Heat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombbudpuffa

Sweet Cheeba Chiefa
Reaction score
My grow room is around 82-87 degrees when the lights are on. I want it more around 72-78. I have a squirrel cage fan(265cfm) for exhaust and a 135 cfm fan for intake. I also have an oscillating fan, about a 10 inch fan. Is there any way to bring my heat down like 10 degrees? I want like some type of cooling device. I can't exhaust anymore, no room for that. Preferably inexpensive! Thnx!:aok:

venting the light is the best way to bring down temps.. also moving the ballast outside the grow area. Point a oscillating fan at the reflector to dissapate heat faster.

Or you can make that intake passive I.e. no fan and build urself another carbon filter or get another filter and have two active exausts... getting them close to the top of the room as possible is key to lowering tems too...

Mr.Wakenbake said:
venting the light is the best way to bring down temps.. also moving the ballast outside the grow area. Point a oscillating fan at the reflector to dissapate heat faster.

Or you can make that intake passive I.e. no fan and build urself another carbon filter or get another filter and have two active exausts... getting them close to the top of the room as possible is key to lowering tems too...
I need some sort of cooling device. Thnx but I know alll the venting techniques...ventilation isn't the problem. I need some sort of cooler like an air conditioner but not so high priced. Just need to get my temps 10 degrees lower. Thnx!:)

I never had anyluck with a fan for cooling. It just blew hot air around. I had the same problem and went with an 8" inline exhaust fan from homedepot, made some alterations with my reflector and wala 10-15 degrees cooler.

100_09482.JPG

schlendrake said:
I never had anyluck with a fan for cooling. It just blew hot air around. I had the same problem and went with an 8" inline exhaust fan from homedepot, made some alterations with my reflector and wala 10-15 degrees cooler.
Good idea! Thnx!

my room is an average of 100 degreez!! circulating air is not a good idea.. I said **** it and im getting an A/C (portable) ... Is there any, i mean any other options?? repositioning light?? what position lowers temp 15 degreez???

I thought about an a/c as well but the cost was an issue. Basically you need to evacuate the old hot air and replace it with cooler air. The fan in my pic moves something like 1800cfm and my 4" intake is like 250cfm. this was the easiest least expensive way for me.

circulating air is not a good idea.
"blowing hot, stale air around inside the box" is not a good method, but "removing" and "replaceing" it IS...

I haven't done this yet (complete noob on his first grow)...

What about a heater core from a vehicle sitting on the end of your intake. It's pretty much a small radiator.

All you should need is the core (under 50 from a scrap yard if you can't find one yourself), some hosing, a small hydro pump and a fairly large plastic garbage can filled with water (maybe some insulation for the can to maintain a steady temperature). On the extreme days you could drop ice or cooler water from the tap.

Sounds pretty much like a DIY evaporative cooler. You would get condensation, but you could catch that and use it as pure water for your watering can or reservoir. Don't know how much reduction there would be in temps -- heater cores aren't very big, but for a small cab, the heater core wouldn't have to be that big. Another advantage is that it should pull some humidity out of the air, which can be a real advantage if your plants are in flower. Try it out and let us know how it works -- especially in the summer when heat and humidity start to climb.

Latest posts

Back