guerilla!idea for not making watering trips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zem

Reaction score
theres a guerilla watering method that utilizes every drop of water efficiently instead of it evaporating and running into the ground, it was used in africa dry lands by farmers and the most amazing aspect of it is very low water usage. the method is by burrying a clay container in the ground, the pourous kind of clay that prespires water to the outside and what's amazing is that the hotter it gets the more the clay prespires. it is also used for water cooling they keep water in the clay jug and because of prespiration and evaporation the water in the clay jug is colder better to drink. it is also sold as toys and decoration like this cute chia pet you see its photo here :) the clay container underground would keep the surrounding soil moist enough and the plants utilizes this water while no water is being lost so guerilla growers using this method would bearly ever have to take watering trips, they can take small quantities of water just to top off but if the container is big enough you might be able to pass through a whole dry season without filling and in rain season the rain will water and you can refill using rainwater. i hope this might help someone guerilla grower out there :) cheers

chia-turtle.JPG

but on clay pots they have holes on the bottom still. wont the water goin in just drain into the ground under the pot and soak up there and dissapate away from the plant :confused2:

no zip the clay containers are closed water containers not pots, a clay container with water inside burried underground with a small hose to refill with plants next to it, the water inside prespires slowly feeding the roots

and it wouldnt drown teh roots out if ya had a huge rain or if it rained a day or two strait which it doe do in many places.
im not tryin to disprove ya zem , im curious bout it cuz im all for the low maintenance outdoor if i do happen to do an outdoor this comin year again.

Reactions: zem
thats fine zip :) it cannot drown the roots since it prespires little amounts of water negligible compared to a heavy rainfall + when it's wet and cold outside it doesn't prespire at all, prespiration happens when it's dry and hot outside the container. if the roots wil drown due to rain it will be cuz you planted them where water puddles up when it rains and not because of the underground clay containers. if you are considering getting them your main obstacle would be to find someone who works in pottery to have them done for you, i don't think you would find anything similar sold commercially. i have seen a guy on TV showing how he grows his potted plants with those, you might be able to use clay water jugs but make sure they are the porous type some have a hole perfect to attach hose

This is actually pretty ingenious. Definetly something I would like to try. Thanks for the post.

check it out i just found a link on this :D hxxp://en.howtopedia.org/wiki/How_to_Use_the_Porous_Clay_Pots_and_Pipes_System

does it envelop the roots like a pot or does it just go underneath the plant?

closed clay water container underground with plants next to it, check my link for pics

oh :doh:
wow i feel like an idiot now.
ur talkin buryin a clay pot with no holes in ground but leaving teh clay pot empty and to be filled with water....
i thought youwas talkin buryin a clay pot with no drain holes in it and have ya plant growing in the pot?
thas why i asked bout ya roots drowning.
sorry man but i totaly misunderstand ya post til now.
:rofl:
but dang, that actually does sound liek a neat idea tho now that i see it this waynow.
:aok:
thanks zem

I know of two brothers in AR that do this on there grows. They used a clay cylinder that extended from the ground to under the plant. They actually dug a hole and planted on top of there clay cylinder. They did this because they grow on steep slopes that would require a huge pump to get the water up to the plants. They would backpack water in about once every two weeks or so depending on the rain. Seemed to work very well for them. I am quite sure they made these pots themselves, because I have never seen anymore like them.

Latest posts

Back