Help! Dealing With Monsters!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redeye88

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for clicking on the post.

~I have three very beautiful & healthy female purple #1 plants growing under a 400w hps lamp in 5gal pots filled w/ fox farm ocean forest. They are in their 2nd week of flowering and already producing some nice looking buds.

~The only thing that I am worried about is that two of the three plants are pretty tall & growing at a fast rate. The tallest is about 5 ft tall from floor. The second tallest plant is a couple inches shorter than the biggest and the last is a good foot shorter..

~is there anything i can do to restrict the plant from growing any taller?? I only have about another foot and a half of space to raise my reflector and im worried the tall plants are going to reach the ceiling and/or get burnt...

~is the space in the 5gallon pot going to eventually limit the plants roots so it stops growing?

.......please guys, any suggestions or advice would be incredible. thank you:holysheep:

if it's too tall, just grab from the top and pull down till it starts to feel like it might break, then tie her down!

LST those bad girls. some of them just need to be tied down. there are many threads on this forum that go more in depth. basically u gently bend them over and tie them that way. also you could pinch the stem and roll it in your fingers, be carefull not to actually break the stem, and bend it over. either way your buds will continue growin toward the light without the plant itself getting much taller.

If they are in the second week of flowering they will sop growing taller within a week or two. If they get too tall you can bend the top so it is horizontal to the light. Just tie on a string and put tension on the string then tie the other end off to somthing...

Also you may want to get the shorter plant up on some blocks so its top is level with the taller plants, it will help the buds on the smaller plant get more light and not be shadowed by the taller plants...

/\ Yeah, they shouldn't get much taller if any at this point. Like others said, bend them so the sides of the flower get exposed to the light. It will give you more room and it will make them happier in the process. Try to avoid pinching or bending in the flowering stage, I don't think you want to stress them out at all at this point.

I would definitey tie the tops down. This is one of mine just starting it's second week of flower and I can already see it stretching more than I would like. I take dental floss, loop it around the stem, and tape it to the side of the pot. The first pic shows this, the second pic is the same pic with the main stem outlined in blue and the dental floss in red so you can see it. The top was tied over two days before the photo was taken and you can see the plant has already reoriented itself and is growing back up towards the light. If you use something as thin as dental floss check it every so often to make sure it is not so tight it is digging into the stem. But if you tie it up right it should not be a problem, this is why I just loop the plant instead of tying a knot around the stem.

Jack Herer.jpg

Jack Herer1.JPG

dirtyolsouth said:
You can tie them down to keep them under the lights or if you want you could check into a growth inhibitor product called Humboldt's Own Bushmaster. I've never used it but from the posts on the forums it really does work although they really say to follow the instructions to the letter and use the lower recommended dosage until you know what it's doing to your strain. Ideally you should have a 'control' plant that doesn't receive BM to compare with but I doubt if too many people get that deep into research. A couple of applications and it puts the breaks on vertical growth and puts all the plant's energies into flowering. I might try it with a notoriously monstrous sativa strain next round...

Happy Growing!:cool:

So this product is designed to keep the plants small or is it just a fertilizer that uses this as a selling point? Seems kind of odd to pay for a product that reduces stretch, why not just use more light or LST the plants? (Sorry for jumping in with a question). I just thought this post above was interesting and was hoping to hear more.

am growing hydroin five gal buckets and I have been tying mine every week. I in my third week of flowering.

Latest posts

Back