Jacks Nutrients

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flower

Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Since the members of this forum seem to be developing a growing interest (pun intended) in Jacks, and it is being discussed in multiple threads, I have decided to just start a discussion on it so we can all consolidate all the information in one place.

When @dogster tipped me off to this, I was still growing in Fox Farm Happy Frog.
Dogster was pretty adamant, in our private discussions, that Jacks performed the best in peat moss, specifically Sunshine mix #4.
He also only uses Jacks Professional.
I definitely have better results with peat moss, than I did with Happy Frog, so I do believe that peat moss of some kind, is better than nothing.

As some of us have found out, the professional is only available in a 25 lb. bag, and it’s not cheap, plus, it’s gonna take forever to go through 25 lbs, so most, if not all, of us have cut a corner or two by using the Classic, and the Bloom Booster.

IMG_4299.jpeg

I called Jacks up and asked a representative if the Classic 20-20-20 was the same as the Professional 20-20-20, he said it was, it is not.
The Classic doesn’t have CalMag, the Professional does.
After a little research on the internet, I decided that the Blossom Booster 10-30-20 would provide the desired nutrients that I was lacking.
I have not been disappointed with this decision.
I use the Classic in veg, and the Blossom Booster in 12/12.
Both are used at the rate of 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

Sunshine #4 is not readily available in my area, so I made due with what is.
Here is what I am using……….

IMG_4515.jpeg

This peat moss is readily available at Home Depot and Lowe’s.
I have been using this for a few months and am completely satisfied, but it is straight peat moss, no perlite.
So……….

IMG_4514.jpeg

I add 6 bags of this perlite to every 3 cubic foot bale of peat moss.
It’s an 8 quart bag.
4 quarts per gallon=2 gallons per bag, which=4 gallons of perlite per cubic foot of peat moss.

WHAT I HAVE LEARNED ABOUT JACKS.

IMG_4537.jpeg

I go through way more Bloom Booster, than I do the Classic.

I used the Classic 20-20-20 in both veg and flower for a few weeks before I realized I needed to get the Bloom Booster.
As you can see, I have used more of the Bloom Booster, than I have the Classic, even though I bought the classic first.

IMG_4287.jpeg

If any of my plants in veg start looking off, I hit them with the Bloom Booster for a couple feedings, that perks them right up.

1/2 teaspoon per gallon every feeding, I have started using a heaping 1/2 teaspoon.

I feed the same mix to all plants in veg, regardless of age.

I never PH anything.

IMG_4529.jpeg
IMG_4528.jpeg

I am totally satisfied with the results, and simplicity.

I guess I missed the memo on the rest but the happy frog and classic Jacks work fine for me. I have cal mag and will add it in flower stages. These were planted on 1/3 came up 1/4 and today is 1/27. My biggest 3 week old plants I have ever grown.😁
IMG_3007.jpeg

I guess I missed the memo on the rest but the happy frog and classic Jacks work fine for me. I have cal mag and will add it in flower stages. These were planted on 1/3 came up 1/4 and today is 1/27. My biggest 3 week old plants I have ever grown.😁View attachment 351461
As long as it’s working, that’s all that matters. Your plants are looking great, Jan.
Please update us with any changes you notice after adding CalMag.

As long as it’s working, that’s all that matters. Your plants are looking great, Jan.
Please update us with any changes you notice after adding CalMag.
It will he another 2 or 3 weeks the larger plant vegged a while 4-6 weeks I think

I've been using Jacks classic 20-20-20 or GS 20-20-20 (with Kelp) in veg. GS used to be cheaper, but Jack's classic is cheaper lately. For flower I mostly just use the Master Blend 4-18-38 my tomato plants like so much. I have an assortment of add-in bloom boosters I have tried and couldn't tell if they helped, so I just stick with the cheap master blend.

I add cal-mag to everything, double the recommended now that I switched to coco-perlite. I just use dry calcium nitrate and magnesium that I mix in a jar before adding it to the water.

On perlite, I have been using Viagrow from Home depot. It's 4 cubic feet (120 quarts) for $42. They generally have to ship it to the store, but it's super cheap.

Yep. I've used it for clones that I was selling to pot shops. I couldn't find vermiculite one time, so I tried it. What I like about it is, when it comes time to either put the clones in dirt or hydro, in dirt you just shake off the roots a little and then plant it, or in hydro, you shake 'em off, give 'em a quick rinse, and right into the clay pebbles they go.

All these salt fertilizer mixes are similar in a way. They offer little flexibility in precision feeding and lack a lot of beneficial elements that make using them not that much easier than using individual chemicals and a trace element mix. With all the additives that I need to tweak the numbers and add beneficial elements, I just don't use them in flowering anymore. If you are resorting to feeding only salts, I think you are missing out on a lot of benefits. Amino acids and biostimulants and beneficial elements will make the plants way more efficient and will require much less feeding.

Polystyrene foam contains the chemical styrene, which has been linked to cancer, vision and hearing loss, impaired memory and concentration, and nervous system effects…the list goes on.

Sorry guys. A lot of ppl don't know about this stuff, but I remember having to have this stuff abated from walls in commercial buildings because of its toxicity.
I'm surprised you can still buy it.

