Great Strains for beginners - advice from the pros when shopping for beans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Aldebaran

I decided to open a fairly significant thread for beginners who are in the market for seeds but might make a bad purchase through sheer ignorance or because they might think the name is cool but don't know the exact specifications of the strain they've bought. I'm thinking there are Veterans that could offer good tips on tested seeds that would be manageable for Novice indoor gardeners.

I'm hoping this thread is not considered useless...

I went with White Widow and Northern Lights for the 2 main strains on my first grow. Both of them are supposed to be good for beginners and I found them to be pretty easy to deal with.

Yep, there's a whole lotta choices out there. As far as specific strains go it depends on what you are looking for in the type of plant and type of buzz. What kind of a high do you want? What kind of conditions will you be growing in?

If you're looking for a good entry level company to browse that won't cost you an arm and a leg i personally recommend Nirvana Seeds and Mandala Seeds. About $30 per 10 seeds, give or take. Nirvana has a lot of popular strains and Mandala's seeds are extremely well breed strains. Both seed lines can be purchased from the Attitude.

I steer away from feminized seeds myself.

Happy hunting! it can get quite addicting too. I have way more seeds than i can grow anytime soon. I'm talking years! (and i wouldn't have it any other way!) :)

indicas seem to have more forgivness for noob mistakes...WW is said to be one of the easier strains to grow...i've heard good things about seedsman's WW and i have 2 fems, just havent grown them yet.

Bowl Destroyer said:
bagseed is fine for beginners, IMHO, lol

I have to disagree with this. For one, IMO/E bagseed is nothing but trouble waiting to happen. You have no real idea what you are getting at all and more than likely the genetics of the bagseed will have hermie traits in them.
And for another good genetics alone can really help to make your first grow a great success. You will have a general idea of what the plant likes and dislikes already. Plus the confidence that if grown out properly you will have some solid dank.

The less frustrations you have on your first grow the better :)

warfish said:
I have to disagree with this. For one, IMO/E bagseed is nothing but trouble waiting to happen. You have no real idea what you are getting at all and more than likely the genetics of the bagseed will have hermie traits in them.
And for another good genetics alone can really help to make your first grow a great success. You will have a general idea of what the plant likes and dislikes already. Plus the confidence that if grown out properly you will have some solid dank.

The less frustrations you have on your first grow the better :)

I agree with Warfish on this....however, I think that newbies should practice, practice, practice germinateing seeds...and bag seeds are excellent and cheap source for practicing on. Get the seedling to where it has a few sets of healthy leaves, and toss it in the compost pile...do this as often as you can with free seeds.

The only reason I say this is because it seems like alot of newbies have trouble with germinateing for some reason...and they always seem to want to blame the seed company or the breeder. When in reality it is more than likely rooky mistakes...so I'm all for practicing on bag seed until you figure out your method...and then use the good beans.

monkeybusiness said:
Yep, there's a whole lotta choices out there. As far as specific strains go it depends on what you are looking for in the type of plant and type of buzz. What kind of a high do you want? What kind of conditions will you be growing in?

If you're looking for a good entry level company to browse that won't cost you an arm and a leg i personally recommend Nirvana Seeds and Mandala Seeds. About $30 per 10 seeds, give or take. Nirvana has a lot of popular strains and Mandala's seeds are extremely well breed strains. Both seed lines can be purchased from the Attitude.

I steer away from feminized seeds myself.

Happy hunting! it can get quite addicting too. I have way more seeds than i can grow anytime soon. I'm talking years! (and i wouldn't have it any other way!) :)

I agree with Monkeybusiness. Get some decent genetics that don't cost an arm & leg. I have grown some of those $30 Nirvana strains and they are among my favorite. I don't recommend growing out bagseed because like others have stated, you have a very good chance of hermies, even if conditions are perfect. Being that your a beginner, it probly won't be perfect, I know mine wasn't. I personally like Nirvanas AK-48. It is pretty simple, not too tall, easy to clone, good yields, very potent. It does require extra cal-mag sometimes I've found. Good luck. Read up as much as you can.

imho i agree that bag seed should just be used to experiment with germination,before i started my 1st grow which is half way through week 6 of flowering i thought about using bagseed but decided against that,my 1st grow contains 5 greenhouse lemon skunk,1 pineapple express from g13 labs and a dna genetics hash plant haze and im very happy with how its all goin and definatly suggest gettin a breeders strain over bagseed anyday.
i ignore all the noobs who blame the breeder and genetics there just angry it didnt turn out how they expected for example im havin a problem with 2 of my lemon skunks,they have plenty of bud sites but they arent really buddin or are extreamly slow cause my other 3 are packin it on and crystal covered but the other 2 just seem to want to grow taller and almost to tall for my tent which is 2mtrs so im a little worried bout them but i wudnt go blaming greenhouse etc,anyone got any ideas y thats happenin?or could i lst them this late in flowering 1ce the rest are finished?
i would suggest the g13 labs pineapple express for a bigginer there good producers and i found it easy to grow cant wait for it to finish :D

I only use bag seed for my diabolical experiments....That and I practice different germination techniques on them and then kill them...

Hey Hamster where did you get that magnificent tent ? All I can find are Darkroom tents. Are those the same things. Also, that White Dwarf on your second grow (autos), is that a short plant? if so where did you get those?
I'm already ordering 10 Lowriders from Nirvana. Thanks for the tips you guys/girls. I might try NL and WW too but I don't want trees growing in my house. trying to stay low key you know? I might try that Sea of green method
for those, One more thing Hamster, you think if you wanted you could do a Sea of green in that tent you have? I gotta get me one of those tents!!!

I think that your very first attempt should be bagseed.

Yeah you're right... it's a crap shoot.

However, you aren't wasting money...

You may get something worth keeping...

And you will learn how to not kill something that didn't cost you more than the sack of schwagg it came in...

My suggestion. Find a sack of good middies with very few seeds and go with that for your first go.

After that start spending money. Why waste 50$ on "decent" genetics when you might kill off your first 1,2 or 3 attempts like I did and a lot of others did.

Like your quote implies Mr. Wakenbake.I feel a lot of dealers are shady, and at least for me middle-men are even shadier,but not all, statistically females are more trustworthy than males at on my count ,plus add in the common courtesy bonus I pay to helpful middle guys or girls and the fact that a lot of commercial I find have a lot of immature seeds. basically I just feel that the black market is pretty much unreliable and not to be trusted, but that's me.. but thanks for the suggestion

Aldebaran said:
Hey Hamster where did you get that magnificent tent ? All I can find are Darkroom tents. Are those the same things. Also, that White Dwarf on your second grow (autos), is that a short plant? if so where did you get those?
I'm already ordering 10 Lowriders from Nirvana. Thanks for the tips you guys/girls. I might try NL and WW too but I don't want trees growing in my house. trying to stay low key you know? I might try that Sea of green method
for those, One more thing Hamster, you think if you wanted you could do a Sea of green in that tent you have? I gotta get me one of those tents!!!

Got both my tents on ebay...White Dwarf is available on Attitude and Dope seeds I belive...and it doesn't get tall at allmaybe 24 inches or so if you keep the pot on the smaller side. I am sure you cld set up a sea of green in the tents..they are quite spacious inside.

Latest posts

Back