HeliCOPter questions and concerns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherwoodForest

Reaction score
Has anyone here flown on a chopper? How close do they have to be in order to distinguish plants? Way back I used to crap myself when they buzzed the house, but they were true LA County sheriff copters swooping with MJ on their minds. Here I have an occasional hilo flying high in the sky, definetly not swooping directly over the grow. Just would feel better if someone with first hand knowledge could shed some light on the situation. ;)

I don't know :D. The helicopters here are out killing skeeters and thank heaven for that. I've wondered the same thing, though. I wave to the heli pilot all the time, he's a regular 'round these parts :). The heli flies about 40 feet over the ground, for what that's worth.

I have some satori clones I don't have room for and can't bring myself to compost... I absolutely cannot make up my mind how much risk I'm taking by planting them outside. I'm not a waffler by nature, either :). I can't imagine the skeeter sprayer reports suspicious plants but I'm not all that imaginative.

I saw a movie, i forget the name of it, i think cheech and chong but to cover there operation they used a huge covered tent and painted it like water, a pool. When it ripped they pretended to be swimming, lol.
The helicopters were flying around and it looked like a pool from above, lol.

Don't know where you are from but this is from the Hawaii Marijuana eradication rules, might give you a general idea on altitude.

* Police aerial observers who are taking part in a marijuana reconnaissance mission shall make every reasonable effort to ensure that the aircraft maintains a minimum altitude of 1000 feet while directly over homes, buildings, urban and rural areas used mainly for family dwellings and immediate areas where livestock is contained. Should probable cause exist that illegal marijuana plants are being cultivated; the helicopter may descend to a minimum altitude of 500 feet.

hxxp://www.hawaiipolice.com/misc/mj_eradication_rules.htm

You should check your states Marijuana eradication rules.

Many years ago, and in a parallel universe, I worked with a recon project. One of the various devices being used was an infra-red 'camera' that was attuned to jungle foliage. Different types of plants give off different heat signatures. One could view the recorded images and 'see' different things by comparing what was on the film against what 'should' have been on the film. Like, machinery under jungle foliage would give a different heat signature than just plain foliage. I recall hearing somewhere, many years ago, that the weed hunters were using similar technology, based on the premise that MJ plants give off a recognisable heat signature, and a trained observer would know what to look for and could spot our plants quite readily. I have absolutely no idea whether this type of technology is being used today, but if it was, a chopper could be way up there and still lock onto your grow. The good news for 'backyard' growers is that the higher up the chopper, the bigger the field of plants would have to be. I couldn't begin to guess how sophisticated the stuff is they're using today, nor how easily they could 'see' a handful of plants in someones backyard. But paranoia reigns supreme.

Im not sure but maybe you are confused? IR cameras could not possibly be sensitive enough to compare very near ambient plant temps from 500 feet from a twin jet turbine aircraft burning an ungodly amount of fuel and blasting it near the camera. it just couldn't work.

Police use IR to see thru your house either via helicopter or car. they can see hot rooms, lights, ducting, hoods, ballasts, etc.

When spotting outside plants from air, they use color and shape. they look for either light green or dark green circles contrastingthe surrounding foliage. pot plants grow in circle fractals when viewed from above.

ive heard of leo useing some kind of camera that can see pot b/c its color is different from "natural" growth
also know that a helicopter cannot fly over your house looking for marijuana in canada
a judge ruled that air space above your property is private
so if they flew by and saw 5- 10 plants i believe youd get off easy
but if you had 150 plants in a 150 sq foot backyard it might be different

Lemmongrass said:
Police use IR to see thru your house either via helicopter or car. they can see hot rooms, lights, ducting, hoods, ballasts, etc.

When spotting outside plants from air, they use color and shape. they look for either light green or dark green circles contrastingthe surrounding foliage. pot plants grow in circle fractals when viewed from above.
Thanks that is usefull stuff.

I'll give all you good folks some examples of the technology that's out there right now.

Keep in mind that the price tag for the purchase of most of this gadgetry is scary and some of it even costs a bundle just to use for awhile because of insurance costs and running costs.

1. IR cameras with high contrast screens that can easily see 1 degree differentials. High band, low band lockouts with mid-range tuning that can see a single match light from a mile in bright sunlight and measure it's temperature. Most of that has been out for a decade. It's used for a lot of things, pot plant viewing isn't one I've heard of, but those buttwads do have a lot of our money to play with.

The cameras are mounted on vibration compensating structure that keeps it right on balance within a serious range of vibration frequencies and magnitudes. It also will absorb any flight direction changes without any spinning, shaking or wobble. This is the type of mount that is used when they film stuff for the "Helicopter View" in movies like we've all seen at IMAX.

Forestry Choppers and aircraft use them for filming new growth patterns of plantings. The cameras can be set to block anything that isn't the heat return from a certain size and age of plant, down to a tenth of a degree within a given size range. They low fly over a known patch to get everything set and then just gain altitude and wait for all the locks. Once the machine tells them it's ready, it'll find that same age and size of plant all day long.

