Happy 4th of July/Independence day!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy 4th everyone!
And Happy 233rd America!

Today marks the day she was born. And shortly after, she took on the mightiest army in the world. And kicked their tail using a bunch of farmers with pitchforks.

Then twice. Came along and single handedly and saved the world from world wars.

Your a grand old lady America. I love ya.

oh, and I got shot in the neck by a bottle rocket tonite, other than that, with the booze, food, partyin and all. A great day, hope everyone elses was too.

mrkingford said:
As you can see, RAIN AGAIN. Everyday but 2 since june 1st :holysheep: .

" The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain "

I DON'T THINK SO............................

" The rain in MAINE falls freakin everywhere " :rolleyes:

That's more accurate.

I tryed to light my fire pit twice, ggrrrrrrrrr, no BBQ for me.

But the rain makes the buds grow tall...:woohoo:

ArtVandolay said:
Thanks, CadlakMike! Happy 4th to all my friends wherever you are :). It's traditional down here in FL to discharge one's firearms on the 4th when the fireworks start. And the fireworks are about to start :hubba:.

Soooo....were do all the bullets go?

Oh ya....happy 4rth everyone...im celebrating my independence by sitting here at work....:hairpull: But im on thirds and i work alone so im about to go out back and free my mind...:bong: with my own self grown fully independent ganja...HAPPY 4TH

i saw an episode on CSI once where dudes fired shots in air at stroke of midnite on new years and one the bullets came down like two blocks later and killed some dude.
i knwo ya thinkin yeah right.. but when ya do the math on the bullet fallin at a speed of that rate of speed it would surely be able to kill someone if it actually came down in that right spot at the right time. or should i say wrong spot wrong time lol.

zipflip said:
i saw an episode on CSI once where dudes fired shots in air at stroke of midnite on new years and one the bullets came down like two blocks later and killed some dude.
i knwo ya thinkin yeah right.. but when ya do the math on the bullet fallin at a speed of that rate of speed it would surely be able to kill someone if it actually came down in that right spot at the right time. or should i say wrong spot wrong time lol.

That would be interesting to look into. There is an old myth that if you throw a penny off the empire state building and it hits someone in the head it will kill them. Well mythbusters did a show on it and they found that a penny does not have enough mass to even break the skin. Myth busted! I wonder if the same would apply to a bullet or depending on the caliber does it have enough mass to hurt someone in a free fall. We regularly shoot into the air here for various holidays and occasions, but I'm pretty far in the country and always aim over top the woods. On that note, I'm gonna go let a few .223's free!!!

yup sure can kill someone. according to this anyway. they talk botu the mythbusters too lol.

hxxp://ask.yahoo.com/20061206.html

Dear Yahoo!:
Are people ever struck by stray bullets shot in the air?
Mike
Seattle, Washington

Dear Mike:
Popular TV show "Mythbusters" addressed this question, and concluded that a bullet shot perfectly straight in the air probably isn't dangerous, because of terminal velocity. However (and this is a big however), firing a gun straight in the air is very difficult. It's far more likely that the bullet will be shot at an angle. These falling bullets can be, and often are, lethal.

In January 2006, a Mississippi farmer was paralyzed by a falling bullet. At a 2003 Ku Klux Klan initiation ceremony in Tennessee, a stray bullet struck a participant "on the top of the head and exited at the bottom of his skull."

The Straight Dope agrees that many people have been struck by stray bullets. Between 1985 and 1992, a trauma center in Los Angeles treated 118 people for injuries caused by falling bullets, and 38 of the victims were killed. The International Action Network on Small Arms is doing its best to increase awareness about the dangers of celebratory gunfire.

So, to wrap things up, shooting guns in the air is a dangerous and unwise activity. If you're excited and feel the need to make a lot of noise, we recommend you use a cowbell. It's annoying, but at least there's no threat of injury.

you gonna think twice before shootin in the air next time now? LOL

ya also gotta think that the erth is moving at a rate of speed that is fast an i mean very fast. so when you shoot strit up in the air the bullet wont be comin down in the same exact spot. more that it'll travel farther if shot at angle an even fartehr yet just cuz teh fact that the errth is movin and after you shoot strait up its like runnin away from it but really you just standin still.

