Grow cabinet building questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wantstogrowbuds

Reaction score
I have a 1000w light that I'm selling and downgrading to a 600w for the sake of efficiency. I'm building this cabinet from wood. It's going to be nailed together on three sides, and have a wooden ceiling. The floor will be maybe just an unattached sheet of rubber or something similar, and the door will be a tightly velcrod tarp or something. I have a 435 watt 6 inch exhaust fan to pull air out of the cabinet and I am going to by a fan controller. My questions are: going with a 3.5 x 3.5 how tall should my cabinet be? Should I just cut a 12 inch vent or purchase a 220 cfm blower for intake? Would exhausting the air just out of the cabinet, into the room the cabinets in and into a carbon filter be acceptable? Should I add a small air purifier into the cabinet?

if you vent into the room the cabinets are in, you are going to raise the temperature of the incoming air, plus you want fresh air coming in, not recirculated air that the plants have already gleaned their needs from. don't worry about a fan for intake. passive is just fine. i use two 8 inch 90 degree pvc pipe elbows on the intakes to prevent light from leaking in and ruining my bloom. use screws, not nails. nails are going to start walking back out with temperature and humidity changes. the wood will expand and contract. go to my thread, yarddogs cabinet grow and look at the first couple pages when i was building the cabinet and you will be able to see some of what i am talking about.

Have you looked into tents? They come in many sizes and are easily put up, moved, and taken down.

If you do build a cabinet, I would build it tall--at least 7'-8' if possible. You probably will not need an intake fan. A lot of us find them unnecessary. Like Yarddog said, you are going to want to vent the exhaust air outside the room it is being taken from. In addition to the air being warm, it will be depleted of CO2. Ventilation is a 2-fold thing--it is to keep the space cool, but it is also to provide air exchange so the plants always have a fresh supply of CO2.

I used to run a cabinet myself but trust me a tent is way better by the time you're done building that cabinet you probably could've bought a tent and not to mention like The Hamp goddess said they're much easier to deal with because you can take them down and put them away and put them back up real easy Plus they already have many options for ventilation

i have more money in my cabinet than a tent would cost me. i also wish i had more than 5 and a half feet of height

400+ wats for venting 600w of light sounds too much. 6ft + height if you have it would be nice. passive intake is sufficient, just make it bigger. hope this helps, cheers :)

tents also have a waterproof bottom. mine is about 4 inches high for any overflow while waterting. love tent..

Latest posts

Back