Grow in unheated area....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

North Fork Hermit

try'n to stop time.......
Reaction score
I've never grown in an unheated area before--section of my basement. Set up is a grow tent from HTG/400wMH/HPS. Would like to know if I should include a small ceramic heater to keep temps up when lights are off. I'm in the north east and temps range 40/50* F in basement. I'm figuring when lights are on that they will provide enough heat?

I'm in the same environment, my 600w keeps it about 75 with lights on. At lights off I run a small heater with a thermostat so that if it drops below 65 my electric heater kicks on. I think the thing is pretty much running nonstop though. except when lights are on.

I took visquene sheet and sectioned off a corner of my basement where my veg cabinet, and flower room are both inside the visquene curtain. I have a register from my heater blowing in there to, but the basement is so much colder I decided to partition off a section, so I'm not haveing to heat the whole basement.

legalize_freedom said:
I'm in the same environment, my 600w keeps it about 75 with lights on. At lights off I run a small heater with a thermostat so that if it drops below 65 my electric heater kicks on. I think the thing is pretty much running nonstop though. except when lights are on.

I took visquene sheet and sectioned off a corner of my basement where my veg cabinet, and flower room are both inside the visquene curtain. I have a register from my heater blowing in there to, but the basement is so much colder I decided to partition off a section, so I'm not haveing to heat the whole basement.

Thats the Best option..IME . Personall I would look at the return ducting to see if i could cut in another return air for proper mixing of air for the whole space.
Personally, I have a room that is sealed from the rest of the home. I dont want my home smelling like my growe room. So Relatives werent to happy to visit due to odors.
I run twin 600HPS and 400MH and all heating of the room is done with re-circulating fans , timed exhaust and fresh air make-up . Room stays 60* lights off and 80 max temp. with all light running.

The plants will tolerate low temps well enough provided the lamps create enough warmth when they are on.

leafminer said:
The plants will tolerate low temps well enough provided the lamps create enough warmth when they are on.
..."tolerate".. yes, ....."thrive", no....
I believe, you should 'try' to keep lights on and lights off temp's within a 15 degree difference for maximum potential. 70-80F lights on, 60-70F light out..;)

Also, do not set your grow containers directly on the cold concrete floor.

THG,

Amen sister.
root/pot temperature is as important, if not more important than air temperature, especially in hydro. Putting them on a table if you have the height available will go a long ways to keeping them happy because the roots stay warmer. Or if height is a problem, go to Home Depot, Lowes or any other home improvement center/building supply house and buy 3/4"" or thicker styrofoam insulation board. If you want get fancier, get the foil face stuff with the high insulation values. They may also be slightly more durable that plain styrofoam. Or if you can find 2" lumber to put under the pots, that will help a lot but not as much as the foam insulation board placed under the pots. Usually the 2" lumber will actually cost more if you have to buy it and it is a lot harder to work with than the foam board.

DO NOT PLAN ON WALKING ON THE FOAM BOARD OR DRAGGING THINGS AROUND ON IT, just put pieces under the pots/rez! None of it is that durable.

I wouldn't even plan on doing those kinds of things if I had it sandwiched between 2 pieces of paneling although that will increase the durability a lot but will also increase the cost factor. By the time you do that, you can buy and throw a way several pieces of plain foam board.

Good luck and good smoking.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

THG has a good point...my pots are all off of the concrete, cold concrete will pull the heat out of anything. Sorry I didn't think to add that.

Yeah I wld not want to hve my ladies sitting in 40/50f during lights off...I don't let the lights off temps go below 60f and i try to keep them at 65f...

Latest posts

Back