Just make sure if your going to use it to be careful with the dust. Lots of stuff we use is not safe but we use it anyway,,so just be careful with it.

https://toxicfreefuture.org/toxic-chemicals/styrene/

Last edited:

Polystyrene foam contains the chemical styrene, which has been linked to cancer, vision and hearing loss, impaired memory and concentration, and nervous system effects…the list goes on.

Sorry guys. A lot of ppl don't know about this stuff, but I remember having to have this stuff abated from walls in commercial buildings.
At one time they used it as insulation in between walls. Now it is considered toxic.

https://toxicfreefuture.org/toxic-chemicals/styrene/
There are huge commercial lettuce and green farms that use polystyrene boards as floating rafts for plants as well as packaging legumes. Maybe you need the food grade type and not the one used for construction?

The boards aren't in bead form where most the dust comes from. Probably like styrofoam boards. I have no idea. I just know I have had to have the beads abated from walls of commercial buildings.
I know that ppl are being warned about styrofoam cups and heating up liquids.
But as you know there is a lot of shit we are finding out that is toxic that our government allows us to use because of money and politics.
How many years were ppl exposed to lead and asbestos that was once considered safe by our lovely government and the EPA.

Well, thank you flower for posting this. Since I've switched to Jack's classic or bloom I'm seeing good healthy plants. Started them all out on 1/2tsp. Some of the plants show a little tip burn but I'm okay with that. Jacks is by far the most simple way to feed cannabis. Eventually I'll pick up that big bag of pro jacks but for now I'm okay with the classic, calcium nitrate, and Epsom salt.

Not real sure how to apply this CaN. I know it needs to fully dissolve before use. Just not sure how much to use. I'll start low and see what happens. If anyone uses CaN please pipe in and let me know how you use it.

If anyone uses CaN please pipe in and let me know how you use it.
Depends what your goal is, N/Ca or both. Main thing is its a salt and will build up so its a good idea to water a bit heavy occasionally to get a good run off.

You can use it as a top dress but i would only do that IN GROUND and not containers. 1-3 tsp per gallon of water. Ive had a helluva a time diggin up how much per gallon gives "X" amount of N/Ca but 1-3 tsp has been fine and thats plenty of calcium.

Now if calcium is the main goal and you are in "soil", i would just use calcium acetate instead. No nitrogen in it and readily available to plants. Bulk supplements sells it for about $25/kilo.

Also if mixing with high P/K "bloom" nutrients, mix it in after your P/K nutrients to avoid a lockout. I use 1 tbs MorBloom and 1-2 tsp of calcium nitrate and 1/2-1tsp of epsom salts per gallon.

Last edited:
Depends what your goal is, N/Ca or both. Main thing is its a salt and will build up so its a good idea to water a bit heavy occasionally to get a good run off.

You can use it as a top dress but i would only do that IN GROUND and not containers. 1-3 tsp per gallon of water. Ive had a helluva a time diggin up how much per gallon gives "X" amount of N/Ca but 1-3 tsp has been fine and thats plenty of calcium.

Now if calcium is the main goal and you are in "soil", i would just use calcium acetate instead. No nitrogen in it and readily available to plants. Bulk supplements sells it for about $25/kilo.

Also if mixing with high P/K "bloom" nutrients, mix it in after your P/K nutrients to avoid a lockout. I use 1 tbs MorBloom and 1-2 tsp of calcium nitrate and 1/2-1tsp of epsom salts per gallon.
Very close to what I just fed them. Dissolved the calcium nitrate at 1/2tsp gal and then added it to the 1/2tsp gal jacks classic. No Epsom salt yet. I am in promix HP Myco. Plain outta the bag nothing added.

I personally had the worst luck with this food product. every grow had some sort of deficiency. works good on outdoor plants it seems, like roses & flowers... but not MJ flowers... and trust me, I've tried them all.. from the stinky poo products to the expensive Mammoth P. Every soil made probably from my local nurseries blend to Subcools Super Soil mix that costs thousands of $ to make... hahaha.. RIP bro, miss you.. Sub was a good friend.
Jan I'd love to see you switch to FoxFarm 3 part Grow Big, Big Bud and Tiger Bloom... all you need after that is Calmag and a bud hardener and I use Overdrive.. I buy the 250ml bottle and lasts me a year...

And the price of these is great.. $30 for the 3pt FoxFarm...

If your really into dry nutrients... check out a little hidden gem called Lotus.. been using their Calmag for over a year with great great results...

and I finally listened to my brother Bigsur51 who started me off in autos... More CAlmag Carty.... I finally started using it at week 2 at 1/2tsp gal weekly... week 4 up it to 1tsp/gal weekly until 2wks before chopping.. this will prevent so many deficiencies you usually get and just cannot figure out....

Jacks is what I can afford. I bought the Trio of Fox farms 32oz bottles it cost like 60 bucks and I was out of it by july. I have been using this Jacks I paid $27. Been using it since Sept. I have 24 plants going at all times. I water every 2-3 days depending on how hot it is. I have barely used an inch in a 4 pound tub. You use 1/2 tsp per gallon of water every watering. Jacks is working. I will stick with Jacks, but thanks

Latest posts

Back