GOP Senator Suggests Marijuana Can Be Deadly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnin1

Reaction score
From alternet.org

"Lives Are at Stake": GOP Senator Suggests Marijuana Can Be Deadly

Alabama Republican Sen. Jeff Sessions does a 21st Century version of Reefer Madness as he calls for harsher drug sentences.

th

By Eric W. Dolan / Raw Story
October 12, 2015

th

Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL)

A U.S. senator on Thursday connected President Barack Obama’s comments on marijuana to drug overdose deaths.
Amid a lengthy speech calling for increased penalties for drug offenders, Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL) noted that Obama had admitted to smoking marijuana. Last year, the president said that marijuana is not more dangerous than alcohol.

“I think it needs to be said that the president should never have said smoking marijuana is like smoking cigarettes: ‘Oh, I wish I hadn’t done it,’ Sessions said on the Senate floor. “That is the kind of message people hear. Now we have states legalizing it, and they are already talking about recriminalizing it. It is a mistake. We have seen that experiment before. Lives are at stake.”

The Republican senator linked marijuana to fatal overdoses — even though experts say it is impossible to die from consuming too much of the drug.

“The Drug Enforcement Administration called me recently and told me that 120 people a day are dying of a drug overdose in America,” he continued. “How many of them have serious brain injuries as a result of those overdoses?

Our Presiding Officer, Dr. Cassidy, has been around emergency rooms. How many people are taken to emergency rooms and at what great cost to our communities? How many lives are disrupted? How many children are in broken homes? How many people had to leave their home because one spouse or the other has spent all the family money on drugs to support a habit? How many children have been abandoned, went to bed without food because of addiction in their family?”

Sessions said the federal government should take harsher actions to combat drug use.

“These are serious matters,” he remarked. “We made tremendous progress. The murder rate in America dropped by over 50 percent since the 1980s when Ronald Reagan said ‘just say no’ and started a War on Crime. He appointed me as the U.S. attorney in Alabama. I know what we did. And the federal government led the way with tough sentencing, eliminating parole, targeting dangerous drugs in effective ways, and states and local governments followed.”

“I am worried about it,” Sessions said. “It is just tragic to me that we are making the same mistakes we made in the 1960s and 1970s. According to new data, 4.3 million people abuse or are dependent on marijuana. Marijuana is stronger today–several times stronger–than the marijuana of the 1960s, and it does impact people adversely.”

Watch video below:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg_mvG5r1oo[/ame]

Eric W. Dolan has been an editor for Raw Story since August 2010. He is also the publisher and editor of PsyPost. Follow him on Twitter @ewdolan.

http://www.alternet.org/drugs/lives-stake-gop-senator-marijuana-deadly

Is it wrong to say I cant wait till all these brain washed idiots are dead and gone?

ok... how about just too old for public office

NO, wait! some of them (congressmen) stay on till their 90's
(because THATS when your making progressive, rational decisions about the nation's future)

/sigh

:48:

If your wrong Joe, i don't wanna be right.... He is an idiot. Makes me want to smoke a bowl...oh, ok, I will.

I don't know which stories BOIL my blood more, watching cops beat/shoot/tase/harm/bully innocents or talking heads like this spew LIES and make decisions (that effect ME and my family) based on those and other's LIES
(Planned Parenthood?)

DEEP (hit) breath.... again, again... feel the relaxation flowing over you like rain.
a little better

:48:

EDIT:

OHIO's Attorney General (DeWine)

DeWine, a Republican and former prosecutor, made a three-day pot fact-finding trip to Colorado from Oct. 3 to 5. He met with Colorado Attorney General Cynthia Coffman, Dr. Amy Brooks-Kayal of Children’s Hospital Colorado, law enforcement officials, educators and others.
-snip-
DeWine said the consensus from conversations with more than a dozen people was: “You guys are crazy if you bring this to Ohio. There’s nothing good about it.”
http://workplace.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/10/12/marijuana-infused-candy-dewine.html

I also am appalled at all the lies and falsehoods that these idiots spread. Not to get into politics too much, but what in the @#$% is wrong with the GOP?

My son lives in CO. He tells me that really not much has changed there....except increased tax revenues from the sale of cannabis. Me thinks DeWine is lying...

This is just one of the many reasons why I will be voting for Bernie Sanders.

Latest posts

Back