Growbox venting temperature question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahoner

sandy beaches
Reaction score
hey
i am a first time grower. have spent a ton of time reading every thing on this suberb, very useful website and built my own 2x2x2 growbox. i currently have 6 42 watt daylight cfls and 2 23 watt 2700k cfls on 4 LST'ed bagseed babies about 3 weeks into veg. using a AC 120V dayton 100 cfm fan for exhaust and a AC 120V tubeaxial 40 cfm for intake. i didn't think i would have this problem using cfls (the ballasts get very hot) but the temps in the box began to high when i put the carbon filters on and i ended up halting growth for like a week. took them off but still cant get the temps down below 90 without the door open and a large fan blowing fresh air right in. should i add another exhuast fan or intake or both? it already takes a large oscillating fan to cool the box down would a small wall mounted one inside do anything for the temps(besides promoting strong stems)?
most importantly, would using a150 or 170 watt hps instead of eight cfl bulbs with eight heat producing ballasts(within the box) reduce heat? or is a 2x2x2 space much too small for HID lighting?
thanks for reading

it is actually in my loft so i vent down below in the main room. i built it 2 feet tall cause thats my height limit. i am lsting them so hopefully wont be too much of an issue..
if the fans are the same though would you not lose the negative pressure in the box? and some people have told me that a passive intake would take in more air and would probaly reduce temps huge. any comment?

thanks alot dude really helpful there are so many conflicting views on the forums its hard to get a stright answer sometimes
one more question do you think the 100 cfm fan is enough as an exhaust or should i throw another fan on and then just have passive intakes with light baffles? or should i drill another intake hole and throw another intake fan on it and have 2 intake fans and 1 exhaust?

It is a common misconception that CFLs run cooler than HID--they simply do not. You could probably put a 150W HPS in a cool tube in there and not take up any more space than your CFLs and keep things cool with the fans you have. I agree with removing the smaller intake fan.

Latest posts

Back