I remember as kids we used to shoot arrows as far up into the sky as we could then stand there and stare into the sky and wait for it to come back down so we could do it again....in hindsight this was pretty dumb, we were lucky to not get hurt or hurt someone else....but it sure was fun, lol........

zipflip said:
ya also gotta think that the erth is moving at a rate of speed that is fast an i mean very fast. so when you shoot strit up in the air the bullet wont be comin down in the same exact spot. more that it'll travel farther if shot at angle an even fartehr yet just cuz teh fact that the errth is movin and after you shoot strait up its like runnin away from it but really you just standin still.

What?
You saying if I could hit a golfball 300 yards facing east. That because the earth is turning, the same shot would be 600 yards going west?

What strain you smoking? I believe I might give it a try.

i'm not talkin that much a difference man. lol
i'd love to see you hit a hole in one that way man. just launch a golf ball strait in air. hey i just got an idea. make a smaller scale size potato gun to fit golf balls....:D and see where that sucker lands. imagine gettin hit wit one them ... lol
i dont know the exact calculations on distance, velocity speed etc all that but i do know that it is a difference due to the erth movin. i remember lernin it in school way back. no idea why i remember that tho.. lol

Then twice. Came along and single handedly and saved the world from world wars.

:rofl: Your history lessons need some work hahaha
You guys make me laugh with that stuff, everytime ya make a film about the world wars you make it look like you were the hero's too.

Dont believe everything you see at the movies guys lol :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Damn my sides hurt, that was hilarious.

Have you ever wondered what happened
to the 56 men who signed the
Declaration of Independence?

Five signers were captured by the British
as traitors, and tortured before they died.
Twelve had their homes ransacked and
burned. Two lost their sons serving in the
Revolutionary Army; another had two
sons captured.
Nine of the 56 fought and died from
wounds or hardships of the
Revolutionary War.
They signed and they pledged their lives,
their fortunes, and their sacred honor.

What kind of men were they?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists.

Eleven were merchants,
nine were farmers and large plantation
owners; men of means, well educated,
but they signed the
Declaration of Independence
knowing full well that the penalty would be
death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy
planter and trader, saw his ships swept
from the seas by the British Navy. He
sold his home and properties to pay his
debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the
British that he was forced to move his
family almost constantly. He served in the
Congress without pay, and his family
was kept in hiding. His possessions were
taken from him, and poverty was his
reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties
of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett,
Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson,
Jr., noted that the British General
Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson
home for his headquarters. He quietly
urged General George Washington
to open fire. The home was destroyed,
and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties
destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and
she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside
as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for
their lives. His fields and his gristmill were
laid to waste. For more than a year he lived
in forests and caves, returning home to find
his wife dead and his children vanished.

So, take a few minutes while enjoying your
4th of July holiday and silently thank
these patriots. It's not much to ask for the
price they paid.

Remember: freedom is never free!
It's time we get the word out that
patriotism is NOT a sin, and the Fourth of
July has more to it than beer, picnics, and
baseball games.

It's time we get the word out that
patriotism is NOT a sin

I agree whole heartedly.

Both our nations have sacrificed many and done much to try help others but yet in our own countries it seems to be wrong to be proud.

Anyone who has the balls to put the needs of others before themselves deserves our respect and those who fought for our freedoms in whatever era should always be remembered.

Great post Hick, was a little bit if education for me :)

Newbud said:
:rofl: Your history lessons need some work hahaha
You guys make me laugh with that stuff, everytime ya make a film about the world wars you make it look like you were the hero's too.

Dont believe everything you see at the movies guys lol :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Damn my sides hurt, that was hilarious.

lol. What you talkin bout Willis?
If you take a bunch of 5th graders playing basketball, and they are getting stomped by some adults. Then you put Michael Jordan on the 5th graders team and they end up winning. You can pretty much guarantee that Jordan did it singlehandedly.

No difference.

And great post Hick.

Latest posts

Back