Help diagnose please!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theCre8or

Reaction score
My 6 day old seedling has brown edges and other yellow spots!

I was thinking this was due to heat stress. The first couple of days my grow box temp was way to hot. A bit out of control. 90 degrees plus. This is when I noticed the first set of ridged leaves with yellow and brown edges near the tip. I did some research and found this yellowing good be due to heat stress. I cooled the box down to about 77-80 degrees with some ventilation changes. A couple days later, the first smooth seedling leaves began showing yellowing near the edges. The stem is purple.

Is the purple stem normal for Jock Horror? I read that a purple stem and yellow leaves may be a nute defficiency.

from the guide in sick platn forum:

potassium (K) problem. Solve this by adding more K to your plants.
Potassium problems also result in red/purple stems although this can be a genetic trait in the plant or due to a cold growing environment. Potassium problems normally affect new growth first, before moving on to the older leaves. A potassium deficiency will also eventually affect the stems causing them to become either soft or brittle depending on the strain. In severe cases the plant will eventually die.

It's hard to see the color in the pictures. Everythign seems a bit more yellow than it actually is.

Some info about my grow
Strain: Jock Horror
Soil: Fox Farms with Bat Guano and Worm Casings
Nutes: none yet
Water schedule: About every couple of days so far. I judge by sticking my finger in the soil about 2 inches. If it's wet, I wait. If it feels almost dry, I water.
Lights: (4) 2700k 2600 lumens CFL's, (3) 5500k 1300 Lumens CFL from Home Depot.

Any thoughts, here? THanks for your help!!

DSCF0896.JPG

DSCF0893.JPG

your problem is your soil, seedlings dont require nutes till a caouple of weeks after the first leaves, ur over ferting them with that soil, on the same note i would add some perlite to that soil, so your watering wont stay in your pot overfeeding the plants.. with the perlite it creates more aeration for the roots and helps the plant grow faster..

Ok

I' ve prepared a perlite mix of about 60 soil 40 perlite. How's that ratio?

I'm flushing the soil now. I'll flush it again after it drains a bit.

Does the soil need to be cut more? What else should I mix in? Peat moss?

Thanks for the tips!!!!!

that soil is fine to use and doesnt need perlite added to it... should be good to go for 2 weeks with it then get the ocean forest soil(it has perlite in it)... usually i just start of with the FFOF soil from the get go but they where out.....

check out my med grow and you can see how my plants did until i transplanted to the FFOF and what I added to the red bag soil to give it some ump to use after the first 2 weeks.(didnt want to waste it)

IMHO the high temps at the start probably has something to do with it as you will see if you browse my grow....I did the same as you have so far just not the high heat issues...

I would give em a couple more days and see if the new growth looks ok

hope that helps ya some

HGB, do you think the Bat Guano and Worm Casings could be making that soil hot?

Growdude said:
HGB, do you think the Bat Guano and Worm Casings could be making that soil hot?

IMHO no... been a fan of FF products since they started out...nice neighbors to have;) ;)

like I said your lucky to have 2 weeks worth in that soil and it is week.... made just for seedlings, It's the chiz:hubba:

HGB said:
IMHO no... been a fan of FF products since they started out...nice neighbors to have;) ;)

like I said your lucky to have 2 weeks worth in that soil and it is week.... made just for seedlings, It's the chiz:hubba:

Then it comes with Bat Guano and Worm Casings in the mix, I see.
Sounds like nice neighbors too have.

i have the same problem with grow-mix that have slow release nuts in them. i couldnt find any "clean" grow mix for seedlings so i took about a gallon of mix and put it in a container with 2-3 gallons of pure water and let it seet for an hour. then i strain it and squeeze it with a piece of cloth.
this water came out 1.4 ec , when i did it the second time the water came out 0.4 ec , allso , i mix this with perlite and vermiculite (70-30)
and the results are great. seedlings do great now in my little garden.
allso i learned verry importent thing , when some thing wrong with your seedling , it is most likely nute burn.
good luck.

Hi guys,

hte new growth does not look aok. I'm looking at all the picturs of all the different plants here and my green is just to bright/pale and yellow. Everyone has such a deep dark green. I'm also starting to get some purple spots in the veins. I'm thinking it's a K defficiency as this sounds like it is described this way in the trobule shooting posts. I can't explain it, however. The soil is a good Fox Farms Potting soil. Why would it be nutrient defficient already? Maybe the initial heat shock caused the plant to go in to nutrient lock out? One other bit of info. I did not flush this soil first. Didn't realize I had to until after I planted it. Maybe I should do a good flush now, before adding any K? I get paid tomorrow, so I may just buy a container of K and give it a go. Maybe I'll flush it now first. How long should I wait for a change before going to the k? The plant is about 12 days old.

Thanks for yout help. This is my first grow.

Stems and branches can be purple. Several of my plants have it- esp with LSt'ing. I wouldnt worry about it. It's normal for some strains to purple/red up. And this early in your grow, your plant won't tell you much, becuase it is still getting established. Don't over read any little imperfections in your plant. I know it's your baby and all, but it's a plant and going to do it's own thing in due time. Just sit back and watch it unfold man. :hubba:

And if you're using FF soil, i would not flush- I mean you paid good money for that great organic soil with all the extra in it. I'd wait on the Potassium adding too- In fact, no nutes should be added yet till about the 3rd/4th week of veg. The soil has enough to sustain until then. I think you'll see great improvement in the next few weeks =)

THanks for the tips. I keep telling myself to be patient and let it ride.
I think I'll wait a bit more before doing anything else. On the bag of soil it says "as always any new soild should be flush onced before use." I took that to mean it's not a big deal, but a good idea to be sure nothing is "concentrated" in any one spot. Just a plain water flush won't complete rob it if nutes, right?

THanks!

Latest posts

Back