Grow in the process (LST method)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iamganja

Reaction score
first of all its good to be back after quite a long time away, but the past is the past anyways i'm here again to learn more about the broad world of marijuana cultivation. :D

LST: low stress training

As i have been researching and reading alot about this method certain points dont seem that clear to me.

The first part is i would start my LST as soon as 2weeks of veg. (is that possible). wht i read said 2 or 3 nodes.

The 2nd part is, do i keep running the method until bud appearance ? and when exactly would i perform the topping process, and if so would i LST both new growths or not.

The last thing i wanted to ask do you just let the plant grow and enjoy its flowering or will it need more tying down.

thanks for your time :D:D and its good to back again :)

Welcome back Iamganja!

IMHO, using LST is a continuous process during your grow. As I understand the science of it, the plant has a hormone that moves to the highest point of the plant to keep it growing upwards.

By tying over the main stem (so the growing tip is no longer the highest point on the plant), you're causing those hormones to go to the next highest points- and those points become the new vertical growing tips.

It's pretty amazing to see actually. I've seen some pics on this site from some of the LST experts who make their main stem wrap around the pot 2 or 3 times!

So, let's say your main stem has 4 nodes where new growth is starting (the smaller growth, not the fan leaves). At that top node is your growing tip where the hormone goes to continue vertical growth. Now by tying that tip down so it is below those other nodes- you now have 3 tips that are now the highest points- the hormone goes there, and all three points start to grow upwards. It's basically the same as topping, but without the stress of actually cutting a part off the plant.

You can later top those tips, to make 6 new tops, or you can do more lst. It's up you you really.

For better info, you should read Stoney Bud's thread on lst and hst. Here's the link....

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1519

Hope this helps. Happy Growing! :cool:

BBFan said:
Welcome back Iamganja!

IMHO, using LST is a continuous process during your grow. As I understand the science of it, the plant has a hormone that moves to the highest point of the plant to keep it growing upwards.

By tying over the main stem (so the growing tip is no longer the highest point on the plant), you're causing those hormones to go to the next highest points- and those points become the new vertical growing tips.

It's pretty amazing to see actually. I've seen some pics on this site from some of the LST experts who make their main stem wrap around the pot 2 or 3 times!

So, let's say your main stem has 4 nodes where new growth is starting (the smaller growth, not the fan leaves). At that top node is your growing tip where the hormone goes to continue vertical growth. Now by tying that tip down so it is below those other nodes- you now have 3 tips that are now the highest points- the hormone goes there, and all three points start to grow upwards. It's basically the same as topping, but without the stress of actually cutting a part off the plant.

You can later top those tips, to make 6 new tops, or you can do more lst. It's up you you really.

For better info, you should read Stoney Bud's thread on lst and hst. Here's the link....

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1519

Hope this helps. Happy Growing! :cool:

Thanks for the reply ya i read that and i understand that concept pretty well i just had those little confusions im still working on my setup so once i have that done i will have pictures up in no time. the other thing is do i continue while its flowering or do i just let it flower when i think the time is right?

Iamganja said:
Thanks for the reply ya i read that and i understand that concept pretty well i just had those little confusions im still working on my setup so once i have that done i will have pictures up in no time. the other thing is do i continue while its flowering or do i just let it flower when i think the time is right?

Yes. After it has begun flowering you should leave it to it's own, UNLESS...

It will depend on the strain you are growing Iamganga. If the plant is not expected to stretch much AFTER flowering is initiated ( say a predominately Indica plant) then leave the top, the best and most potent part! As long as the lateral branching is fairly equal in height.
That's the operative here. Keeping the tops somewhat the same height. I would only pinch the top IF it were way and above the rest of the growing tips...

Then again, if you are growing a predominately sativa strain then the tip may grow 200% or more after flowering has begun so it's all a matter of how much room you have UP and how the lateral branches have grown in relation to the tip at that point. If they are fairly equal in height you may want to leave the growing meristem alone. Prety much up to you. You will have plenty of buds either way.

Iamganja said:
do i continue while its flowering or do i just let it flower when i think the time is right?

I did some fooling around with lst on my last grow. I actually untied 2 plants when I switched to flower. Ended up with those 2 getting uneven. The ones I left tied maintained a nice even canopy throughout flower.

IMHO you should have your canopy where you want it before you switch to 12/12.

Just my thoughts! Happy Growing! :cool:

alright i see, looking at the whole picture it seems like u have to do so much work in LST and constantly train while in SCROG you just place the screen and keep pushing those tops/branches down under the screen, and once the desired canopy is achieved switch to 12/12 and watch the wonders. I see that SCROG is lot more efficient than LST but it might require more care in terms of air circulation and canopy alignment plus the prunning that must be performed from time to time. :D well thank for the input always good to learn something new.

here is what lst looks like,

in this pic, ive utilized Bending, supercropping and topping, really puts YOU in control of the plants overall shape, and paves the way for flower with the best canopy structure you could ask for.

gl

user109431_pic197649_1255924031.jpg

Latest posts

Back