Mostly, with the plant piggies, it's a matter of what the budget is used for. Spend a million running a chopper back and forth and you could have paid for 6 months of overtime for the ground troops. Sometimes, both aren't possible. Especially smaller towns and cities.

The key to sound and sight filming and recording is filtering. Anyone can have the power needed and a device to point, but having what you're aiming at show up clear or sound clear from a useful distance requires filtering of all the crap between you and the object of your desire.

That's more millions in cost.

So, is the bacon hovering over your yard looking for MJ? I doubt it. If the equipment is on while they're making a run to a BIG operation, AND you have enough to get their attention (like 100 plants), and they can afford the time to mess with it, then sure, they carry cell phones. "Hi Billy Bob, Yeah, lon/lat whatever, ya got about 100 plants it looks like. Yeah, sure, see you at the bar tonight".

There are three things that make any business work.

1. Budget

2. Budget

3. Budget

I don't care if it's a Cop Shop or a Barber Shop, the books have to balance and money really doesn't grow on trees. The piggies have to pay for everything they do too. It all comes out of their budgets.

Flying over yards looking at pot plants by the one's and three's isn't worth it to them.

You have more to worry about with the nosey old busy-body two houses over than you do from cop choppers. Unless you have ten thousand plants down in that valley...

I have a family member who does aerial photography for a major mapping company. He knows the model numbers for that stuff. He has catalogs for equipment like that and tells me that one item in this wish book might cost 10 million bucks. His camera in the plane he uses costs 4 million, just for the camera.

Thought you guys might want to know the level of stuff that's out there. It can all be rented by the cops too. The owner of the company I'm talking about rents out to anyone with the money. They fly, you look. They'll record anything you want. Just pay the man his millions.

There's that damn budget thing again.

Years ago when I moved into a new pad I had a half dozen plants on my patio that I had brought over in a U-Haul from my old house. Within a day low choppers kept flying overhead sometimes a couple times a day and sometimes weeks apart, they almost always were going the same direction and they were freaking me out! :eek: I definitely had some Ray Liotta moments... One day as I was pulling out of the driveway in my car I saw one going over the neighborhood and I drove in the direction that the chopper flew. About 2 miles down there was a hospital with a heli landing pad and they were unloading a patient from the chopper... Whew! :rolleyes:

Peace!:cool:

I don't care if it's a Cop Shop or a Barber Shop, the books have to balance and money really doesn't grow on trees. The piggies have to pay for everything they do too. It all comes out of their budgets.
hee hee hee... "someone" should essplain that to our administration!..;)

Hick said:
hee hee hee... "someone" should essplain that to our administration!..;)
Hahahaahaha, I was talking about a business that actally has to answer to someone. Governments don't any more. Never ask the guy who prints the money to be your loan officer. He won't have a realistic viewpoint of the books.

Yikes! Hick, don't you get me going on that bunch! :holysheep:

how realistic is the concern of them seeing a grow room in a third floor bedroom,
lets say a 400w and 600w in a bedroom with only a small attic between them and me, i ask because choppers are flying over me alot at night.

dman1234 said:
how realistic is the concern of them seeing a grow room in a third floor bedroom,
lets say a 400w and 600w in a bedroom with only a small attic between them and me, i ask because choppers are flying over me alot at night.

I think "realistic" is the key word here. The technology to do it is readily available. The question is, would your local LEO have the money, personnel, and other resources to spend looking for it. Most likely the answer is NO.

Im not sure but maybe you are confused? IR cameras could not possibly be sensitive enough to compare very near ambient plant temps from 500 feet from a twin jet turbine aircraft burning an ungodly amount of fuel and blasting it near the camera. it just couldn't work.

Lemmongrass -- Hate to disagree, but the stuff we were doing over the jungles 40 years ago was pretty impressive.

that i understand, sure it can be done with the right skill and tech, but thats just not how police find pot plants from the sky.

I live under the inbound flightpath for an international airport. that means 20-40 planes a day that i see and atleast 10 choppers. we are right in the midle of 5 hospitals and 3 major highways haha. all kinds of crap flying over me all day.

Lemmongrass said:
that i understand, sure it can be done with the right skill and tech, but thats just not how police find pot plants from the sky.

I live under the inbound flightpath for an international airport. that means 20-40 planes a day that i see and at least 10 choppers. we are right in the middle of 5 hospitals and 3 major highways haha. all kinds of crap flying over me all day.
You live in an advantageous place then. Most of the equipment I've discussed can't be used near hospitals. Most won't be used near an airport either.

Good spot.

ShecallshimThor said:
also know that a helicopter cannot fly over your house looking for marijuana in canada
a judge ruled that air space above your property is private
so if they flew by and saw 5- 10 plants i believe youd get off easy
but if you had 150 plants in a 150 sq foot backyard it might be different

this is for sure? interesting thanks.

im 90% sure that its true
ive read it somewhere but cant remember but if you can ask a lawyer for sure
found a new product Thermal Shield
"improves upon the poly shield with more sealing ability to withstand any kind of infrared search."

Latest posts

Back