Great Strains for beginners - advice from the pros when shopping for beans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the tent I hve from the same place I bought my first tent...

hXXp://cgi.ebay.com/2x4x5-FT-HYDROPONICS-GROW-TENT-HYDRO-BOX-HUT-CABINET-BL_W0QQitemZ160406960188QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2558fff83c

Change hXXp to http

legalize_freedom said:
I agree with Warfish on this....however, I think that newbies should practice, practice, practice germinateing seeds...and bag seeds are excellent and cheap source for practicing on. Get the seedling to where it has a few sets of healthy leaves, and toss it in the compost pile...do this as often as you can with free seeds.

The only reason I say this is because it seems like alot of newbies have trouble with germinateing for some reason...and they always seem to want to blame the seed company or the breeder. When in reality it is more than likely rooky mistakes...so I'm all for practicing on bag seed until you figure out your method...and then use the good beans.
:yeahthat:

I agree 110%.

Too much not being able to get it to a few sets of healthy leaves.

DD

Mr.Wakenbake said:
I think that your very first attempt should be bagseed.

Yeah you're right... it's a crap shoot.

However, you aren't wasting money...

You may get something worth keeping...

And you will learn how to not kill something that didn't cost you more than the sack of schwagg it came in...

My suggestion. Find a sack of good middies with very few seeds and go with that for your first go.

After that start spending money. Why waste 50$ on "decent" genetics when you might kill off your first 1,2 or 3 attempts like I did and a lot of others did.

For sure, it will be better than the smoke the seeds came in. If grown under good conditions anyway.

I'm growing bagseed that was given to me. Turns out, it's a pure indica with very little smell and a 3 hit couchlock. Was lucky for sure, but for my situation I doubt if I could have bought better genetics. Especially the potency and no need for odor control.

DD

theblacksheep said:
imho i agree that bag seed should just be used to experiment with germination,before i started my 1st grow which is half way through week 6 of flowering i thought about using bagseed but decided against that,my 1st grow contains 5 greenhouse lemon skunk,1 pineapple express from g13 labs and a dna genetics hash plant haze and im very happy with how its all goin and definatly suggest gettin a breeders strain over bagseed anyday.
i ignore all the noobs who blame the breeder and genetics there just angry it didnt turn out how they expected for example im havin a problem with 2 of my lemon skunks,they have plenty of bud sites but they arent really buddin or are extreamly slow cause my other 3 are packin it on and crystal covered but the other 2 just seem to want to grow taller and almost to tall for my tent which is 2mtrs so im a little worried bout them but i wudnt go blaming greenhouse etc,anyone got any ideas y thats happenin?or could i lst them this late in flowering 1ce the rest are finished?
i would suggest the g13 labs pineapple express for a bigginer there good producers and i found it easy to grow cant wait for it to finish :D

Just takeing a guess here...I haven't looked into your strains...but most skunk is a sativa...so I'm assuming that your other strains are indica dominate, and the skunk is going to go a little longer than the rest. Sounds like you might want to start doing some lst work

Man! Alot of good responses, here's mine. Dinafem through the Attitude! Did my first real grow with blue widow(fem). The seeds i didn't lose due to...well good kush, came out awsome! Dinafems got a few auto's and thier prices are cheap. The varieties have grown since i first used the Tude. Gl and happy bean hunting!

legalize_freedom said:
Just takeing a guess here...I haven't looked into your strains...but most skunk is a sativa...so I'm assuming that your other strains are indica dominate, and the skunk is going to go a little longer than the rest. Sounds like you might want to start doing some lst work

thanks for the reply legalise freedom,the lemon skunks are a indica/sativa hybrid that are a 8 week strain but take them to 9 weeks to bring out the lemon more,its just 2 out of 5 that are doin the extreamly slow thing the rest have chunky buds glistenin with thc but i think im gonna lst the other 2 when the rest finish in 2-3 weeks,even my hash plant haze is budded a lot more and its a 70% sativa.
i see the valid points for bagseed and seedbank strains just for me personaly i went with good genetics off of attitude and all my seeds germed without a problem but i suppose its each to their own when it comes to seeds.

HI,

I've found that popping beans is a part of growing that takes a certain feel to do well consistently and it really helps to get your 'chops' up before germinating seeds that you've not only spent $$ on but also impatiently waited for while sweatin' it out with visions of orange jail jumpsuits dancing in yer head while you hovered over the mailbox...:hubba: I've been growing pot since the early 90s and there's nothing that humbles me as a grower like failing at popping some valuable beans. On one of my first grows with some seeds I brought back with me from a trip to Amsterdam (back before Marc Emery or anyone was selling seeds internationally) I had a miserable failure and if I had started with bagseed I never would have killed off half a tray of potential dank while trying to find my way. And there was no way to re-order my beans unless I got on a plane to Amsterdam...
icon9.gif

Germinating and growing from seed requires getting the balance right between moisture and air and every method and environment is a little bit different so it can take some small tweaks to get things rolling along smooth. By far I prefer to grow from clone stock and sometimes it can be years between my grows from seed. Maybe it's cuz I'm such a pothead...:joint:but each time I go back to popping beanz it takes me a bit of re-learning how to best optimize conditions for having great success with seedlings. I usually get 20-30 fresh bagseeds from pals to play with and get my seed popping green mojo together before I reach for the high dollar breeder packets. There are many ways of germinating and doing things but you need to find a method that works for you in your setup and a method you can have consistency with.

Anyhooo.... I totally agree that you should get good genetics to grow to fruition but I suggest playing with some bagseed until you can consistently germinate and grow seedlings to a few sets of leaves so that you get your skillz up to speed... Then OVERGROW the world with diggity dank... The PASSION is goin' to getcha...;)

Happy Growing!:cool:

Just look at the PITA the beginning of my Fall 2009 was...I cld not get a bean to pop for nothing...wasted a whole pack of a Cali Orange Bud cross...I always keep some bagseed around to keep the germing chops up now...I feel like I hve what works best for me down and I hve had no germing problems since...

Hey guys/girls I just want to say thanks for all the wise insightful recommendations. It is a relief to me, that this thread was not considered useless. I remain hopeful that before this thread dies, at least a few more New members/guests might take a look in here and be imbued with the knowledge that otherwise could only be acquired through time, patience, and at least a few mistakes. I know that there's still plenty of room for error in the cultivation process, that much I've gathered.

I think most newbies over-complicate the germination process in their minds because naturally speaking, we would think (why not just place the seeds in whatever substrate we're using. If one grows using any of the hydroponic methods than I'm guessing doing this might not be the best Idea.
A while back, a friend and I just threw some Bag seed in normal ground soil to see if anything would grow, Oh it grew, a nice patch too. I pulled them though because I was frightened that I would get busted.:eek:

to hamster and monkey thanks for the great info on tents!!!:D

Stewie Griffin's life lesson number 12

Don't Leave bodies in the trunk!!:p

100x100_1237821727_stewie_family_guy_sm.jpg

I would say the top 3 for a beginner... Northern Lights, Big Bud, White Widow in no particular order. They are all very stable and quite tolerant of stress.

Latest posts

Back