Spots on leaves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DWC water temp should be below 70 deg IMO, ideally around 60 deg. New leaf deficiencies can be a sign of root rot or other temperature related issues. @gmo is our resident expert. I'm still way behind the learning curve on DWC issues.
I think that makes sense because soil in nature is normally cool especially under the shade of leaves. Temperature is also a factor in the pH/nutrient uptake curve.

I thought it was necessary to flush the Girl Scout Cookies, but that was after harvest and only to remove the soap and spider mites from the buds : )

DWC water temp should be below 70 deg IMO, ideally around 60 deg. New leaf deficiencies can be a sign of root rot or other temperature related issues. @gmo is our resident expert. I'm still way behind the learning curve on DWC issues.
Yea I honestly never paid attention to the res temp, only the heat & humidity. I just ordered a thermometer so we’ll see what it is…my roots are healthy though other than the little bit of algae that was growing underneath the lid because I had a light leak. At least, they look like it to me. I will definitely try to dial it in on my next attempt.

Attachments

• 8168F78B-0359-4C21-BBF0-D059D4B8D0BC.jpeg
    8168F78B-0359-4C21-BBF0-D059D4B8D0BC.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Roots look good.

When growing in water I highly recommend a very good pH meter and ec meter. Keep them calibrated. They will have a thermometer built in -- that's how they can calculate accurate pH and ec.

I use a reservoir chiller set to 65f. Ideally you want to keep your reservoir in the 62-68f range. As temperature goes down, oxygen saturation goes up. I've tried running cooler than 65f, but find that's the best for me. You may also consider using a product like hydro guard which will help break down organic material in your reservoir and help prevent root rot.

Your issue is surely calmag related. This I'm sure of.

You say your pH is in the ideal range. What is that? What's your ec or ppm? And once you get your thermometer, I'd like to know the res temp, too. Are you growing under LEDs? If yes, calmag deficiency will be exasperated.

Right now what is recommend is doubling the calmag dose of the label (or 4x what you're currently giving) and pH res to pH5.7-5.9.

Yea I honestly never paid attention to the res temp, only the heat & humidity. I just ordered a thermometer so we’ll see what it is…my roots are healthy though other than the little bit of algae that was growing underneath the lid because I had a light leak. At least, they look like it to me. I will definitely try to dial it in on my next attempt.
Pretty roots for sure
did you use any roots additive?
They look good enough to eat (angel Hair comes to mind) watch out Joe does see them

You say your pH is in the ideal range. What is that? What's your ec or ppm? And once you get your thermometer, I'd like to know the res temp, too. Are you growing under LEDs? If yes, calmag deficiency will be exasperated.
pH is sitting right around 6 and I don’t have a meter to test the ec or ppm. I’ll have to get one of those as well. I use the ph drops that came with my pH up & down kit. Yes I am in fact using leds. I will add more calmag asap. This grow was very very impromptu. My buddy gave me a seed and I just went with it. Nothing was planned and I never grew hydro before. My question is if that yellowing spreads to the buds will it hurt them? Like will it affect taste or potency?

Also, I’ll tell you what, I’m definitely going to invest in some net pots or something. My baby keeps falling over. Started it in one of those aero garden stake thingys and for the last two days I’ve turned the light on to my baby laying over. I tied the hell out of it (which was a huge pita) but next time…definitely net pots 😂

Pretty roots for sure
did you use any roots additive?
They look good enough to eat (angel Hair comes to mind) watch out Joe does see them
No root additives. I’ve actually been researching what to do with them. They say you can make a tea but they don’t contain much if any thc. What I think I’ll do is just brew the roots, fan leaves, sugar leaves and stems and make a butter or something.

Last edited:
No root additives. I’ve actually been researching what to do with them. They say you can make a tea but they don’t contain much of any thc. What I think I’ll do is just brew the roots, fan leaves, sugar leaves and stems and make a butter or something.
ROOTS SHOULD ONLY BE USED FOR TOPICALS
Be very careful with roots, I have read people have taken them internally, but I would not .
The roots have an anti-inflammatory property and can be used safely if you steep them in some coconut oil in a crock pot on low for approx. 18hrs. when the balm hardens you can apply it safely to any effected areas you may have. TOPICAL Only.
You can also add some THC to make pain creme.

Last edited:
pH is sitting right around 6 and I don’t have a meter to test the ec or ppm. I’ll have to get one of those as well. I use the ph drops that came with my pH up & down kit. Yes I am in fact using leds. I will add more calmag asap. This grow was very very impromptu. My buddy gave me a seed and I just went with it. Nothing was planned and I never grew hydro before. My question is if that yellowing spreads to the buds will it hurt them? Like will it affect taste or potency?

Also, I’ll tell you what, I’m definitely going to invest in some net pots or something. My baby keeps falling over. Started it in one of those aero garden stake thingys and for the last two days I’ve turned the light on to my baby laying over. I tied the hell out of it (which was a huge pita) but next time…definitely net pots 😂
Mine fell over too, net pots and all.. Going to screw the net pots to the lid next time.

np001.jpg

ROOTS SHOULD ONLY BE USED FOR TOPICALS
Be very careful with roots, I have read people have taken them internally, but I would not .
The roots have an anti-inflammatory property and can be used safely if you steep them in some coconut oil in a crock pot on low for approx. 18hrs. when the balm hardens you can apply it safely to any effected areas you may have. TOPICAL Only.
You can also add some THC to make pain creme.
Ok thanks for the heads up. I had not read that they could be dangerous. I will make a salve then with all the leftovers. Should I decarb the sugar leaves and fan leaves with trichs first? I buy this stuff called hempstrax topical cbd but it’s like $120 a pop for 4oz. Sometimes they run a bogo but it works almost instantly for pain. Making my own would sure save me some money.

Last edited:
Mine fell over too, net pots and all.. Going to screw the net pots to the lid next time.

View attachment 316654
Someone told me to buy the 5 gallon bucket lids with net pots built in. Think I’ll give those a shot. Another thing I’m going to do is add a submersible water pump to pump water in and out. Popping the lid off and then laying my plant on the floor for 5 minutes while I go wash and refill is asinine. Huge pita!!!!!

Someone told me to buy the 5 gallon bucket lids with net pots built in. Think I’ll give those a shot. Another thing I’m going to do is add a submersible water pump to pump water in and out. Popping the lid off and then laying my plant on the floor for 5 minutes while I go wash and refill is asinine. Huge pita!!!!!
A swamp cooler pump works well for this.

Ok thanks for the heads up. I had not read that they could be dangerous. I will make a salve then with all the leftovers. Should I decarb the sugar leaves and fan leaves with trichs first? I buy this stuff called hempstrax topical cbd but it’s like $120 a pop for 4oz. Sometimes they run a bogo but it works almost instantly for pain. Making my own would sure save me some money.hemptrax
I would decarb the weed 1st
Make the root oil separate and add it to the weed THC balm when they are both finished
This will be better than hemptrex.

If you do use the weed trims you may want to use an alcohol strip method and make a tincture 1st
then infuse that into the root coconut oil through boiling the alcohol off.

Latest posts

Back