Harvesting outdoor sunlight for indoor use.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red eyed gardener

Reaction score
I dont know if this is crazy or not but i have been trying to figure out how to grow in a greenhouse without the cops being able to see in with assistance from a chopper or other survielence equipment, and it led me to wondering if you could feflect enough sunlight through skylights or mirrors or foil or even what kind of contraption you would have to construct to give good yields?

There is a dome type skylight that is commercially available it has a length of flexible ducting that reflects the light where you want it. I don't know of anyone who's had one or how well they work but the look interesting.

Red eyed gardener said:
I dont know if this is crazy or not but i have been trying to figure out how to grow in a greenhouse without the cops being able to see in with assistance from a chopper or other survielence equipment, and it led me to wondering if you could feflect enough sunlight through skylights or mirrors or foil or even what kind of contraption you would have to construct to give good yields?

i used to start my od plants when frost was still a possibility. i used a huge construction size saw horse. it was 12ft. by 8 feet. i put legs on it. stapled 6 mil. poly evereywhere. the sunrays got through and it stayed warm in there. plants grew like crazy under the poly. could barely see through. could not id plants under plastic. still have this, but not used in a couple years. just goggled "hidden greenhouses". really cool , build it yourself greenhouses w/ pvc frame and poly roof.

i believe there is no better way to grow than a greenhouse. free sun, most powerful light out there and it's free. wind and rain protection. they tend to stay warm even in winter. solar huts.

i think your on the right track. check out hidden valey hibiscus, build your own. goodluck jmo:)

I really doubt it. Mirrors and foil are not good reflectors of light. Also, is reflected light as strong as direct light?

I would be very leery of growing in a greenhouse if you are not legal.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I really doubt it. Mirrors and foil are not good reflectors of light. Also, is reflected light as strong as direct light?

I would be very leery of growing in a greenhouse if you are not legal.

mirrors and foils?? where, when, what?? if i dared, and i don't, to build a roof of poly and pvc during rainy season,as 4u2 has, i would go w/ a full greenhouse. these are the best protected grow rooms avail. imho i had great luck growing under my mini greenhouse in spring. grew very fast under poly and was protected from view, wind, rain, hurricanes, etc.etc. it's no wonder they are so popular. were in a pretty populated area and scared to use greenhouse. other places maybe...a big shed w/ a poly roof might be less noticed.. just random thoughts..
mirrors and foils?????

I've been the constant ID'er as far as growing. Quick ? for you greenhousers:

Do you guys ventilate and have fans going just like an id grow?

7greeneyes said:
I've been the constant ID'er as far as growing. Quick ? for you greenhousers:

Do you guys ventilate and have fans going just like an id grow?

hi greeneyes, i had read about greenhouses and majority said "GREENHOUSES : BEST OF BOTH WORLDS". i have used a small( 12 by 8 by 6 ft. tall greenhouse w/ 6 mil poly all around. i have a stapled, velcro vent window, on sloped roof 11-8 by 2feet. i opened or closed depending on weather. also had (2) 3 by 4 feet, stapled velcro doors on each small end. again varied when open or not. this was a mickey mouse house that worked GREAT in early spring. young plants still in pots. still frost possibility.stayed warm at night. i feel, imo greenhouses ARE the best of both worlds. 2 issues, security and visibility. but in the right location, PERFECT...:) show pics. if you would like. i'm sure pros use fans, bdds., and louvers.

Yes 7green...I run fa s for air movement..specially when the rains come..We get that morning Dew on the plants so the constant air movement slows this a lot...

4u2sm0ke said:
Yes 7green...I run fa s for air movement..specially when the rains come..We get that morning Dew on the plants so the constant air movement slows this a lot...
Thanks for answering 4U:aok:

4u2sm0ke said:

did not know you did green house.?

7greeneyes said:
Yeah 4u's got it dialed as far as ODing it :)

LOVE his rerod/ pvc/ poly, rainy season roofs. it would be such a tell in my area though.:p ;)

Latest posts

Back