Governor’s Prison Plan: Don’t Tax Pot, Steal A Car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
As California considers how to reduce prison spending, it continues to overlook non-violent marijuana prisoners. Later this month, the legislature will be debating a plan by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to reduce $1.2 billion in prison spending as part of the state’s budget deal. Last week, a federal court ordered the state to eliminate 44,000 inmates over the next two years to reduce overcrowding.

However, a draft of the Administration’s plan by the Department of Corrections budget office makes no mention of marijuana or other non-violent drug prisoners. Instead, it proposes raising the felony threshold for crimes such as grand theft, writing bad checks, and receiving stolen property. This would make it a misdemeanor instead of a felony to steal an automobile valued at less than $2,500.

In contrast, current laws make it a felony to sell a single joint or grow a single marijuana plant. Over the years, the state has repeatedly rejected proposals to reduce marijuana penalties. The governor has indicated his opposition to Assemblyman Tom Ammiano’s bill AB 390 that would eliminate pot prisoners by legalizing, regulating, and taxing marijuana.

“The governor’s message seems to be, ‘Don’t tax pot, steal a car,’ commented California NORML (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws) Director Dale Gieringer.

To help cut prison spending, California NORML is calling on the legislature to reduce penalties for marijuana sales and cultivation from mandatory felonies to optional misdemeanors. “If the state needs to eliminate prisoners, non-violent marijuana crimes are a good place to start,” said Gieringer.

As of December 31, 2008, California had 1,538 marijuana felons in state prison, which is 15 times as many as in 1980. Another 30,000 prisoners are serving time for non-violent drug offenses - 12,000 of them for simple possession. The Legislative Analyst’s Office estimates that one year of incarceration costs the state $49,000.

Victims’ rights groups have attacked the governor’s plan for reducing the prison population by some 27,000 inmates, fearing that it will release dangerous and predatory criminals. Reformers argue that such concerns don’t apply to marijuana and other non-violent drug offenses, which are consensual and have no victims.

Californians are urged to contact the governor and legislative leadership and urge them to eliminate mandatory felony penalties for marijuana offenses and include marijuana offenders in the state’s plans to reduce prison overcrowding.

hxxp://shuurl.com/R6366

Ya, Arnie is blowing it with this man.

Say what you all want, but my govenor will kick your govenors butt in a cage match!

They can kill two birds with one stone so to speak. They should release all non-violent drug offenders. And use convicted thieves for services such as cleaning graffiti, cleaning public parks and beaches. Or possibly auction them off to be used as manual labor on farms and such, the humilliation alone should stop thier thievery, if not, well let's not look at it as indentured servitude but more like job security.

NorCalHal said:
Ya, Arnie is blowing it with this man.

Say what you all want, but my govenor will kick your govenors butt in a cage match!

I bet he'd be even money against Sarah Palin, that woman is scary, she kills grizzlies with a pen knife.;)

My younger brother who wouldnt do as much as harm an insect, is serving 18 months in the Susanville State Pen. for an MJ charge on a level 3 yard with gang bangers and murderers because they didnt have room for him with the non violent offenders, real fricken sweet huh ?

That's just crazy Chris, i hope your brother is getting on ok.

Ouch Chris! Remind me to stay the hell out of Susanville.

Latest posts

Back