experiment grew taller, the first run proof gets higher. You will see stainless stills in this format on the market.

I know some boys that run one of these stainless "rockets" for everclear type out put and it runs good. Light up the still, tap a keg, get the whiskey and stuff some cones. They make some tasty apple pie. But, alas I can't drink.
I would read up on stills and check the sites.

Bubba

I don't like the small size of the cooling part, mine is about 4 ft long. I would be wary of something on the stovetop. Distilling is an outdoor or VERY well ventilated activity, for me any way.

Bubba

Thanks Bubba I am well aware of the ins and outs of distilling . I left out the part of why I wanted it.
I need a small still for everclear recovery for RSO making so I can reuse the everclear for more product. I would not be drinking the recovered alcohol.
I would never drink any alcohol that came out of a Chinese Product anymore , most likely slow poisoning from any of their products is their Master Plan. Call it like I see it.
I guess I will buy American Made if there are any.

Like most things, many roads, but all lead to Rome I guess. I would prefer to distill sugar wash instead of recovering. Even with alcohol I would recover in under vacuum to lower heat required and catch receptical in ice. For small labware, I've seen items that screw on your faucet, turn water on, water goes through T item, one end of of T had slight vacuum from rushing water. Water end of course goes through Liebig condenser. For this larger size, I don't think the faucet attachment would create enough vacuum. I'm sure Grey fox has solution.

Bubba

Like most things, many roads, but all lead to Rome I guess. I would prefer to distill sugar wash instead of recovering. Even with alcohol I would recover in under vacuum to lower heat required and catch receptical in ice. For small labware, I've seen items that screw on your faucet, turn water on, water goes through T item, one end of of T had slight vacuum from rushing water. Water end of course goes through Liebig condenser. For this larger size, I don't think the faucet attachment would create enough vacuum. I'm sure Grey fox has solution.

Bubba
I already know a guy that using his still monthly for recovery and the still I showed in 1st post is almost the exact same one he owns.
He recovers a very good amount and what ever is left in the kief is evaped off with fan. Then the oil is ready to cap.
I have vac pumps and glassware already it's more of a PIA to break it out use and clean .....................

I guess there's your answer, go for it. Nothing like having someone who has done it with that device before, much less risk.

Bubba

I guess there's your answer, go for it. Nothing like having someone who has done it with that device before, much less risk.

Bubba
Ha I was asking if anyone knew of any blk fri sales and the 2 or 3 piece units originally
But thks for the explaining .

Let us know which you do and how it works for you and everything. I just ran a small experiment. About a gram or so of the "dark hash" type of bubble and disolved it in some 93% isopropyl. Coffee filtered the result, shallow ceramic dish to evaporate.

The alcohol turned dark green. The filtered residue was more than I thought, oddly it looks like golden bubble now. When it is totally dry I will try a hit, but expect it to be null. Sure looks like golden bubble!

I guess if you want honey colored oil, I do, I guess start with golden. Now where is my golden....round 2

Bubba

If you are looking to recover ethanol used in extraction from plant material, you will want a refluxing still. A thumper will bump the proof up some, but you need high purity for subsequent extraction. I'm a firm believer in just building your own from stainless sanitary parts.

You can use either an air condenser or a water bath condenser. This set up has both, though I'm using the vapor to air condenser in this picture, it also shows a vapor to liquid/ice bath condenser on the cart.
5 foot reflux column.jpg

If you are looking to recover ethanol used in extraction from plant material, you will want a refluxing still. A thumper will bump the proof up some, but you need high purity for subsequent extraction. I'm a firm believer in just building your own from stainless sanitary parts.

You can use either an air condenser or a water bath condenser. This set up has both, though I'm using the vapor to air condenser in this picture, it also shows a vapor to liquid/ice bath condenser on the cart.
View attachment 282915
Whoooo That is beyond me now , I can hardly stand for more then a few mins in one spot before the bad goes bad .
Moving around a bit walking some not as bad.
Cool as always, I have some SS kegs I always wanted to build one from too

Whoooo That is beyond me now , I can hardly stand for more then a few mins in one spot before the bad goes bad .
Moving around a bit walking some not as bad.
Cool as always, I have some SS kegs I always wanted to build one from too
You don't need all the bells and whistles on the one pictured. Just the pot with the column stuffed with stainless steel pot scrubbers, and a condenser coil.

You don't need all the bells and whistles on the one pictured. Just the pot with the column stuffed with stainless steel pot scrubbers, and a condenser coil.
I saw they sell towers that attach right to SS kegs too
My kegs are 15 gallons hard to do a good reclaim with small amounts

I have 7.5 kegs but thay are plastic covered SS
almnost like rubber encased

Let us know which you do and how it works for you and everything. I just ran a small experiment. About a gram or so of the "dark hash" type of bubble and disolved it in some 93% isopropyl. Coffee filtered the result, shallow ceramic dish to evaporate.

The alcohol turned dark green. The filtered residue was more than I thought, oddly it looks like golden bubble now. When it is totally dry I will try a hit, but expect it to be null. Sure looks like golden bubble!
Didn't need to try it! Once dried it looked like bubble but wasn't. It was very light, like heavy dust in a house. Didn't melt either. Made a drop of oil, green however.

Bubba

Latest posts

Back